The Murder of Elizabeth Stride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert

"Why is there a chap from Greyfriars School standing extreme right? What was he doing in the East End?"

You reckon he was a cut above the rest?

Fisherman

Comment

• Hi Fisherman

Maybe he was up before the Head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
        Hi Niko. And you're sure you're not thinking of the Chapman murder site, which was located behind a barber shop? However, I think that shop closed in the 60's. So, perhaps Matthew Packer's old residence had become a barber shop by the 70's? That would be awesome if you got your hair cut in Packer's place.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
        Hi Tom, I,m not thinking of the Chapman murder site, I'm not sure but I think it had somthing to do with the parallel street to Berner st now Henrique st, Batty st was the site, I think, but what I am sure is that I had my hair cut in Berner st, and there was a close nitted Jewish community that lived above the shop's, there was also talk in the area that there was a barber's shop of petticoat lane, which also had something to do with the Whitchapel murder's.

I remember visiting there a few times but the barber's was closed. I used to enjoy listening to the old folk in my area as a kid, especially when they talked about " Jack the ripper " things about the Burner Club, the murder sites and them sort of thing's, by the way the barber's I visited as a kid was Jewish, ok then mate all the best, Agur.

Comment

• Niko, was it Alf's?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
            ...and with two signs, saying "Haircutting" and "Hair Cuttng". One wonders what the difference was. Perhaps, though, the severed head had the answer ...?

The best,
            Fisherman
            The Hairdresser's name was Reginald O. Hair. My grandfather knew him.
            Since he was the onky one who did the cutting, the sign made sense.

Mike
            huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Hi ,Rob, can't tell you if it was Alf's, sorry. My usual barber's name was Charlie,he was Greek and his shop was in Christian Street, just round the corner from Berner street. My memeory is playing trick's on me, I'm thinking If I ever saw the name " alf's " on the barber's sign in Berner st. What I do remember he was a stocky bloke, dark hair well combed back, and mustache, black tie , white shirt and a white jacket, he was in his late 40s early 50s, also that he laughed when I asked him about the barber's shop haveing something to do with " jack the ripper ". All the best, Agur.

Comment

• Thanks for the pic, Stephen. LOL. It says the hair dresser is A. Cohen. Maybe we need to take another look at Aaron Davis Cohen. LOL.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                X