Barrister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barrister View Post
    Never heard of him, so I will have to have a look. Thanks.
    Who?
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

The 1887 murder of Miriam Angel by Israel Lipski (that Lipski) comes right to mind. He killed her by the appalling method of forcing her to swallow nitric acid.
      There are details of both Lipski and his victim in the London Hospital In-Patients' records (in their archives).
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrister View Post
        19th Century poisoners
        Colleagues,
        I am looking for books about 19th century poisoners, both the killers, their methods and how they were caught. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
        There was a very prolific woman (poisoner) in the late 1800s or could be early 1900s who was from Bishop Auckland, North East England; not far from where I'm from. Mary Ann Cotton.

I think she got through more than her fair share of victims. Quite a few by most serial killer standards.

Can't remember how she was caught, but what is extremely unusual about this woman is that she murdered her Mother, four of her five husbands and some of her own children.

Comment

Harold Schechters book about Jane Toppan is a great read, it's called Fatal.

Comment

Late reply from me!

Why, my book, of course! :-)
            Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
              There was a very prolific woman (poisoner) in the late 1800s or could be early 1900s who was from Bishop Auckland, North East England; not far from where I'm from. Mary Ann Cotton.

I think she got through more than her fair share of victims. Quite a few by most serial killer standards.

Can't remember how she was caught, but what is extremely unusual about this woman is that she murdered her Mother, four of her five husbands and some of her own children.
              Was she the one who took out insurance policies on her victims ?

Comment

Maybe the forthcoming BBC drama about Mary Ann Cotton will give us more details on her motives. The summary I read said it was sometimes for money, sometimes for convenience (getting rid of her twin babies, for instance).
                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

Her motives were probably mixed. I think she was the centre of her own world and nobody else's needs and wants, even those of her own children, meant anything to her.

Incidentally, Mary Anne was supposed to be attractive. Even the hangman who executed her said so. However, if one judges by the only photo of her, taken in jail, with a thick check shawl around her, all I can say is standards of beauty were certainly different in the 1870's.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                    Maybe the forthcoming BBC drama about Mary Ann Cotton will give us more details on her motives. The summary I read said it was sometimes for money, sometimes for convenience (getting rid of her twin babies, for instance).
                    Thanks Dunny, didn't know there was one coming.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                    X