Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Harry D 57 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: Lawrence - by etenguy 2 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 2 hours ago.
Letters and Communications: I'm not a butcher, I'm not a Yid...... - by Phil Carter 3 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (21 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (6 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Lawrence - (2 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Nihilist Club ie. Berner Street - (1 posts)
General Discussion: Ripper was several people... - (1 posts)
Letters and Communications: I'm not a butcher, I'm not a Yid...... - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 05-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Detective

Default Was Jack a Kosher Killer?

Details of Kosher slaughter (from http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm)

Ritual slaughter is known as shechitah, and the person who performs the slaughter is called a shochet, both from the Hebrew root Shin-Cheit-Tav, meaning to destroy or kill. The method of slaughter is a quick, deep stroke across the throat with a perfectly sharp blade with no nicks or unevenness. This method is painless, causes unconsciousness within two seconds, and is widely recognized as the most humane method of slaughter possible.

Another advantage of shechitah is that it ensures rapid, complete draining of the blood, which is also necessary to render the meat kosher.

The shochet is not simply a butcher; he must be a pious man, well-trained in Jewish law, particularly as it relates to kashrut. In smaller, more remote communities, the rabbi and the shochet were often the same person.

Draining of Blood
The Torah prohibits consumption of blood. Lev. 7:26-27; Lev. 17:10-14. This is the only dietary law that has a reason specified in Torah: we do not eat blood because the life of the animal (literally, the soul of the animal) is contained in the blood. This applies only to the blood of birds and mammals, not to fish blood. Thus, it is necessary to remove all blood from the flesh of kosher animals.

The first step in this process occurs at the time of slaughter. As discussed above, shechitah allows for rapid draining of most of the blood.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Superintendent

Hi Vigilantee

I would say not, based on the fact that the Shochet,as you have noted, has to cut the throat with a clean cut. Certainly not the cut exhibited by our man, and he was operating ( maybe apart from Annie Chapman) on prone bodies, whereas the Shochet, produces a clean cut on a live animal.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
Hi Vigilantee

I would say not, based on the fact that the Shochet,as you have noted, has to cut the throat with a clean cut. Certainly not the cut exhibited by our man, and he was operating ( maybe apart from Annie Chapman) on prone bodies, whereas the Shochet, produces a clean cut on a live animal.
The other thing about the Shochet theory, as with theories that involve a slaughterer or a surgeon, is where would be the thrill of the knife cutting if you do that all the time, if that is your "day job" as it were.

Chris
http://chrisgeorge.netpublish.net
Old 05-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
Hi Vigilantee

I went through that one day. Comparing what JTR did to what a Shochet would do. I found that JTR broke pretty much every sacred rule.

But that wont rule out the fact that JTR may have been involved in Jewish slaughter rituals. Maybe as a helper or maybe as a child and it affected him in some manner.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris George View Post
The other thing about the Shochet theory, as with theories that involve a slaughterer or a surgeon, is where would be the thrill of the knife cutting if you do that all the time, if that is your "day job" as it were.

Chris
Hi Chris,

Good post. I too feel that JTR got a thrill (likely sexual) from committing these murders.

That is, for me, the biggest reason why it doesn't make sense the he would have been in any profession where he was regularly slitting throats/removing organs etc.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Chief Inspector

I too, feel there was a sexual element to these murders but also strong evidence of anger. Therefore, although I repsect the shochet theory, I do not think there is much evidence of it considering the mess that Jack made of his victims. I think he wanted to rip open the flesh to expose the innards, possibly to skillfully remove organs, but equally possibly to cause as much damage as possible.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Vigilantee,

The most complete and thoughtful discussion of the shochet theory continues to be Robin Odell's book Jack the Ripper in Fact and Fiction. Latch on to a copy of that if you can.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Constable

Default Was Jack a Kosher Killer?

Could he have been,possibly.But as someone points out,if the Ripper was a shochet or even a regular butcher,they kill animals everyday,are around blood all the time,so where's the thrill.
Not to say that this man couldn't have turned to the profession BECAUSE
he was obssesed for some reason with blood and killing.Certainly a way to satisfy ones blood lust and not worry about being arrested by the police.
Of course,there was a great deal of anger towards women,either a relative or someone heonce cared about.She had betrayed him,so he was making this woman pay through his victims.

Read a book about Paris in the reign of the Terror,and they mentioned that of the professions that engaged in rioting and murder the one group with the least amount of members participating were the butchers and slaughter house workers of Paris.Very few of them got invovled.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Inspector

Only on Saturdays.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:07 AM
Cadet

There are actually three different questions involved in this thread

1) Was he a kosher butcher?

2) Did he know the techniques of kosher butchers and use them?

3) Did he badly emulate a kosher butcher?

I'd say only (3) is plausible.

Though I suspect he was a devout jew (probably) and so almost certainly familiar with the concept.