Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 22 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by DJA 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by harry 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - by DJA 3 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - by packers stem 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (48 posts)
General Discussion: Masonic and the number 39. - (14 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - (5 posts)
Casebook Announcements: Katherine Bradshaw Amin (1980-2018) - (3 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (1 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > General Suspect Discussion

Old 05-09-2010, 03:44 AM
Detective

At his initial reception into the asylum he displays classic symptoms of GPI, General paralysis of the insane. The grandiose gestures and unlikely accounts of his life fit perfectly. People suffering with GPI, would lay claim to extreme wealth and even royal birth, the unfortunate suffering from the malady would offer anybody a dukedom or embark on the wildest adventures.

The only compensation to this horrific disease was the patients inability to acknowledge his degeneration and more often than not died in total happiness believing himself to be "on the top of the World"

One other indicator apparent from early on in the condition would be one of the pupils being more dilated than the other. The three stage tragedy as it was known, would as a rule take less than 3 years till death. Death was always the outcome.

I was really surprised to see him discharged and then re admitted 11 years later.

Nice work converting the record to text, I know from personal experience the casebooks can be incredibly difficult to decipher.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Commisioner

Default Mickle

Hello Silver. Thanks for that very helpful diagnosis. The chap who saw him at Grove Hall asylum was Dr. Julius Mickle--the foremost authority on general paralysis (he wrote a book on it ca 1880).

Actually, JI was admitted to the asylum on about a half dozen occasions.

Any other information you have will be appreciated.

The best.
LC
Old 05-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Chief Inspector

Hi Lynn. I sometimes see articles about 'General Paralysis of the Insane' in the old medical journals I've been looking through. If you're interested in them I'll try to find you a few.

Another common LVP term for this disease was "General Paresis."

The modern term for it is "Neuro-Syphilis". It's a form of dementia known to be caused by a syphilitic infection and is treatable today if caught in the early stages.

Best regards,
Archaic
Old 05-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Commisioner

Default syphilis

Hello Bunny. Thanks. I think much of Mickle's excellent book is available online.

I had heard that GP was frequently caused by syphilis, but in JI's case--first episode 1887, died 1910--it seems a rather long pair of termini for that malady.

I am checking with libraries to see if they can find Mickle's collected works, especially his correspondence.

The best.
LC
Old 06-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Cadet

Default Two points

1. I can confirm that Jacob's daughter Catharine/Katherine married Charles Williams in 1907.

Information from marriage cert:
3rd August 1907, Register Office, Cirencester, Gloucestershire.
Charles Williams 44 years, widower, domestic servant, No. 8 Rendcombe. Father: William Williams, farm labourer.
Katherine Annie Isenschmidt 35 years, spinster. No. 8 Rendcombe. Father: Jacob John Isenschmidt, meat salesman.

Although Katherine has no occupation on marriage cert (often missed off marriage certs at that time) she was a lady's maid at Rendcombe House, which is where Charles worked. They had no children. I don't know if this is because Katherine was infertile [Charles had 8 children with his first wife Ellen Purvey] or if they avoided children because there were already 8 to cope with - or whether they were afraid, since not only Katherine's father, but Charles' uncle suffered from insanity.

Charles was my great-grandfather and his maternal uncle William Mealing, killed his fiancee in 1962 and spent the rest of his life in Broadmoor, suffering from religious monomania, homicidal mania and melancholy. He was sometimes put on suicide watch and died in 1908.

2) I don't think Jacob had syphilis. His physical health is generally considered either good or fair in asylum reports. Although there is mention of the right hand side of his face looking paralysed, this doesn't imply general paralysis. It might be that he'd suffered nerve damage or maybe a small stroke.