Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flood

Anyone know a bit about this chap:

'EDWARD FLOOD . I am a police sergeant in the Criminal Investigation Department—on May 31st last I went, with Inspectors Melville, Sweeney, and Walsh, to 54, Park Walk—in consequence of a message from Inspector Melville I went to Vitz's, a cabinet-maker, in a street near by—I saw the prisoner there and told him that Chief Inspector Melville and other officers were at his house and would require him to be there—he said, "Hallo, what's up now? Are you looking for some more dynamite?"—a little time after, while changing his clothes, he remarked, "I wish I had nothing to do with these fellows"—I then took him in a cab to 54, Park Walk—he was there when the officers searched the house—I found this pocket-book on a table.

Cross-examined. I have known the prisoner for some long time—I had previously been to his house in Pitt Street, on two occasions, for the purpose of making inquiries with reference to the man Francois, not to search the house—I said on the first occasion that I was a police officer—at the time I found the pocket-book the prisoner and his wife were downstairs, not detained there—I kept it in my possession till the following morning; that was all I found—on the previous occasion I called at his house I was not inquiring for Francois—the prisoner had no conversation with me about Francois—I was concerned in the search made at the Autonomie Club; it was a club composed of foreigners of different nationalities—us far as I knew they were Anarchists—I do not know

See original
    that there are two distinct classes of opinion amongst them—I do not know much about the prisoner—I believe he is a hard-working man—I was aware that he was in Mr. Vitz's shop as a cabinet maker—I did not find him unwilling to give me access to his house—I was at his house on an occasion about some person I was looking for—the prisoner was in the room at the time; he opened the door—on this occasion I saw several heaps of literature, principally in German—I became acquainted with the prisoner about twelve months ago—I went to his lodgings to make inquiry about Friedingsdorff; that was the first time, a year ago.

Re-examined. The Autonomie Club was composed almost entirely of foreigners living in London—the premises of the club were in Windmill Street—it had been under the observation of the police for a long time—it was on the 16th February that I went there with other officers to make inquiries—every person in the house was searched, and a number of documents were taken possession of—the club has since been broken up—the fact of what happened there was well known in the neighbourhood the following day.

By the JURY. It was from information I received that I went to the prisoner's house—it was not at the cabinet-maker's that I first knew him; I knew him twelve months before—I knew him as Brail; that was in Pitt Street.

By the COURT. He had not been communicated with in any way as to the raid en the Autonomie Club, after it was made; he was not there—I knew he was an intimate friend of some of the members of the club—Friedingsdorff was a member of it; that was nine months previous—I think the prisoner had been working for Mr. Vitz about four months; I don't know what he was doing before that.

What year does the report date from?

I found a couple Edward Floods on Genforum, and one on Rootschat, but struggling to find one in the district of London.
    Last edited by Mike Covell; 07-18-2009, 06:24 PM.
    Regards Mike

Comment

There is an Edward Flood born in Cork in 1858 who was a resident Police Constable at Greenwich Police Station in 1881.

By 1901 he was a 40 yrs old Det. Sgt. married to Amy, living in Newington.

Comment

Newington, you don't say there, Jon?
        Well, there is a thing.
        Many thanks.
        The report is from 1894.

Comment

Cap`n Jack

There is a discrepancy on Flood`s Census age of three years.

The Inspector Melville may be William Melville born abt 1852 Ireland. In 1881 Census he was a Police Constable living at 44 Liverpool St, Newington, married to Kate. Living next door at No. 42 was Inspector Henry Moore, later CID and the Ripper case.
          By 1891 Melville was an Inspector, and a widower living in Lambeth.
          In 1901 he was Superintendant of Police, New Scotland Yard, living in Clapham and married to Amelia.

Inspector John Sweeney was born in 1858, County Kerry. In 1881 he was a resident Police Constable in Hammersmith.
          By 1891 he is listed as a Detective Officer, married to Hannah and living in Fulham.
          In 1901 he is a Detective Inspector living in Hammersmith.

There are two Inspector Walsh`s :

Edward Walsh, born 1845 Ireland.
          In 1881 he was married to Elizabeth, and a Police Inspector living in Kensington.
          By 1891 he was Superintendant of Casuals and Asst. Master for the Casual Ward, which appears to be part of, or next door to, Kensington Police Station.
          In 1901 he is still Superintendant of Kensington Casual Ward.

William Walsh, born 1847.
          In 1881 he was married to Martha, and a Police Inspector at Rochester Row, Westminster.

Comment

Thanks Jon, much appreciated
            my intrest in this officer is that he was actually shown to be providing monies to Irish extremists during this bombing campaign, and that he was very likely a close relation of Charles Henry Cutbush.

Comment

This is from The Times, March 16th 1921:
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X