No announcement yet.

Where have all the accents gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bla - if you want accents come and have a chat with me when I'm not speaking in an official capacity. Then, when you've got used to that, you can go hardcore and speak to Alan Sharp.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Cuz Oi wuz born in Brum, loike, Oi ay gorran axcint at orl, me. Witchizza pity cuz Oi loike a noice axcint as lung as it int Belfast or, wairse, Cockney.

Ta-ra yo lot,

Gra-yum
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Ya wha???

he he this must be causing all sorts of confusion over the pond loike

You'll be wantin' a kipper tie then Graham?
        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
          Ya wha???

he he this must be causing all sorts of confusion over the pond loike

You'll be wantin' a kipper tie then Graham?
          Noice pointa Marstons Pedigree ud be berrer, ta.

Gra-yum
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

He heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

I know I've got an accent, I just don't know what it is. As it were. There's no chance of anyone not being able to tell me and Stephen Fry apart.
              Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

Oh 'Tell you apart' sorry!!! Heeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

Limehouse,

I would be interested to know if, along with a fading of the accents you also noticed a loss of regional vocabularly. The vocabulary rather than pronunciation is often a better indicator of one's linguistic location. Despite waves of in-migration, certain words remain however differently they are rendered.

Don.
                  "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

are you talking about estuary english? this is mostly affected by young people, as its meant to sound 'cooler'. i often wonder why kids speak with that wierd accent (innit, safe blud!) problem is noone really talks like that its an invented accent made up of asian, west indian and home counties accents. these things change sadly, along with most things english
                    if mickey's a mouse, and pluto's a dog, whats goofy?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      It's happened in the last 15-20 years in Wales, too - much to my chagrin. It's bad enough (from a personal perspective) that the Welsh language has declined, but to lose the way in which English is - was - spoken in these parts is doubly sad.

Much of it is pure affectation, evidence of which may be gleaned by the rather unique situation we have in Wales of bilingual sports commentators and presenters, who double up between the English-speaking BBC Wales television and the Welsh-speaking media (BBC Radio Cymru and the S4C television channel). When commentator "A" is speaking of the Argentine/Italian rugby players Felipe Contepomi and Mirco Bergamasco on BBC Cymru/S4C their names are pronounced with the typical Welsh (and authentic Latin) "flat vowels" and rolled R's: Felipeh Contepohmi and Meerrcoh Berrgamascoh. The same commentator, on the English-speaking media, reverts to the (inauthentic) "FelipAY ContepOWmi" and "MURcOW BURgamascOW". Ordinary people will dine on "behked potehtohs" and wash it down with "cohk" at "hohm", but when away from "hOWm" they'll order "bAYked potAYtOWs" and "cOWk".

I can understand those who've lived away from home for a considerable time acquiring their adopted accent over many years, but I'm talking about those who seldom set foot outside where they were born (except for holidays) developing an overnight "twang" or, worse, switching the way they speak from one accent to another to apparently sound "better". It's little more than a self-conscious denial of one's roots, which I find desperately sad
                      I would be terribly sad not to hear the beautiful Welsh accent again! We had several Welsh teachers at our London school and several Welsh families in the Baptist church I attended and I loved listening to those speakers.

I also have a recording of Dylan Thomas reading Under Milk Wood (with others) which I love to listen to when I'm ironing. There's a lovely bit that reminds me of hubbie and I:

At the sea-end of town, Mr and Mrs Floyd, the cocklers, are
                      sleeping as quiet as death, side by wrinkled side, toothless,
                      salt and brown, like two old kippers In a box.

Long live our regional accents!

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                        Limehouse,

I would be interested to know if, along with a fading of the accents you also noticed a loss of regional vocabularly. The vocabulary rather than pronunciation is often a better indicator of one's linguistic location. Despite waves of in-migration, certain words remain however differently they are rendered.

Don.
                        That's an interesting point because some of the regional vocabulary does seem to linger. For example, in Fenland, any age of male is referred to as 'an old boy' and I still hear that, even from the youngters. Similarly, when referring to people affectionately, the locals use the term 'ducks' (in much the same way that Gordies use 'pet'.

On the other hand, I have noticed the once-only-used-in-the-north term 'lad' used up and down the country by youngsters referring to teenage boys.

I didn't notice any particular Suffolk-only vocabulary being used when I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                          To be honest, Suzi, I don't know how it's spelt. Maybe Gareth could help here.
                          Thanks, JB - the usual rendering (at least using English spelling conventions) is "cwtch". The Welsh verb is "cwtsio" (pronounced "cwtcho"), meaning to snuggle/cuddle.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Ah well, you folks are currently spared what we in the States face--the constant promotional ads on the Fox Soccer Channel in which Mrs. Beckham tells us "You aw watching Fox Socca Chan-new.

I wish to 'L she'd find that final L

Don.
                            "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                              Mrs. Beckham tells us "You aw watching Fox Socca Chan-new.

I wish to 'L she'd find that final L
                              You're lucky that she's not promoting a pool tournament, Don.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

He he- Ta for the cwtch!

Comment

Working...
                                X