No announcement yet.

The 1961 Landscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The original Drifters version was actually released in 1961.

Here's a 60s song I'd like to see you try and sing ...
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• I'm sure I remember some of the wrestlers miming this for a lark on Ready Steady Go, with Mick McManus miming the high-pitched part and having bread and butter forced into his mouth at the end.

Comment

• My small cousin drove me ****ing crazy with that song. Lots of 'novelty' records around in those days - remember 'Ahab The Ayrab' and 'Witch Doctor'? And 'Purple People Eater'?

Graham
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
          Hi Graham,

Do you mean this one?

If so, I really love that track. I believe it has been recorded in recent years by some of the so-called boy bands? I remember my sister buying the record and playing it in our shared bedroom when she was getting ready to go out for the evening. I was about 8 or so?

I believe The Crying Shames were signed and recorded by Joe Meek - genius but flawed record producer.

I think you are right about the 60s being popular again - and not just with us more mature folk. Some of the young people I teach ask me about bands such as the Stones, the Who, the Kinks and also 70s bands such as Pink Floyd. They think it's really 'cool' that I grew up with that music!

Also, vinyl is back on sale in the shops and my husband, as a semi-retirement project, collects and sells old vinyl at car boot sales. There is a very strong revival.

Good to be 'chatting' again. I don't have the energy for Hanratty debates these days but do look in on the threads now and then. Much safer to stick to music chat, I think!

Take care,

Julie
          Hi Julie, Graham and all - thanks for reviving this thread, Julie. Some excellent music being recalled.

Although I grew up in the '60s, I don't remember the Cryin' Shames. I accessed the link and played the song before reading the rest of Julie's post. The opening made me think immediately of Telstar, another and probably the standout of Meek's productions.

Two artists from this era I've been listening to recently and really like are Pete Smith and Chris Farlowe. Smith recorded mainly under the name of Crispian St. Peters and whilst his best known hit is 'Pied Piper', my favourite by some way is 'On My Mind'. He sadly died young in 2010 after prolonged ill health although Farlowe is still with us and sometimes belting out his classic 'Out Of Time'. Very different artists but both imo deserved a lot more success than they enjoyed.

Unfortunately, I can't supply attachments from here but I reckon you could do worse than finding them through a quick google search.

Best regards,

OneRound

Comment

• Hi OR,

The Crying Shames were a one-hit wonder (there used to be lots of them), but The Drifters lasted for years. Their version was IMHO the better of the two.

I remember Crispian St Peters and the two songs you mention, and also Chris Farlowe. Saw Chris Farlowe and the Thunderbirds at Birmingham University, if I recall correctly. Big sounding band. He's still going, as you say.

One of the best nights out I ever had in my mis-spent youth was going to see Screaming Lord Sutch - what an entertainer!

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• People in the UK may have been slow to appreciate that an increasing number of hits were being written by women, because ‘You were on my mind’ and other female-penned songs were covered by male singers and groups – like the Searchers doing ‘When you walk in the room’.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE3ydXSjOBs.

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              I'm sure I remember some of the wrestlers miming this for a lark on Ready Steady Go, with Mick McManus miming the high-pitched part and having bread and butter forced into his mouth at the end.
              Mick McManus is indeed listed as a guest on ‘Ready Steady Go’ at imdb.
              The New Year Starts Here: Directed by Robert Fleming. With Keith Fordyce, Cathy McGowan, Chris Andrews, The Animals.

When artistes were unavailable to perform their hits, RSG had more imaginative ways of presenting their songs than wheeling out Pans People. For example:
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Thanks, Graham.

I certainly know of The Drifters. I would guess they are still going and possibly in more than one spin-off version from the original group.

I grew up in the Midlands. Pretty sure that Farlowe owned and ran a country pub near Rugby for a short while in the '70s.

Only ever saw Sutch on tv and that was mainly when he was promoting The Monster Raving Loony party. Seeing him live must have been wonderful!

Someone else very different from that era but still a true entertainer whom I always wanted to go and see perform was Acker Bilk. Sadly I didn't and now the chance is gone.

Best regards,

OneRound

Comment

• Nick - the Stones and Cathy McGowan miming to Sonny and Cher's 'I Got You, Babe' is a classic find. I salute you, sir.

Best regards,

OneRound

Comment

• A salute to Nick from me as well- that was a terrific find.
                    Cathy McGowan must have dome some acting prior to her TV work, for she had Cher's mannerisms off to a T.
                    A reminder of when 'pop' music did not take itself so seriously.

Comment

• I was very surprised to see the Stones doing comedy. Great find.

Comment

• Yes indeed, Nick - fabulous!

This one is a bit later than 1961, but for me just about sums up the 1960's...well, my Sixties at any rate!
                        http://mx.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=3FAD6DF689FC6C23Jefferson Airplane "White Rabbit" Live on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.From the Dvd "Fly Jefferso...

Graham

Comment

• A good way to refresh memories of 61 is to use this. Every week covered :

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                            I hope nobody minds but I thought I would revive this thread as people seemed to enjoy it?

Del Shannon was in the charts with the hit below in 1961 and I have posted it for several reasons. Firstly, it's an excellent song in a pop-song sort of way. Secondly, it always seemed to be playing at the fairground, whether I visited in the 60s, 70s or 80s (I haven't been to a fairground since the 80s!). Thirdly, I believe Del was just about to join the truly excellent Travelling Wilburys when he sadly died. In his honour, they recorded Run Away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziLagAgoPCE
                            Thats a real classic by Del Shannon, Julie. I liked his music very much. Sadly enough, as you most probably know, he took his own life after suffering for some time with depression.
                            "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

Comment

• Comment

• A high quality version of that week's number 1 ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e4JXwd7XMo

A poignant shot at the end showing the NME chart with the date of the murder.

Comment

Working...
                                X