Metro Divisions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monty View Post
    Met police usedletters for their divisions, the City boys used numbers till around 1911.

Monty
    That's what I'd always thought as well. But have seen several examples recently of Met medals named to Numbered Divisions? I've got photographs of them but it won't let me post them, assume there to big and if I reduce them you won't be able to see them clearly. But trust me they exist, there's an example on ebay this very moment!!
    Last edited by PC2267; 01-27-2015, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Metropolitan Police Jubilee Medal - 1887

The medal in the photographs is named on the rim to: PC. C. Tizard – 2nd DIV

Here for sale is a Metropolitan Police Jubilee 1887 Medal.

eBay item number:

Comment

I'll have a crack this PC2267. Metropolitan Police General Orders of 1873 (MEPO 8/3), in a section entitled "Divisions", includes a table showing the area and strength of the police divisions which contains a column headed "Letter and Local Name of Each Division". After the usual lettered divisions from A to Y are listed, appears the below which matches the list you posted in #4 (suggesting that "2nd Div" would be Portsmouth Dockyard, albeit that the five numbered divisions listed are also stated to be "beyond the Metropolitan Police District"):
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X