Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A hard stare

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I've been walking around with a question, and I can't seem to find the answer: I've read -- perhaps in Sugden's book -- about a witness account in which the witness stated that she (I think it was a she) saw a man walk with a woman, who later that night was killed by the Ripper. The witness looked at them, but the man gave her such a hard, intense look that she had to look away. Therefore, she hadn't been able to take a good look at him.

Does anyone know this story, and where it can be found? Thanks in advance.

Hello Kundalini, and welcome to the boards.

I'm not sure about a woman making that statement, but from the testimony of George Hutchinson to the police on Nov. 12, we have this:

'...I stood against the lamp of the Queen’s Head Public House and watched him. They both came past me and the man hung his head down with his hat over his eyes. I stooped down and looked him in the face. He looked at me stern...'

If someone else recalls a different episode, I'm sure they will relate that to you.
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Hi,
      The reaction of Astracan to Hutchinsons behaviour is intresting, he clearly was not the same person who accosted Stride ie BS.
      Her attack was carried out by a person who was not concerned about an affray, so not only were the two different physically, but not on the same wavelength mentally.
      He would have told Hutch... to butt out for sure.
      Regards Richard.

Comment

Hunter,

Thanks -- I had actually already found that one myself while ploughing a bit through the Casebook, yet had discarded it as it's not the one I mean. I'm sorry I can't recall more details, I hate to be so vague. I'm positive I've read about it either here or in Sugden's book: yet if it was in the latter, it should be possible to find it here too I reckon. I'm certain it was in the Ripper case, absolutely certain.

I pretty much went through all the female witnesses' accounts of the canonical victims.

Comment

Working...
        X