Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Scene of the Crimes: distances between kills.odd - by albie 3 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Rob1n 32 minutes ago.
Bury, W.H.: William Bury website - by Harry D 54 minutes ago.
Bury, W.H.: William Bury website - by Busy Beaver 3 hours ago.
General Discussion: JTR's profession - by Busy Beaver 4 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: George Hutchinson Shadowing Sarah Lewis' Statement - by Trevor Marriott 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Mary Jane Kelly: George Hutchinson Shadowing Sarah Lewis' Statement - (17 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Help On Some Details - (10 posts)
Bury, W.H.: William Bury website - (8 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (5 posts)
General Discussion: JTR's profession - (2 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Detective

Default from the telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...-Millwall.html

Meanwhile, however, he never loses sight for long of "strangeness and savagery" or "mystical excess". He is particularly impressed by the mystical beliefs supposedly espoused by Wren and others responsible for the rebuilding of London after the Great Fire. I leave it to others to judge how much truth there is in his contention that, in siting his churches, Nicholas Hawksmoor was guided by calculations - measured in cubits - which ultimately derived from the sacred mysteries of the Kabbalah.
But at least there can be no doubt that Glinert himself sets great store by what he calls "esoteric measurements". He discerns their influence in the location of Jack the Ripper's killings, and in a crime committed as recently as 1974: the murder of the owner of a tobacco kiosk in Commercial Road called Alfie Cohen. He also argues, just for good measure, that the Ripper killings and the Cohen murder were linked by traces of Masonic ritual.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Sergeant

Krinoid,

You need some quotation marks in there to indicate you are "borrowing" verbatim from the Telegraph review.

Don.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Ed Glinert's book was very much written with a wry sense of humour, a refreshing take on what can often be a subject that is treated too dryly (I loved it).

The stuff about the alignments of churches etc. is an obvious nod to psychogeography. The links between the JTR murders and psychogeography were pioneered by writers like Iain Sinclair and Peter Ackroyd.

I don't have the Glinert book to hand and it was a long while ago that I read it, so I can't go back over it to gauge if he is taking the mickey or not. It is quite possible though...

Last edited by John Bennett : 10-18-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Detective

Has anyone thought to interview him?
Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinoid View Post
And there is the above quote to deal with as he says"indeed an inspection of the key murder sites and associated locations show that JTR MUST HAVE BEEN ACQUAINTED WITH THE ESOTERIC CODE THAT LAY BEHIND THE CREATION OF POST FIRE EAST LONDON."
The "star of david" quote from Glinert can be taken eitheir way as far as that goes but the rest of the cubits business and links to the ripper he appears to be serious about.
I don't know why he didn't test the theory before printed as others here on here said it was wrong(septic blue), even the cubits part. The one part I disagree with people on here was when posters on here said no one in the ripper's time was interested in this subject and yet Warren wrote a book on it!
Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Chief Inspector

Good evening Krinoid,

Glinert, in his ripper section built on the book by Stephen Knight Jack the Ripper: The Final Solution.

Warren was a Freemason. And yes, so was Wren. And Nicholas Hawksmoor, whose imposing Christ Church Spitalfields, nearby the tragedy at Millers Court, lends an almost surreal backdrop to the murder on Lord Mayors Day. Hawksmoor also built St Mary's Woolnoth, traditionally the Lord Mayor's church. But that's history. The fact that Freemasons built churches and laid out squares, and one later served as police commissioner shows they were in important positions in history. Such as Winston Churchill.

You do know the late Mr. Knight's theory was gone over with a fine tooth comb and, found lacking. So to add onto Knight with the cubits and triangles is, well, I don't know the word I'm looking for. It has entertainment value, building on the eye catching connections, the Queen Anne churches and squares, the royal family. It's entertainment to me. A history lark. I sometimes wish I had the creative mind to dream up things like that. Look what Dan Brown has done with The Da Vinci Code.

Roy
Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Detective

I actually tried to contact Ed on Facebook but he has refused all contact, I guess he does not want to talk about his theories.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Detective

It's not actually true that no one like the Ripper would be interested in the murder sites and its history, apparently the Ratcliff murders (the first one) was done on the site of the original proposal of Hawksmoor placement of the St George in the east site!
Old 07-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinoid View Post
I actually tried to contact Ed on Facebook but he has refused all contact, I guess he does not want to talk about his theories.
Hi Krinoid. No one has ever, to my knowledge, tried to contact me via Facebook about the Ripper! As for not wanting to talk about my theories, most people would say I don't know when to shut up. More than happy to discuss them - and still waiting to be invited to host a Ripper meeting at the Archers!
Old 10-29-2018, 12:23 PM
Detective

I talked to Ed last week and he did not realize I tried to email him on FB back then as it went to his filtered mail. He stands by his theories he told me, so all the bashing I received that I missed the irony in his posts was again WRONG STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH! More insults and rudeness from the arrogant idiots on here that attacked me for being stupid.