Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wonīt kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 36 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wonīt kill in Whitechapel? - by Harry D 44 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wonīt kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 2 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wonīt kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 2 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 6 hours ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wonīt kill in Whitechapel? - (41 posts)
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - (20 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Most Ridiculous Theory - (10 posts)
General Discussion: A broken down masher - (5 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (4 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: distances between kills.odd - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Prince Albert Victor

Old 02-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Chief Inspector

Default When were the court circulars delivered to the newspapers?

I seem to remember that the court circulars were delivered in advance(day before), so that the newspapers could print them on the appropriate date. As in "today her majesty attended....". Not good news for poor Eddy if it was so! Anyone have any information on this?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:52 AM
Detective

Hi Curious4,

I always thought that the court circulars were published a day behind, ie: Monday's events were published on Tuesday etc.

I may be wrong but it is an interesting question so if anyone can help with a definitive answer I would be grateful.

Rgds
John
Old 02-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Chief Inspector

Default court circulars

Hello John,

It would be interesting to know. It all depends on the wording I suppose, especially in the 188Os, when it would have taken longer to get the newspapers out I presume.

Best wishes,

c4
Old 02-12-2011, 03:37 AM
Detective

Hi Curious4,

Having had the time to do a little research I can now answer my own question.

I searched one or two examples from the year 1885 and the same for 1900, the dates being taken at random. In all cases I found that the events are reported the day after they occured. As I said ,Mondays events published on Tuesday etc.

Rgds
John
Old 02-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Chief Inspector

Default Court circulars

Thanks John, that does seem to settle it! Shame, though, I love conspiracy theories! Not the one about him fathering an illegitimate child, though, donīt reeally think anyone would bother about it and there is that old law about the heir to the throne needing Parliamentīs permission and banning marriage to Catholics.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Chief Inspector

Court circulars

I have been thinking about this again. They were printed in the newspapers on the day after the events. Presumably the newspapers were printed late at night or early in the morning in order to get them out in time. So how were they delivered to the newspapers? Telegram? Were there phones then? If you posted a letter in Scotland in the evening, would it be delivered the following morning and in that case in time to be printed?

Probably a simple answer to this and I do know that the postal service was much more efficient at the time, but even so?

Curiously,
C4
Old 04-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Detective

Question Mail delivery vs telegram

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious4 View Post
Court circulars

I have been thinking about this again. They were printed in the newspapers on the day after the events. Presumably the newspapers were printed late at night or early in the morning in order to get them out in time. So how were they delivered to the newspapers? Telegram? Were there phones then? If you posted a letter in Scotland in the evening, would it be delivered the following morning and in that case in time to be printed?

Probably a simple answer to this and I do know that the postal service was much more efficient at the time, but even so?

Curiously,
C4
It brings to mind a question to me though, I seem to remember reading that at the time the telegraph was controled by the Royal Post. Having said that I would assume that a telegram would have been quicker in getting say from Scotland to London than a letter would have been. (Can't comment on the guy delivering it though.) Were the two connected? And would the cost of a telegram been prohibitive to to the point of Her Majesty's staff resorting to the post for progulmating the court circular?

Last edited by YankeeSergeant : 04-23-2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spelling & fat fingers