Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Graham 9 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Sherlock Houses 2 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: George Hutchinson Shadowing Sarah Lewis' Statement - by Sam Flynn 4 hours ago.
Periodicals: Upcoming Article - by Trevor Marriott 4 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: George Hutchinson Shadowing Sarah Lewis' Statement - by Darryl Kenyon 5 hours ago.
Periodicals: Upcoming Article - by Simon Wood 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Mary Jane Kelly: George Hutchinson Shadowing Sarah Lewis' Statement - (10 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Help On Some Details - (7 posts)
Periodicals: Upcoming Article - (6 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: distances between kills.odd - (1 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Most accurate reconstruction (Graphic Warning) - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 10-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
As you say, nothing with Nichols and Chapman, although these two were within a week of another, and after the Chapman murder there was a lot of unrest amongst the locals, so the Double Event may have been the first instance for an antisemitic Ripper to build on the atmosphere.
Agreed, Jon.

It seems likely that the ripper sought to exploit the advantage presented by anti-semitism from the published description of “Leather Apron” onwards. If it wasn’t the trigger for his “deflecting” tactics, it was undoubtedly the catalyst.

Hanbury Street was predominantly Jewish-occupied, and was even cited by Charles Booth as one of about five streets in the district having the strongest connections to Jewry, Petticoat Lane being another.

The double event had marked Jewish connections, with the two murders being committed in close proximity to the IWEC and publishing headquarters of Arbeter Fraint (Dutfield’s Yard) and the Great Synagogue (Mitre Square). If anyone can provide the name of three locations more enmeshed with the cultural, political and religious life of the Jewish population in Whitechapel, I would be astonished to hear it. Otherwise, the reality of the aforementioned three Jewish hotspots all being situated within a stone’s throw of the double-event murders is surely no coincidence.

Moving on to the Kelly murder, and the unfortunate elephant in the room here is that a logical extension of the killer’s previous Jew-implicating efforts may have been exhibited in Hutchinson’s fervour to implicate a Jewish involvement in the crime.

All the best,
Ben
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:57 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
.... the Great Synagogue (Mitre Square). If anyone can provide the name of three locations more enmeshed with the cultural, political and religious life of the Jewish population in Whitechapel, I would be astonished to hear it.
I forgot about that landmark. That's another "coincidence" that has to go on the big list of coincidences to try and put the anti-semitic connections aside.

If it isn't clear that JtR is using Jewish sectors to cover up his identity I don't know what is.

All of this is near fatal to the Kozminski hypothesis.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:03 PM
Superintendent

I must admit, all of this does sort of point at George Chapman and not away from him.

From what I can gather, he looked Jewish, but wasn't. That such as thing was a problem for some people in Whitechapel at the time and may have caused resentment to be mistaken for a Jew. He could also pass as a Jew possibly and I heard that many in Whitechapel also did this to get by.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:43 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I must admit, all of this does sort of point at George Chapman and not away from him.

From what I can gather, he looked Jewish, but wasn't. That such as thing was a problem for some people in Whitechapel at the time and may have caused resentment to be mistaken for a Jew. He could also pass as a Jew possibly and I heard that many in Whitechapel also did this to get by.
Yup. Away from koz and toward suspects like chapman, hutch and lech.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 10-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I forgot about that landmark. That's another "coincidence" that has to go on the big list of coincidences to try and put the anti-semitic connections aside.

If it isn't clear that JtR is using Jewish sectors to cover up his identity I don't know what is.

All of this is near fatal to the Kozminski hypothesis.
Not to forget the nearby Sephardic Bevis Marks synagogue, the oldest place of Jewish worship in the country. Or nearby Jewry Street.

But of course, you'd have to know something about the history of the Jews on London to appreciate the exact significance of the area.

Last edited by MrBarnett : 10-01-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:14 PM
Casebook Supporter

That reminds me, Gary. Dr Sequeira, who attended Eddowes, came from a distinguished Sephardic Jewish family. The Ripper obviously knew that this would happen

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 10-01-2018, 11:37 PM
Casebook Supporter

Can we keep suspect-driven thinking to one side, please? This thread is only a few posts long, and I'm already sensing confirmation bias in one or two of them.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 10-02-2018, 12:36 AM
Detective

Many men were suspected after the killing of Polly, without going through my notes didn't the police suspect it was gang related? Ie Emma. I am assuming the killer knew there was a Leather Apron in the backyard of 29 Hanbury St before he murdered Annie thus implicating Pizer. And there would be a victim outside the passageway of a notorious Jewish club the night he murdered Liz. As for the cry of Lipski doesn't that point away from the murderer being Jewish. If I were trying to implicate one, I might learn a few words of Yiddish in case they came in handy like sod off in Yiddish to Schwartz. Plus Lawende said his suspect looked like a sailor, hardly Jewish. As for the graffiti, it is by no means certain the killer wrote it, plus it can be interpreted in many ways. And unless Jack knew he was going to stop with Mary why not leave a clue trying to blame the Jews here, as I thought in my previous post, this is the murder where he had the most time. I am no expert on the population of Whitechapel in 1888 but would it not be hard pressed to avoid a murder near a Jewish site, in a series back then.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:35 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
That reminds me, Gary. Dr Sequeira, who attended Eddowes, came from a distinguished Sephardic Jewish family. The Ripper obviously knew that this would happen
Not to mention that Eddowes was killed outside a picture framing business.... Obviously this is a sly little admission by the killer that he was framing the Jews.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:52 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Kenyon View Post
. I am assuming the killer knew there was a Leather Apron in the backyard of 29 Hanbury St before he murdered Annie thus implicating Pizer.
Pizer was in the press prior to Chapman and shortly after Nichols was murdered. Women had come forward to say he assaulted them.

When Chapman was murdered Pizer was arrested.