No announcement yet.

3D Miller's Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cogidubnus thanks for the post. This is exactly what I want you to do. I need to be told what is not right and what needs changing. I agree 100% with your observations. Yes The panels will need looking at and adjusting AND that door next to the bed was troubling me. I know that wall is a partition made up of a hodge-podge of board, panels and door bits.

Regrading the fireplace: Again I agree. This version (the one in the pics) is my first attempt and because I liked the wrought design I left it as it appears. I'll be changing this.

I am currently modelling the soft stuff for the room - bed sheets, clothes, bolster, curtains (blankets at window). Speaking of which, I read somewhere on these forums that the material MJK used for curtains was possibly coats. Is this correct? also read that they were held up to the windows using dinner forks! again is this a possibility?

Barnaby, I will answer your query about having long arms to open the door below. Thanks for the comments.
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
      Brilliant! One observation: Maybe it's me but it looks like someone would have to have long arms to be able to reach through the window and open the latch on the door. Your pictures have also made me realize that this would be awkward for someone to do with their right hand. I can easily imagine a right-handed drunk person fumbling around with their left hand trying to open the door through the window cutting him or herself.
      Now, funny you should mention that. I too was a bit curious when I saw first saw those pics (above). The distance from window to door lock does look too far. When I started modelling No. 13 I made every effort to get the scale as close as I could. The interior dimensions were based on the single
      'classic' exterior photo on No.13. Both windows and the door are there and by using those, along with brick counting and a bit of maths, I arrived at some figures which i feel are pretty close to the correct exterior dimensions. Armed with those figures it was easy(ish) to work out the exterior wall thickness and a few other things to arrive at the dimensions for the two walls (internal and external) in the classic No.13 photo. So the internal dimensions and the position of the window to the door are (to my mind) as accurate I as could get.

So I decided to test to see if a person could reach in through the broken lower window to get at the door lock. Here are some images:

The image above shows No.13 with a man (let's call him Joseph!) reaching in through the lower broken window pane. The person standing in the room is an exact scale model of Joseph (5' 10" ish) and the chap on his side with his arms akimbo is there to demonstrate the arm span is also correctly proportioned. I've shown the action of reaching in through the window to get at the lock from a few view points and as you can see, if my calculations are close to the real life dimensions for No. 13, then a person (scaled to an average height of 5' 10" as in this test) would be able to reach the lock (with the right arm) with only a bit of a stretch.

Below I have posted some low quality renders of the above wireframe pics.

Thanks
      R

Comment

Brilliant Richard...see, that's yet another practical application for this kind of technology...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Thanks! Your work is outstanding.

Comment

Hi Richard,
            I love the images, but just one point regarding the reaching of the bolt.
            You are taking an average height of 5'10'' which may well be today's average [if that]but in 1888 no where near.
            Barnett was approx 5'6''/7, and Mary Kelly has height ranging from 5'4''/7 from witness reports.
            You suggest that a 5'10'' person could reach the bolt at a slight stretch , but what about a person of much less height especially Kelly, whose 5'7'' description is most unlikely.?
            There was an report that MJK,used a piece of string [ apparently attached to the bolt] which could be pulled by the user to gain entry...although this is never discussed , but would be practical considering the broken glass risk.
            Regards Richard.

Comment

Sorry Richard N but how would a length of string help MJK reach? Surely it would hang vertically, and the length of reach required would be the same? Unless of course it was a very long piece of string and ran all the way to the window, with enough protruding to stay put...in which case it'd be pretty obvious, and the catch wouldn't be worth the trouble of setting...

All the best

Dave

Comment

I suppose the method they adopted in order to lock/unlock the (key lost) lock depends on the design of the lock. I can't work out (in my mind) how a piece of string could be used as a method but I could see that a lock like this would be easily manipulated to a locked/unlocked position by reaching an arm through the broken window armed with a biit of bent metal:

Do we know an approximate design for the lock?

Comment

Hi Dave,
                  I am only going by a report apparently from a ''resident'' , who said The string was missing.
                  I am like Richard H, who is uncertain about the design of lock, albeit a spring lock device.
                  I had visions of a long piece of string being attached[ somehow] to the device, and was positioned on a nail just inside the window,within easy reach.
                  But how this would work I have no idea.
                  Another theory was the string was tied around the door knob of the door, as a way of telling if she was at home, for example.
                  String on at home
                  no string out.
                  I read somewhere that her friends could save themselves knocking by this signal,and walk straight in.
                  Maybe this was the string trick ..not a unlocking method.
                  Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                    Hi Dave,
                    I am only going by a report apparently from a ''resident'' , who said The string was missing.
                    I am like Richard H, who is uncertain about the design of lock, albeit a spring lock device.
                    I had visions of a long piece of string being attached[ somehow] to the device, and was positioned on a nail just inside the window,within easy reach.
                    But how this would work I have no idea.
                    Another theory was the string was tied around the door knob of the door, as a way of telling if she was at home, for example.
                    String on at home
                    no string out.
                    I read somewhere that her friends could save themselves knocking by this signal,and walk straight in.
                    Maybe this was the string trick ..not a unlocking method.
                    Regards Richard.
                    Hi Richard,

Interesting idea. If the killer knew of such a practise and took the string, Kelly's friends would think she was out and a 'Do Not Disturb' situation would be created.
                    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Hi richardh.

Some extremely good work there.

Can I draw your attention to one detail, see how the bed is not in the corner of the room in this sketch below?

Just take another look at the old body-on-the-bed photo again. You can see the angle of the wainscoting carries on behind the headboard towards the corner of the room which is further back.
                      The bed was not in the corner.

Best Wishes, Jon S.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Bridewell,
                        That is just what dawned on me.
                        Naturally we have to take it on trust that the string report was correct, it certainly seems like it, its does not come across as being invented.
                        If the string was tied on the knob of the door, and was a signal to callers that she was in, then obviously only her trusted friends would have been aware of this practise.
                        The report stated ''to save knocking'', so obviously if no string was present then it would relay to them that she was out.
                        As it was mentioned ''the string was missing'' it would suggest, although Mary was very much lying on the bed, to others she was not at home, thus as you remarked a ''do not disturb signal'', or I am not at home/available .
                        The question is Did the killer know of this practise?
                        If he did, then he had to have been intimately known to Mary, if it was just a client she had brought home previously, he would not have been aware of such a practise, as the string would not have been present on returning to the room , neither would it have been placed on the door in that situation.
                        In fairness it should be suggested, that the string would not have been used during sleep hours by Kelly, as the door would have been locked anyway, neither would it have been used if Kelly left the room in daylight 9th, and returned with a client.
                        Again in fairness as I write ,I am destructing my own theory as the string would have only have been used during the hours from awakening-retirement.so if Kelly was killed later then believed[daylight], then either the string was removed by her killer entering, or she brought her killer back after Maxwell saw her[ alleged] and no string was present.
                        Either scenario here, it at the very least, is an insight in Kelly's living habits,a sought of lantern waving by a young maiden, when the coast is clear..
                        Regards Richard.

Comment

13 Miller's Court Update

Thanks for the comments and feedback all.

I have been working on the fire place and would like to know your views on what I have done so far. The image below shows the chimney breast with a hob grate fire. I've put a kettle on the hob (before it was melted!). Also you will see in this scene the 'Fisherman's Widow' in a cheap frame. Two chairs - one with a broken back is behind the table. on the table and on the fire surround shelf is a ginger beer bottle:

Once we are happy with the Hob Grate design I can add the tools etc. like poker, pans, bucket. Also want to put a bit of washing on a string tied around the surround shelf.

Opinions please.
                          R

Comment

Wickerman (Jon S) thanks for the comment. I agree and was aware that the bed should be further into the room. I've always struggled to understand WHY that bed is in the position it is. The room was tiny and one would assume that tucking the bed hard against the partition/door-wall would increase the floor space. I know that the washstand was supposed to have been located between the bed and the partition wall - again this is a curious position. Could some one clarify this?

I have moved the bed away from the walls. Image posted below. I've also posted an image of my current floor plan to ask for advice on furniture positions. The floor plan below reflects the new bed position:

New Bed Position

Floor Plan (15/01/13)

Thanks for the help
                            R
                            Last edited by richardh; 01-13-2013, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Hi Richardh

Now THAT fireplace looks a hell of a lot better...as does that slight angling of the bed (wish we knew just how much the crime scene had been tampered with by both the killer and the police!)

All the best

Dave

PS Could the angling of the bed be a throwback to Barnett's tenure - so that an occupant of either side of the bed might leave it (to relieve themself for instance) without unduly disturbing the other?
                              Last edited by Cogidubnus; 01-13-2013, 11:31 PM. Reason: PS added

Comment

Question: Where was the wash-stand and could anyone link to an image that they feel might be similar to one used by MJK?

Another question: Should I have the MJK mannequin on the bed or leave the bed empty? Or perhaps put another way, should the room depict before or after the murder?

ta

Comment

Working...
                                X