Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Simon Wood 41 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - by MrBarnett 4 hours ago.
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by packers stem 5 hours ago.
Non-Fiction: "Ripperland" by Andrew Firth - by Herlock Sholmes 7 hours ago.
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - by Robert 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - (21 posts)
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - (5 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (4 posts)
Non-Fiction: "Ripperland" by Andrew Firth - (4 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Hutchinson, George

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #241  
Old 07-12-2018, 12:57 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 11,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
I'm in no hurry
Good, then you can look things up yourself, and not just in Senise either. Casebook'Press Reports archive is your friend
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 07-12-2018, 01:06 AM
DJA DJA is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Some Australian Mountain Range.
Posts: 1,720
Default

Not wasting my time looking for the non existent.
__________________
My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 07-12-2018, 01:51 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 11,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
Not wasting my time looking for the non existent.
How do you know it's non-existent without looking?
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 07-12-2018, 02:26 AM
harry harry is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,915
Default

Jon,
Nowhere in your description of a grooms occupation have you established a need or a qualification of a superior use of memory function equal to that exhibited by Hutchinson.Not as to detail.Nor is your argument on the use of notebooks of any value,as Hutchinson is not known to have recorded anything in written form,or was reading from a written acount.

Nor was Sarah Lewis reported as saying Hutchigson was watching a couple.
Her observation of him was that he appeared to be looking up the court.Just that.You have been told consistently,that Kelly and Aman,according to Hutchinson,passed up the court well before the 2.30 appearance of Lewis.She cannot give a description of Aman,because she did not see him.

Now to your post 215.
Are you suggesting that the description attributed to Hutchinson was in fact suggested by or scripted by Badham,and was not a true account.

Your words.In fact that whole paragraph of description detail will belong to Badham.It is given there in typical police format.So what in your opinion Jon,did Hutchinson really report?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 07-12-2018, 03:38 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,419
Default

Whether or not "Astrakan" was specifically mentioned prior to the 12th or not, the figure in the story given by Lewis/Kennedy is the ONLY thing that belief in Hutchinson can use as support. What was seen by said Wideawake, what was heard by said Wideawake and what was done by said Wideawake can only be speculated upon.

Hes a tangent, that's all.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 07-12-2018, 11:18 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
How do you know it's non-existent without looking?
I've looked. This argument is not new. Sally Gerard(?) tried to push the same theory several years ago. It failed then too because the claim is bogus.
Thee most damming detail to assign to a would-be Ripper would be the 'black bag', Astrachan wasn't given one - oops!
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 07-12-2018, 11:19 AM
Robert St Devil Robert St Devil is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Kilttown, Scotland
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
Agreed.
That is the problem.

There is the possibility that Hutchinson used Sarah Lewis' testimony as a template for inventing A man in company with Mary Kelly.
life is kopasetic in K-town, dave, how's life down under?

Had "American cloth" been used in descriptions of the ripper prior to Hutchinson's? It seemed like a curious mention when Hutch could have easily got away with just using "parcel" or playing off the "black bag". What gets me is how the cloth might refer to waterproof material, which may have been handy when dealing with blood or concealing a removed organ.
__________________
there,s nothing new, only the unexplored
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 07-12-2018, 11:31 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
He didn't need Sarah Lewis' testimony, only the jungle grapevine, which would have been buzzing long before the Kelly inquest, and elements of the Mr Astrakhan description had appeared in the press, and on the streets, long before Kelly's murder.
Can you provide some of this 'grapevine'?
I notice you say "would have been", so you are not sure?

I suspect you are creating a fictional scenario that simply will not work.
Have you tried standing outside a court and pestering the witnesses as they come out to try piece together a story?



It's easy to invent these scenario's, but when it comes down to demonstrating how it is supposed to work......
The truth is the idea is totally impractical. Ben tried this argument more than once.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 07-12-2018, 11:39 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Can you provide some of this 'grapevine'?
I notice you say "would have been", so you are not sure?

I suspect you are creating a fictional scenario that simply will not work.
Have you tried standing outside a court and pestering the witnesses as they come out to try piece together a story?



It's easy to invent these scenario's, but when it comes down to demonstrating how it is supposed to work......
The truth is the idea is totally impractical. Ben tried this argument more than once.
not so sure about that wick

Hutch could have seen the bethnal green botherer himself that night, and or heard rumors, but as I think sams main point was-made him up from the bits he heard about in the press on other suspects.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Last edited by Abby Normal : 07-12-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 07-12-2018, 11:40 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
Agreed.
That is the problem.

There is the possibility that Hutchinson used Sarah Lewis' testimony as a template for inventing A man in company with Mary Kelly.
Wouldn't he need to know who the woman was first?
Where does the name "Sarah Lewis" come from?

Hutch is standing in Dorset St. and this woman following on behind Kelly & Astrachan walks up the passage. She is not a resident, so how does he go about identifying her without causing suspicion?
And why should he, was he also concerned about the man he saw enter the lodging-house?
The man could have gone to the police, and they might believe a man over a woman.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.