Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jenkinson

Hello Roy. Thanks.

So sorry, not trying to be mysterious. "Sir Ed" was Sir Edward Jenkinson (AKA, "The Spymaster").

Do you have "Fenian Fire" per chance? If not, I'd be glad to discuss this most interesting lad with you.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Can you elaborate more on the above and what it pertains?

Comment

Hi Krinoid,

The 1880s spy/intelligence/informer shenanigans is impossible to explain in a few brief paragraphs.

Grab yourself a paperback copy of Fenian Fire by Christy Campbell.

It's enthralling. You'll recognise many familiar names.

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
          Grab yourself a paperback copy of Fenian Fire by Christy Campbell.

It's enthralling. You'll recognise many familiar names.
          Hi Simon

Does it remotely indicate Fenian involvement in the JTR case?
          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi Stephen,

No, not in the slightest. In fact Jolly Jack is given fairly short shrift.

But what the book does do supremely well is paint in the Fenian/Clan na Gael/IRB/Special Branch/Metropolitan Police/CID/Political backdrop details of the events leading up to, and including, the Parnell Special Commission which ran in parallel with the Whitechapel murders.

Required reading, in my view.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Simon

Yes I bought it (together with the Porter book*) on Lynn's recommendation...and I agree...there is SO much going on behind the scenes in 1880s policing...and whilst there's not necessarily any direct connection with JtR it's not difficult to understand why some folk feel there might be...

Either way, fantastic historical insight into the era...

All the best

Dave

(PS * = "The origins of the vigilant state" Bernard Porter)

Comment

Hi Stephen,

No, not in the slightest. In fact Jolly Jack is given fairly short shrift.

But what the book does do supremely well is paint in the Fenian/Clan na Gael/IRB/Special Branch/Metropolitan Police/CID/Political backdrop details of the events leading up to, and including, the Parnell Special Commission which ran in parallel with the Whitechapel murders.

Required reading, in my view.

Regards,

Simon
                Well said Simon, I agree completely. Required reading indeed.

I would have thought that every serious student would want to know more about what the senior men investigating the Ripper crimes were also investigating at the same time. That information is essential when assessing what kind of commitment to the Ripper cases we see from them...(cue Sir Robby having to be summoned home from Paris).

Its also worth addressing the fact that Members of Parliament also visited the site. Its unclear whether the Senior PO Official, the RIC and the members were together in one group, but they are listed together.

A reasonable thing one can assume is that these men were there representing their various departments and investigating this crime. Which would imply that Mary or Joe had some self rule Irish connections of interest to the RIC, that they had some suspected connection to the Post Office...(Post office robbery on the 30th?), and that Parliament, which had just reconvened the Monday before the Kelly murder, had some interest in this murder.

Political? Maybe.....again, just read the book folks.
                Last edited by Michael W Richards; 09-21-2012, 09:08 PM.
                Michael Richards

Comment

Hi Dave,

Keep an eye out for another Bernard Porter book -

"Plots and Paranoia: A History of Political Espionage in Britain 1790 - 1888.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Michael,

Yes, the book tells you a lot about the remits and responsibilities of people such as James Monro and Robert Anderson.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Oh wow

Keep an eye out for another Bernard Porter book -

"Plots and Paranoia: A History of Political Espionage in Britain 1790 - 1888.
                      Thanks Simon...will do...added to my (already lengthy!) list...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Are there two threads about this?
                        I thought we had discussed the possibility that the two RIC members were perhaps men giving evidence at the Parnell Inquiry? A couple were mentioned in the papers November time as being in London and taking in the sights I recall?
                        Last edited by Debra A; 09-22-2012, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Debra,

Do you incline towards the idea that the RIC officers were simply rubber-necking at Millers Court?

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Debra,

Do you incline towards the idea that the RIC officers were simply rubber-necking at Millers Court?

Regards,

Simon
                            I'm not sure but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibilty,would you? We know for definite some named officers were giving eidence not too far away and we know they had free time to go up West and enjoy themselves so why not have free time to be invited along to Miller's Court in some capacity or another?
                            Last edited by Debra A; 09-22-2012, 09:37 PM.

Comment

possibilities

Hello Debs, Simon. There were many RIC, at one point or another, called to the Parnell Commission. But also, Sir Ed had RIC stationed throughout London as part of his network.

To be fair, however, we do not know that Monro kept them when he inherited the network

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                                Hello Debs, Simon. There were many RIC, at one point or another, called to the Parnell Commission. But also, Sir Ed had RIC stationed throughout London as part of his network.

To be fair, however, we do not know that Monro kept them when he inherited the network

Cheers.
                                LC
                                When did he inherit the network, Lynn?

Comment

Working...
                                X