No announcement yet.

Hyam Hyams: Portrait of a Suspect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was the photo in the original post #72 on this thread by Rob House that I quoted in my last post

Click image for larger version  Name:	h hyams.png Views:	0 Size:	28.0 KB ID:	813729

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
      This was the photo in the original post #72 on this thread by Rob House that I quoted in my last post

Click image for larger version Name:	h hyams.png Views:	0 Size:	28.0 KB ID:	813729
      This 'Henry Hyams' in the photo above, who was admitted to Colney Hatch Lunatic Asylum, from Whitechapel Infirmary, in 1896 (and died there a short time later), could have been the Henry Hyams who lived in Duke Street in 1888 (literally around the corner from Mitre Square) at the time of the Double Event, as confirmed in Post#8 of this thread (link below). Oh my goodness - I'm going down a JtR rabbit hole.

Comment

Originally posted by chubbs View Post

This 'Henry Hyams' in the photo above, who was admitted to Colney Hatch Lunatic Asylum, from Whitechapel Infirmary, in 1896 (and died there a short time later), could have been the Henry Hyams who lived in Duke Street in 1888 (literally around the corner from Mitre Square) at the time of the Double Event, as confirmed in Post#8 of this thread (link below). Oh my goodness - I'm going down a JtR rabbit hole.

https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...683#post195683
        I like you, Chubbs!
        I found it difficult to see your reply, or my reply. I'd spend much more time on Casebook if I was able to navigate it properly.
        Last edited by Debra A; 08-04-2023, 10:00 PM.

Comment

https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...683#post195683
          Interesting observation, but...

The gentleman in the link is a Henry H. Hyams, 5 Duke Street, Aldgate, who is the secretary of a benevolent society.

In the 1902 London City Directory there is a Henry H. Hyams, listed at No. 8 Duke Street, Aldgate (on the East Side) who ran the "Jewish Ladies' Benevolent Loan Society."

It sounds like it could conceivably be the same bloke, only he moved across the street.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Henry H. Hyams.jpg Views:	0 Size:	262.0 KB ID:	814925

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Interesting observation, but...

The gentleman in the link is a Henry H. Hyams, 5 Duke Street, Aldgate, who is the secretary of a benevolent society.

In the 1902 London City Directory there is a Henry H. Hyams, listed at No. 8 Duke Street, Aldgate (on the East Side) who ran the "Jewish Ladies' Benevolent Loan Society."

It sounds like it could conceivably be the same bloke, only he moved across the street.

Click image for larger version Name:	Henry H. Hyams.jpg Views:	0 Size:	262.0 KB ID:	814925

Thank you so much! This is exactly the sort of very helpful post I was hoping for. I'm not clever enough to research archives (I get hopelessly lost), but you lot are experts. What I'd really like to know is the entire life history of this Henry Hyams, so I can eliminate him from my enquiries! Any help gratefully received.

Currently, I'm seeing him in my mind's eye murdering Catherine Eddowes, popping around the corner to his home (30 seconds away) with half an apronful of body parts, waiting until the heat dies down, then popping out again to chuck the piece of cloth away in Goulston Street. Aaaargh!

EDIT: ...because, after all, he's the right sort of age and height, he's got a moustache, he dies in Colney Hatch Asylum in 1896, he lives in the area and his surname is Hyams!!!! Yes - I've found him! My very own JtR!
            Last edited by chubbs; 08-05-2023, 07:34 AM.

Comment

I like you, Chubbs!
              I found it difficult to see your reply, or my reply. I'd spend much more time on Casebook if I was able to navigate it properly.
              Liking an anonymous name on an internet forum is a dangerous game! Careful now!

Comment

Liking an anonymous name on an internet forum is a dangerous game! Careful now!
                I only like you because you led me back to this thread when you replied to my post otherwise I wouldn't have ever found it again (and still can't see it anywhere when I come to the boards- I have to use the email notification link I got when you replied to my post to see any further posts! No idea why)

Comment

What I'd really like to know is the entire life history of this Henry Hyams, so I can eliminate him from my enquiries!
                  He's not an easy man to pin down.

His mentioned brother, Morris, may also have been running a business in Whitechapel.
                  Last edited by Debra A; 08-05-2023, 10:17 AM.

Comment

He's not an easy man to pin down.

His mentioned brother, Morris, may also have been running a business in Whitechapel.
                    I don't think he's The Ripper anymore - Today I think it's Joseph Levy's brother.

Comment

Working...
                    X