• Time
  • Show
Clear All

'That's the point of them - a bit of whimsy, nothing more.'

Thank you, Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Norder View Post
      Sam,

There's a good reason for that. The Letters from Hell version is from the exact same Popular Romances of the West of England book written by Hunt (the book cited by Mike above) with the exact same "Duffy and the Devil" story... just an earlier printing of that book.
      Good catch, Dan. I only noticed Mike's reference to "Duffy and the Devil", not the "Popular Romances...", hence my error.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
        'That's the point of them - a bit of whimsy, nothing more.'

Thank you, Sam.
        Indeed, AP.

For those baffled by that exchange, my original post (since edited) was explaining to AP that the quote underneath my message-board signature was a bit of whimsy, albeit one that means something to me.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Nice to catch you on the hop, Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
            Nice to catch you on the hop, Sam.
            Not at all, AP.

(Read that how you will )
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Hi All,

Regarding Stephenson's "Dead or Alive" story, I have collected several stories dating back to the late 1700's early 1800's that contain similar stories.

The bride is due to marry, makes a proimise, dies, but turns up later in spirit form. Most of the stories are the same, with the exception of a couple that have the male dying.

I have also been digging out some of my victorian ghost books, and yorkshire folklore books to establish if there are any similar storis, preceeding his story from this locale.
              Regards Mike

Comment

Perhaps I'm just bulling, but...

A while back I found a version of the "Openshaw Song" (link here) under the guise of the "Upper Denton Hornpipe", which has been attributed to Scotland and - I've since found out - to Northumbria. Morpeth, to be precise.

As I indicated over on Howard's site earlier today, I was browsing through Thomas Bulling's ancestry the other day, when I found this:

1881 Census Return for 22 Penshurst Road, Hackney
                Elizabeth Bulling (Head), Widow, 63, b. St George East. Annuitant
                Thomas J Bulling (Son), Single, 34, b. St Luke, Chelsea. Manager, Telegraphic News Agency
                Alfred Bulling (Son), Single, 24, b. St Luke, Chelsea. Commercial clerk (Out of employment)
                Elizabeth Bulling (Daur), Single, 21, b. St Luke, Chelsea. No Occupation

So far, so unremarkable. Now look at TJ's neighbours:

1881 Census Return for 24 Penshurst Road, Hackney
                John E Buchanan (Head), Married, 39, b. Scotland, Glasgow. Merchant
                Mary (Wife), Married, 43, b. Scotland, Leith
                Mary W S (Daur), 11, b. Northumberland, Newcastle. Scholar
                Margaret R (Daur), 10, b. Northumberland, Newcastle. Scholar
                Patrick (Son), 8, b. Scotland, Arbroath. Scholar
                Henrietta W (Daur), 5, b. Scotland, Arbroath. Scholar

So, TJ Bulling had, in 1881, Scottish neighbours who had once lived in Northumberland (Newcastle is 16 miles from Morpeth). I wonder if they brought any tunes from the old country when they moved to London and shared them with the folks next door?

Fanciful, maybe - but you never know...
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Ta-ta, old c*ck o' the north.

Comment

Working...
                  X