Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Discussion: My profile of the ripper - by Wickerman 7 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Wickerman 15 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Wickerman 16 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Simon Wood 29 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Batman 37 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by c.d. 1 hour and 27 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (28 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (13 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (3 posts)
General Discussion: My profile of the ripper - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old 10-11-2018, 03:00 AM
Detective

With regard to Propatria's point 1 above, the BBC on Aug 23 reported: "Miss Storie's mother, Mrs John Storie, said: 'Michael came here last night and had tea with Valerie. They then left at about 7.30pm in a grey Morris car which I understood belonged to Mike's mother. They took with them maps and other things to organise a car rally being held at their office this weekend.'"

If she didn't get this information from Valerie then it would suggest that she was at home at the time.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Sergeant

1. Sex before the holdup - Woffinden 1997 hardback edition, page 19 states "He picked up the family laundry from the launderette, and was waiting for Valerie when she finished work. They stopped in Cippenham, where she lived. Mike had a haircut, and then they went to her house. She made tea. They ate it and washed up. It was about 7:45 when they arrived at the Old Station Inn".
Is it possible they had sex at her home? There is no mention of her parents and, I know if we had a visitor, my wife would prepare the food and we would clear up, not expect a guest to do it. Just a thought.
Hi Pete.
Good point. I am of the opinion that Valerie’s parents knew less of Valerie’s involvement with the married man with two children ,than we are lead to believe.
This was 1961 remember.South Huntercombe road passed through a farming area about six minutes walk from Valerie’s home on Anthony way, a council house estate. A motor cyclist gave a very keenly observed discription of a M.M parked very close to a monkey path which ran between the two locations on the night of the so called abduction. Two thoughts that raise good questions : 1 ,Was this a regular drop off spot ,whereby Valerie could arrive home without questions being asked? and 2, perhaps this scenario was supposed to take place, but because Mike was heading off to meet with someone later,for reasons only known to themselves ,could Valerie have insisted on going with him ?
I myself don’t buy into the corn field yarn, I don’t believe the line” my parents knew about my affair with Mike,because someone snitched” (at the time had the Stories become aware of their daughters indiscretions they would almost certainly have been mortified with guilt and embarrassment)as with most decent parents they would want to protect their daughters dignity and good name at all costs, So yes I can see the pair being alone at the house that fateful night.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:16 PM
Sergeant

Quote: While I'm here: Woffinden on p.323 writes about the News of the World publishing Hanratty's last letters "one Sunday morning". Anyone know when? I assume they'd have been the letters sent to his family. Struggling to think why they'd have released them if it wasn't for the money?

I'm thinking ,out of pure passion from wanting the world to know that their son was totally innocent. Is this an insinuation that Mr. and Mrs. Hanratty were seeking to make money from their sons death?
Obversely ,I would like to invite anyone that is interested to read Valerie Stories Story on the entire case as she saw it ,paid for by a newspaper , and very colourfully written I might add. Not 4 years after the hanging of an innocent man ,but 4 months (Ghoulish?) Its on here somewhere under a Sherlock Houses post.

Last edited by moste : 10-12-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:16 PM
Sergeant

Obituary of Cyril Lewis Hawser who rumbled Hanratty’s alibi.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2018, 05:13 PM
Detective

Obituary of Cyril Lewis Hawser who rumbled Hanratty’s alibi

The only thing rumbling was Hawser's belly. He did not rumble Hanratty's alibi, he simply ignored it.

Hawser was a company boy. Status quo before justice sort of thing. There's money it for sure.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:40 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post

The only thing rumbling was Hawser's belly. He did not rumble Hanratty's alibi, he simply ignored it.

Hawser was a company boy. Status quo before justice sort of thing. There's money it for sure.
Your criticism of him might have more force if you had read his report.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:51 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post

Quite so. I've read Silly Loose Horse's 1975 report and it's a shamefully lopsided and selective whitewash of a report. Keeping it within 'the establishment' family he obviously was given an agenda and didn't wish to disappoint 'the old school tie brigade' to whom truth is often a stranger.

No doubt an admirer of the infamous Basil Acon-man and Kenneth Oxfraud.

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]
Old 10-15-2018, 04:48 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie View Post
Have just received Justice's book 'Murder vs. Murder' via Amazon and reading it found it included (p.11) a letter from Hanratty in Bedford Prison to his Mother, dated March 7, that Foot and Woffinden omitted.

The interesting bit reads ...

"... I wanted to write to you straight away and inform you and tell you about the good news I have just received, it could not have come at a better time.

I will not keep you in suspense any long, it is about a letter which I received at the same time as yours, it came from a man who states that he was absolutely sure, that he was the man whom I sat next to on the train to Liverpool on the 22nd August, that is the man who I described with the gold cuff links.

You know the importance of this and it has made me feel most confident now regarding my appeal ..."

Sensational if true ... but as no further mention was made of this letter-writer, I can only assume it was a false alarm.

Anyone have any info on who it was that caused Hanratty's hopes to soar? Or was the letter simply a cruel hoax?
Hi Alfie, just noticed this at paragraph 293 of Mr Hawser's report:

293. Mr. S. P. Terry.—He wrote to Mr. Hanratty on 5th March 1962
suggesting in the vaguest possible terms that he had been on the train with
him.

Which could have been the letter referred to by Hanratty. There is also this at paragraph 294:

294. Mr. Gerald Moffatt.—He made a statement on 7th March 1962 claimingthat he noticed Mr. Hanratty in a compartment when he was passing that compartment on the train to Liverpool which left Euston about midday on
22nd August 1961. The statements ofMr. Da Costa, Mr. Terry and Mr. Moffatt
were sent to the Home Secretary in March 1962
Old 10-15-2018, 05:13 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Hi Alfie, just noticed this at paragraph 293 of Mr Hawser's report:

293. Mr. S. P. Terry.—He wrote to Mr. Hanratty on 5th March 1962
suggesting in the vaguest possible terms that he had been on the train with
him.

Which could have been the letter referred to by Hanratty. There is also this at paragraph 294:

294. Mr. Gerald Moffatt.—He made a statement on 7th March 1962 claimingthat he noticed Mr. Hanratty in a compartment when he was passing that compartment on the train to Liverpool which left Euston about midday on
22nd August 1961. The statements ofMr. Da Costa, Mr. Terry and Mr. Moffatt
were sent to the Home Secretary in March 1962
Thanks Spitfire. The dates would seem to coincide and strongly suggest Terry's was the letter Hanratty was writing about.

Moffatt's statement is a new one to me. Odd that Foot and Woffinden make mention of da Costa's supposed sighting, but not the other two.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:57 AM
Sergeant

Footie and Woofie both realised that a man with the name S P Terry would be unlikely to have gold cufflinks with the initial "E".