3D Miller's Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Miller's Court

I've made a start on Miller's Court and in particular No. 13. I think I'm keeping this scene small - i.e. just the court and not out onto Dorset St. yet. I have already done a lot of work to Dorset street but that will have to be another scene that is loaded separately. This will allow me to create a very detailed depiction of Miller's /No.13 for users to walk around in. Here's a screen shot which speaks for itself really. Undecided about if the mannequin (Mary) should be included. The scene was going to depict a vacant room 13 but on the other hand the mannequin in position might be a useful research aid perhaps.

The bed still needs dirtying up and I've not modelled the bedclothes etc. yet but it give you an idea of what I have in mind. And lighting will be a lot lower - gaslight in fact.
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Hi Richard

This is the big one of course...everyone has an idea or preconception of how the interior looked (the bits not in the photos - which were only roughly sketched in various papers)...It'll be fascinating to see how this one pans out...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Gaslight?

Hi Richard,

Thanks for all your work on this. There wasn't a gaslight though, was there? Just an extinguished farthing dip as I recall. I'm left wondering how Indian Harry saw anything at all, given that he was looking from a court in daylight into a darkened room.

Regards, Bridewell.
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Concrete or boards?

What was No. 13 floor? Concrete or floor boards?
        Also:
        The washstand. can someone give me an idea of what type of washstand Kelly might have had? I have Googled it and there is such a huge variety from really posh (obviously not used by Mary) to basic. What are your thoughts on her choice? can you link to some Google images?

Finally (for now): The fire. Was it open? did it have accessories in order to cook and boil water etc? Again, Google image links would be really appreciated. Going to work on this over the weekend and have something to show next week all being well.

thanks
        R

Comment

Hi Richard

Judging by the press drawings, the fireplace in No 13 looks to have been a hob-grate - suggesting that No 13 might've originally been a scullery or kitchen rather than a parlour (something which is suggested by it's position alone!).

The press drawings seem to suggest something cast iron to each side of the fireplace itself....but a cast-iron range seems slightly too grand for the area...and too "late" for the period of building...so I reckon it's definitely the remnants of a (perhaps Georgian) hob-grate.

As regards floor surface I admit I'd always surmised boards...the house was of sufficiently high status when built...but revising my thinking about it, if it was a scullery wouldn't it have a stone floor? And the absence of a step outside the back entrance suggests to me a stone floor (boarded floors are raised)...so stone....

Washstand? Well I've a mid-victorian one, but it's surfaced (admittedly cheaply) with red-veined marble...and I don't think MJK's would've been even quite so refined as that...so for now I leave that part to someone else!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Hi Richard

Looking good so far

Here's a couple of illustrations that may be of use

The second is the more accurate IMO

Click image for larger version

Name:	washtand.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	664631

Click image for larger version

Name:	fire.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	664632

Comment

Sorry about the delay. I did promise something a few weeks ago but things got in the way. Anyway. Here are some screen shots of what I have so far...

More below...

Comment

It's not finished by a long shot. Lots to do and lots to add like... Bed clothing, curtain/sheets at window, folded clothes on the chair, forks, clay pipe, wash-stand etc. but this is what I have so far. It's great to walk around in this room which you will be able to do soon enough.

hope you like and I welcome feed back.

thanks
                R

Comment

The same images in Black and White:

Comment

Comment

By the way, the black and white images above have been aged in an attempt to duplicate the condition of the 'classic' MJK photos. At some point I'd like to have a go at producing a photo realistic render of No.13 to see how close I can get to 'faking' a crime scene photo. At the moment they aren't at all photo realistic.

Another one below.

All comments and advice welcome.
                      ta
                      R

Comment

Hi Richard.

Some brilliant work. It's very strange to see a familiar scene (sort of) from a completely new angle. It's actually quite disturbing - feels as though I'm intruding - even though it's a reconstruction. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Regards, Bridewell.
                        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Hello Richard,

thanks a lot for sharing these nice pictures with us.

Regards,

bolo
                          ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

Brilliant! One observation: Maybe it's me but it looks like someone would have to have long arms to be able to reach through the window and open the latch on the door. Your pictures have also made me realize that this would be awkward for someone to do with their right hand. I can easily imagine a right-handed drunk person fumbling around with their left hand trying to open the door through the window cutting him or herself.

Comment

Minor niggles

Hi Richard

Impressive images so far and I hate to be seen to criticise. However, IMHO the panelling above the bed doesn't look quite right by comparison with the well-known photo. The vertical planking seems to go higher and appears to have a join part-way up (you can see where the vertical (cracks) don't meet up)...your door in the corner may be a tad over-prominent too.

Also, and I suppose it depends on which paper's illustrations you go by, the fireplace isn't as I'd envisaged it...but my "image" might well be wrong anyway...that end of the room is almost guesswork!

Please don't let my churlish niggles disturb you though...can't wait to see this finished!

Every good wish

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X