No announcement yet.

Joseph Isaacs-Person of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or maybe not Lis at all because Howard Brown also found this Old Bailey case from 1904 where 'Joseph Brown' was convicted of larceny, back in the East End. including ...

"PLEADED GUILTY to a conviction of felony at Clerkenwell Green on May 21st, 1901 in the name of Joseph Isaacs. Eleven previous convictions were proved against him. Two years' hard labour."

The thread then derailed which almost never happens anywhere

Roy
    Sink the Bismark

Comment

Thanks, Roy. I had forgotten about that. Was Joseph Green, I believe, instead of Brown. The age almost fits too.
      Best Wishes,
      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

HI again,

Thanks for all the help with this fellow. Im not really looking at him as a Lis or Silver or whomever candidate, ...(what was Deemings alias count those last few years while free?), ....often the surnames, as youve pointed out, are misleading.

As to him being interviewed and released without further charges, Im not sure that eliminates him from suspicion. Just that there were no grounds discovered, or not enough grounds to hold him.

I agree Ben that the press were responsible for the Astrakan embellishment and that doesnt mean the police were still using that ID as their guideline. But it does show that some people did still believe that story in early December, thats later than I had originally thought myself. Abberline did interview Isaacs after his arrest, to me that suggests that he was still following his hunch on GH as well.

Best regards folks
        Michael Richards

Comment

Isaacs alternative name ?

Could Joseph Isaacs have been an anglisized name for Jacob Isenschmidt? Isenschmidt Had been taken to Bow before and I cant see if he was released again before going to Colney Hatch.
          I did see somewhere that he once called himself Joseph, but for the life of me cant remember where !

Comment

JI

Hello Paddy.

"Isenschmid Had been taken to Bow before and I cant see if he was released again before going to Colney Hatch."

After Grove Hall, JI was sent to Banstead (February, 1889) He was released later that year. But the next he was taken into custody again and sent to Colney Hatch.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

I am not sure but this looks like it was him
              from Tamworth Herald 22nd September 1888
              It says he was released

See attached
              Pat
              Attached Files

Comment

Strange though I didnt think he had a brother !
                Pat

Comment

Welease Jacob.

Hello Paddy. That story originated in "The Star." He most definitely was NOT released until about a year later.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Oh, brother.

Hello (again) Paddy. He did have a brother--in Switzerland.

Now are you beginning to see what I am on about?

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Joseph Isaacs

Hi hope its still ok to post on this old thread? I found the following that I am sure is about Joseph Isaacs.

In an article in Reynolds Newspaper Nov 18th 1888 it states:

At Worship Street a man was brought before Mr Bushby who had before been charged and released in connection with the Berner Street crime. Nothing very important transpired at the hearing beyond the fact that he had been acting strangely of late and that he appeared to be without visible means of subsistence. The magistrate decided to follow the usual course and remanded him to Friday next.

Pat.......

Comment

Hi Pat.

Could you expand on why you feel sure this is Joseph Isaacs?
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Just following up on this suggestion Pat.

Benelius Nikanor was arrested and appeared at Worship Street Police Court before Mr Bushby.

"He was charged with entering a house in Buxton Street, Mile End.......the man had once been arrested, it was said, as a suspect, after the Berner-street murder..."
                          Sheffield Evening Telegraph, 24 Nov. 1888.

I think this is your man.

Joseph Isaacs was in prison from Nov 12 to Dec 3rd.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

To Wickerman

Hi John, Thankyou for this info and sorry for delay in answering. The article was about the whitechapel murders and who had been taken in since Mary Janes demise. The newspaper made it sound like he was pulled in to do with her murder. The heading was "The East-End Horrors latest details" and being dated November 18th lead me to think he had got pulled in for both.
                            Just the newspaper padding it out a bit I suppose.
                            I will have a read about that other chap though, thanks...
                            Pat......

Comment

Working...
                            X