A Likely Suspect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding other suspects

Having just read Jack the Ripper The 21st Century Investigation (I know, I'm a bit behind the times here!) I found the argument in favor of Feigenbaum intriguing (I rather favor the suggestion Jack the Ripper was a mariner); however, I was curious why Robert D'Onston Stephenson was not listed (and proven false) as a suspect? I've been out of the circle a bit but I thought he was a favorite of many, and yet his name was not proferred and subsequently refuted. Did I miss a memo?

Phil B.

Comment

Hi Phil,
      It might be worth you checking out,
      1, The Stephenson threads on Casebook,
      2, The Stephenson threads on jtrforums.com
      3, My Ripper Casebook blogg, which features all my research into Stephenson, which is still ongoing, and still turning up useful snippets into his life.
      Regards Mike

Comment

Yo Phil:

Here's a link to the entire 370 page "O'Donnell Manuscript"

http://studies.jtrforums.com/index.php

You don't have to join or register to anything in order to read it. Let Mike or I know if you have any problems in reading it due to jpeg issues or anything of that technical nature.

By the way,Mike is a humble sort since it was due to his efforts that showed that D'Onston was incapable of being the Ripper. He was locked in beddy-bye while all hell was breaking loose outdoors.

Yers

How
        Last edited by Howard Brown; 02-21-2009, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Before I let a golden opportunity slip by to toss a shot at the legal profession and the Feigenbaum theory, may I add that had it not been for a lawyer coming forward AFTER his client had been executed, Feigenbaum would have been small potatoes in the scheme of things. A lawyer who went to the press first instead of the police authorities. A lawyer who was in deep doodoo about money it appears. A lawyer who committed suicide. A lawyer,period.

I think there's at least three examples of members of that profession who have made claims that their clients were this or that after the fact, ipso fatso as they say in Latin, that spring to mind in terms of murders and identities of....and two of those were Ripper related.

Comment

I should point out as i have done on many occassions on here that his lawyer went public with his statement after the execution as he was bound by client confidentiality in the first instance.

Secondly if he were making it up as has been suggested then what would have to gain by mentioning long forgotten murders in a land far away. Feigenbaum arrested 1894 executed 1896

Why invite the police to check out the movments of Feigenbaum if he knew that should that be done and the enquiries did not corroborate what he had said then it would be proved he would lied

Comment

Hi,
              Mr Marriott
              I have not read much on Feigenbaum, but as i understand it, it's possible that his solicitor used a false decleration that Feigenbaum had stated that ..' I just don't know what comes over me, i just have to mutilate any woman i come accross '. For these reasons:
              Why did not this solicitor use this as a case of not guilty by insanity, in order to get his client off the hook and prevent a death sentence. Also with the ships that came in to London Docks, is Feigenbaum listed as part of the crew and matches any dates to the ripper killings. Also i myself do not consider Tabram or Stride or Kelly to be ripper victims, the MO & signatures are too different to that of Nicholls, Chapman & Eddowes, thus there is more than one killer in London east-end.
              Personally i see a slim chance to almost zero of Feigenbaum ever making such a statement to his solicitor that he could'nt help but mutilate women.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-22-2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Why did not this solicitor use this as a case of not guilty by insanity, in order to get his client off the hook and prevent a death sentence ?- Shelley

Good question Shelley. Better to enhance your status as a lawyer,maybe?... W.G.Grainger's lawyer also plumped for his client as being the Ripper as well,so this isn't unique...( Lawton committed suicide not long after this trial and either had or developed a dependency on narcotics at that time).

Comment

Hi Howard,

Still, that's interesting info about the other lawyer ( i knew they could be legal crooks trying to cash in). Good Post How and thanks for that info, i agree it's a possible motive that his solicitor could have tried to use his client as a possible use to gain money from a story to newspapers, or indeed another source to obtain money.

Comment

if he had wanted to enhance his status as a lawyer why not cite the mnay undetcted murders in new york would have had more impact than as i stated previous.

He could use thgew insanity plea as he was pleading not guilty to the murder you can only use that when under differnet circumstances

Comment

If he had wanted to enhance his status as a lawyer, why not cite the many undetected murders in New York.. would have had more impact than as I stated previous.- Mr. Marriott.

Kind of hard to do that, if none of those cases were handled in the first place by Lawton,innit?

Why risk being looked at as a crank theorist, when its so much more convienient to wait until your client...already tried,convicted and subsequently executed for one murder...is deader than an Ostrog thread....and then push the notion that you had or may have had Jack The Ripper as a client ?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                        if he had wanted to enhance his status as a lawyer why not cite the mnay undetcted murders in new york would have had more impact than as i stated previous.

He could use thgew insanity plea as he was pleading not guilty to the murder you can only use that when under differnet circumstances
                        Mr Marriott,
                        If a lawyer cited too many murders as a collection, and later this proved to be his undoing, his name as a lawyer wouldn't be worth that much, it could also show ' If indeed ' the lawyer stated his client had made such claims ( as some killers boast for fantasy & or noteriety as with admiration from some), this would fall as flat as pancake, along with it his name as a lawyer. It is better to choose a limelight case, such as JTR in where the police have failed in catching the criminal responsible for the deaths of these poor women. This ensures some worthy note for the lawyer, including that of some more cashflow income. Things can be over done, and to the lawyers peril in gaining a name for oneself.

Comment

Again,good point Shell..
                          Lawyers without a doubt have offered their services pro bono not necessarily because they believed in the innocence of their client, but the windfall of media attention and noteworthiness they will receive as a result.

Now,having a client die and then go to the Press instead of the agencies that spent so much effort and time on hunting Jack The Ripper ( Remember: A Lawyer is an officer of the Court after all...) sounds a little too suspicious to me...and I see to you as well.

Comment

His lawyer did invite the authorities to check on feigenbaum and his past movements.

If you are going to cast dispertions please ensure you are up to speed on the true facts first far to many on here are guilty of this

Howard and |Shelly i think you both need to take a reality check

Comment

Dear Mr. Marriott:

His lawyer did invite the authorities to check on Feigenbaum and his past movements.

When,by chance, were those inquiries made? After his death and before going to the press or before he died and then going to the police and then the Press?

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                                If he had wanted to enhance his status as a lawyer, why not cite the many undetected murders in New York.. would have had more impact than as I stated previous.- Mr. Marriott.

Kind of hard to do that, if none of those cases were handled in the first place by Lawton,innit?

Why risk being looked at as a crank theorist, when its so much more convienient to wait until your client...already tried,convicted and subsequently executed for one murder...is deader than an Ostrog thread....and then push the notion that you had or may have had Jack The Ripper as a client ?
                                Hi How,
                                Darn good post How, and good points explained.

Comment

Working...
                                X