'McCarthy's Rents' art installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Dave,

You asked and welcomed opinions. Allow me to give mine.

I tend to see this as a recreation of a scene. To see this recreation in a clean environment, all white and gleaming, somehow, for me personally, takes something away from the reality of the place and time in which the scene is set. To my mind, I would find this even more disturbing, and dare I say, even more realistic, had the scene been recreated with the dirt, poverty and living circumstances associated with the room and the victim, the time and the place, in all it's sad colour, in order to truly reflect the appalling horror, if that was at all a part of your intention. It looks to me too clinically clean in a bright white background.
    That said, I see and respect the enormous technical work involved in attempting to recreate this awful horror.

best wishes

Phil
    Last edited by Phil Carter; 03-29-2010, 06:47 PM.
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

• i just mistakenly posted a thread with the same topic that i'll take down now that i know about this one but in my humble opinion

On the one hand it's art and i can tell that a good bit of work, research, and skill went into this recreation piece. While done accurately, to as well as i can tell, the only thing that bothers me is the same reason that Mary J. Kelly is famous in the first place and i find a bit of irony as a result in how i feel. To explain, yes i appreciate the artistic value of this, and yes i appreciate the work that went into it, all be it over 100 some odd years old, MJK, E. Stride, and all the rest were people once upon a time....i for one would like to see an art piece of MJK leaning against a lamp post or something humming an irish hymn maybe a piece where she's opening the door to a gentleman. i don't know i for one like the piece and i think you did a masterful job but said and done it draws attention to the very thing that made her famous in the first place which is also happening to be the worst thing to happen to her that ended her life. Not sure if i've even made my point or if i'm making sense even but there you have it

Comment

Working...
      X