Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Varqm 5 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Varqm 24 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Varqm 30 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre square - sets, what happened to them when it was renovated last year? - by Joshua Rogan 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Iconoclast 3 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Iconoclast 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Torso Killings: torso maps - (22 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (7 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: A film Pitch - Who was Jack the Ripper? - (2 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre square - sets, what happened to them when it was renovated last year? - (2 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (2 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Prince Albert Victor

Old 04-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Cadet

Default Something I noticed on the Casebook page for him

I hope it's ok to post this here. When reading the Casebook page for Prince Albert Victor, I read this:

Quote:
According to Jack the Ripper: A to Z (Begg, Fido, and Skinner), the first allegation comes from Phillippe Jullien in his book, Edouard VII. In it, Jullien remarks that "the prince and 'the Duke of Bedford'" (A-Z, pg. 16) were rumored to be responsible for the murders. I cannot find any details on this mysterious "Duke of Bedford" to corroborate this remark.
There was indeed a title of "Duke of Bedford" which I believe still exists. I don't know which one is being mentioned here as, from what I've been able to find, there was a Duke of Bedford in 1888 and also men who were not the Duke of Bedford at that time but were alive then and would later inherit the title.

I was able to find some information on Wikipedia (which is not the most reliable source) and here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/bloomsbury-proj...uals/dukes.htm

I wonder if someone who is keener on genealogical research can shed some light on this?

I'm not arguing for or against this theory either way, this is just something I noticed that could be worth looking into for anyone who is curious.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Cadet

Hi Mondegreen,

The Duke of Bedford in 1888 was Francis Charles Hastings Russell, 1819-91. He committed suicide but the death was originally said to be congestion of the lungs and questions were asked in parliament about the conduct of the inquest. In his book on the suspects Stan Russo suggested that the Duke's son, and successor, George William Francis Sackville Russell (1852-1893) was the man referred to by Jullien. The next Duke, Herbrand Arthur Russell, (1858-1940) was linked to the Royal Conspiracy by Karen Trenouth.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:01 PM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulWilliams View Post
Hi Mondegreen,

The Duke of Bedford in 1888 was Francis Charles Hastings Russell, 1819-91. He committed suicide but the death was originally said to be congestion of the lungs and questions were asked in parliament about the conduct of the inquest. In his book on the suspects Stan Russo suggested that the Duke's son, and successor, George William Francis Sackville Russell (1852-1893) was the man referred to by Jullien. The next Duke, Herbrand Arthur Russell, (1858-1940) was linked to the Royal Conspiracy by Karen Trenouth.
Thank you for clarifying this. I'd been wondering which one was which since it seems like more than one man who would become the Duke at some point or another were alive and adults at the time.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Commisioner

Interestingly George William Francis Sackville Russell would have been a Barrster at the same time as Montague Druitt.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Commisioner

Also I am almost certain that the "Sackville" comes from his Grandfather and he is descended from the Earl of Dorset.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:23 PM
Commisioner

And mt ancestors owned Battlesden house prior to the Duke of Bedford (9th from memory) purchasing it.

Pity they didn't keep some of the money for me,

Old 06-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Sergeant

'' i do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance'' Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit , touch it and the bloom is gone''
Lady Bracknell in The Importance of Being Ernest.

Miss Marple