Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible the Ripper's victim's "killed" him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Penhalion View Post
    I like exploring the possibility of his last victim or two being the cause of his death and the cessation, it is nicely poetic. However, Catherine Eddowes 'kidne' isn't what did it. Bright's Disease isn't contagious. It is a systemic issue.

Causes Of Bright's Disease

These are acute fevers, cold, alcohol, and excessive eating of meat.

Acute albuminuria is an almost constant symptom in scarlet fever, and frequently also of the other eruptive fevers. In these cases recovery from the albuminuria is the rule with appropriate treatment; but sometimes the attacks leave behind a certain enfeeblement of the action of the kidney, which may finally result in the establishment of chronic Bright's disease. The progress of the disease may be so slow and insidious that it is not noticed till certain unexplained symptoms lead to the examination of the urine, when albumen is found to be present. Cold is a frequent cause of Bright's disease, in cabmen and others whose work requires them to be exposed to all weathers. The abuse of alcohol also frequently results in chronic albuminuria. The presence of albumen in the blood seems to exercise a peculiarly irritating influence on the tissues of the kidney. To excessive consumption of meat, and the consequent labour thrown upon the kidneys, some of the cases of Bright's disease, from which the well-to-do and well-fed suffer, are attributed. Worry and anxiety are also, there is little doubt, frequently the cause of chronic albuminuria.

Read more: http://chestofbooks.com/health/nutri...#ixzz4KnugFJeB
    Thanks for explaining "Bright's Disease" (I presume it's discoverer was one "Dr. Bright", like "Pott's Fracture" is named for 18th century surgeon Percival Pott). I have to admit I first broached this theory to my own doctor in 1990, and he couldn't stop laughing.

Catherine was in some good company from the U.S. Between 1886 and 1912 Bright's Disease killed off President Chester Arthur, Senator and Presidential Candidate James G. Blaine, and Vice President James S. Sherman. All three men were rather rotund, suggesting the problems from those meat diets and heavy use of wine (Arthur was a wine connesieur). Don't forget that in the 19th Century all prosperous and important looking men and women tended to be stout. I don't know of any other victims of the disease off hand, but although these three politicians were good Republicans, I am sure some good Democrats also had the illness.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
    X