Why can't the East End be like it was? MkII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't the East End be like it was? MkII

I think this original thread was lost in the great crash, a shame as some interesting comments were posted.

The recent demolition of those old shops in Whitechapel High St. and the possible imminence of drastic changes in Mitre Square has once again inspired people to voice their dismay at the threats to Whitechapel and Spitalfields.

I feel that the area is under the biggest threat from City-derived redevelopment in twenty years, yet I am also heartened by the preservation of many worthy buildings, ie Providence Row, Tower House, Buck's Row Board School, to name but a few.

What say you?

JB

John,

You say: 'has once again inspired people to voice their dismay at the threats to Whitechapel and Spitalfields'.
    Since you have the ability to visit the area, how is the situation exactly?
    Are people actually prostesting against the changes to an enough extent and how does this manifest itself - and finally: do you think it will make a difference (let's hope so!)?

Of course, these might be questions also suitable for Rob Clack, Philip Hutchinson and others.

All the best
    The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
      John,

You say: 'has once again inspired people to voice their dismay at the threats to Whitechapel and Spitalfields'.
      Hi Glenn

I meant particularly folks on these boards, however I have recently come into possession of a few local newspapers which seem to have a number of reports about local opposition to redevelopment. The best example is this one:

The construction of a 25-storey tower on the corner of Bethnal Green Road and Sclater Street to make 360 residential units. This scheme was agreed by the council on March 13th despite objections by English Heritage, George Galloway, and local residents including Tracey Emin and Rachael Whiteread who have written to Ken Livingstone to intervene.

Part of the problem with this development is the same old one of creating exclusive housing in an area where more affordable housing is needed (the same protests met the conversion of Tower House in Fieldgate Street a year or two ago) although there are concerns about the new block also being an eyesore so near to other conservation areas.

Although I never see full-on protests in the streets, the action is obviously there and serves to underline my point about a rising desire to preserve older buildings, which seems to be growing in success. That said, I was talking to Philip outside the Aldgate Exchange a few weeks back (at the WS1888 meeting) and mentioned to him my little theory that the City's expansion east has been partially blocked in Spitalfields by the well-established conservation areas and the popularity of the Market and Brewery sites. It therefore appears to be 'creeping round the backdoor' so to speak, a handy point of entry being Aldgate. Hence the major redevelopments going on at present.

It's quite possible that these protests will make a difference, if only for the reason that they help preserve historic buildings. The affordable housing issue, however, does seem to be going by-the-by.

Interestingly enough, Wentworth Dwellings were earmarked for demolition in 1965. They were not vacated until 1982 but escaped and are still with us today! There's a success story for you.

JB
      Last edited by John Bennett; 04-20-2008, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that update, John.
        Much appreciated for us who can't be there.

One certainly hopes that enough voices are being raised in some way, so that the worst actions can be stopped.

All the best
        The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Hi John/Glenn
          An interesting thread and nastily a lot of things were of course lost in the BIG ONE!

Today as John knows much has changed-but it's still a vital area with some buildings such as the Board School still casting a long shadow.

For those who have never been there- although Mitre Sq is much changed the power and sort of darkness there is undeniable.

Also just walking through the roads 'in between' the Sites (!) still fills me with an odd apprehension.
          Trouble is that a lot of naff 'tours' fill the average tourist's heads with a lot of toot..Facts and good tour guides are few and far between...That Philip's good though!!

John et al:-IF there are any petitions or whatever floating around re re-building or some other crap or nastiness can you let us know!!!

Suz x
          Last edited by Suzi; 04-20-2008, 05:58 PM.
          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Actually, here's a list of interesting buildings that seem to have been saved or at least have survived (off the top of my head):

Buck's Row Board School
            Tower House, Fieldgate Street
            Gunthorpe Street Goods Depot
            Bernhard Baron House, Henriques Street
            Wentworth Dwellings
            Providence Row Night Refuge
            Working Lad's Institute
            Davenant School Hall
            1 Prescott Street
            Albion Brewery Buildings
            Black Eagle Brewery
            5 White's Row
            Spitalfields Market (the older bits, not the horrible 1930s stuff)
            56 & 58 Artillery Lane
            Bevis Marks Synagogue
            Trinity Alms Houses, Mile End Road
            Bryant and May Match Factory
            to name but many...

Lest we forget all those properties in Elder, Folgate, Fournier, Wilkes and Princelet Streets, although they have led to controversies of their own.

JB

Comment

Is there anybody here who believes that the Ripper murder sites should have been preserved for whatever reason?

I'm sure I've seen some comments to this effect before.

Comment

Hi John,

It's a sensitive issue, preserving or highlighting murder spots for posterity. After Sally Anne Bowman was murdered by a necrosadist outside her home in Blenheim Crescent, South Croydon, in 2005, her mother requested a plaque to mark the tragic event. But the residents did not want their address blighted in this way and the council turned down the request. It was later revealed that Sally's killer had travelled some distance to Croydon and was familiar with the area because he had once lived for a time in the same crescent (although there is no suggestion that he had ever met his victim before attacking her as she emerged from her former boyfriend's car).

By a curious twist, a blue plaque was unveiled in Blenheim Crescent only last Thursday, April 17th, for its famous previous resident, Sir David Lean.

Re the new construction in Sclater Street, I was chatting to a very elderly gent there on the Sunday morning following the recent WS1888 meeting. We were sheltering from the snow in the indoor market shop, that sells all sorts from kitchen towels to secondhand office furniture. He told me and Liza that he had never been out of Sclater Street and was born there in 1915 (the same year my dad was born in Wandsworth, South West London). I asked his name and he shot back "Abraham Cohen!" with a mischievous grin and a twinkle in his eye. "Only joking", says he. "I'm Charles B..... and I got a medal from the king". He had all his marbles and told us about the new block going up opposite with a resigned shrug of the shoulders. "You must have seen more comings and goings around here than anyone else alive, I should think", I said. And he nodded sagely.

Love,

Caz
                X
                Last edited by caz; 04-21-2008, 12:39 PM.
                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hi again,

Have a butchers at this description of Sclater Street on a Sunday morning during the 1880s. S'wonderful stuff:

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hi all

As a young soldier stationed in Aldershot back in the early seventies, I stayed quite a few week-ends in Brady Street the home of a fellow soldier and friend. I remember the board school, who could miss it, I also remember that we walked down what would be Bucks Row, but try as I might I can't remember if the Victorian houses were there in 1972. Were they there in 72?

Might I point out that at the time in question I was not in the least interested in JTR, My friend who was raised in the East-End didn't even mention the fellow during my stay in Brady Street. I have returned to the East-End several times since during the 80's, and 90's purely for nostalgic reasons, and have saw great changes, it's a great pity that I was not interested in JTR during my stay in Brady Street, and did not own a camera back then, although I'm certain that my friend took several pictures of myself and his family in and around Brady Street. I have lost contact with him now, perhaps it's time to put that right.

Observer
                    Last edited by Observer; 04-21-2008, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Observer,

I believe the houses in Durward Street were demolished in 1972. Not sure exactly when, so you may have seen them or not!! Do you remember Brady Street Dwellings?

Caz,
                      Nice account. Rachel Lichtenstein's 'On Brick Lane' has interviews with several people who have lived in the area for donkeys. It's not been entirely overrun with media people and there does appear to be a small part of the Jewish East End remaining too..

JB

Comment

Hi John

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                        Observer,

I believe the houses in Durward Street were demolished in 1972. Not sure exactly when, so you may have seen them or not!! Do you remember Brady Street Dwellings?

JB
                        Hi John, it's such a long time ago, all I remember, and even this is vague, was that my mate lived north of the board school, on Brady street, can't remember the number. They were your run of the mill Victorian houses, I remember the kitchen being tiny, that's all I'm afraid. If I can get a street map of the time, I'm sure I could pinpoint it. We spent several happy nights in the local pubs, I intend to research the area and pinpoint those pubs, see if they are still there, it's time for another visit I suspect.

Observer

Comment

Working...
                        X