Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supreme Court to Hear Case of Bakery That Refused to Bake Cake for Same Sex Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with you, Ginger, about the difference between law and justice. Ideally, all laws would be just ones and equally enforced, but we don't get live in an ideal world.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Supreme Court clears him

G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
        Well, I certainly didn't expect that.
        - Ginger

Comment

I have no doubt that Christian fundamentalists who were livid over the Court's same sex marriage decision and who called it a decision by unelected black robed judges will be praising this decision to high heaven (pun intended).

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
            I have no doubt that Christian fundamentalists who were livid over the Court's same sex marriage decision and who called it a decision by unelected black robed judges will be praising this decision to high heaven (pun intended).

c.d.
            As will all true Liberals...serfdom to diversity is not any kind of freedom.
            My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Isn't "serfdom to diversity" a bit of an oxymoron? Besides, what's the alternative - submission to an artificial norm?
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                God bless America.

If that was over here, he would've been sent to a re-education camp for "hate crime".

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  Isn't "serfdom to diversity" a bit of an oxymoron? Besides, what's the alternative - submission to an artificial norm?
                  Yeah that will do.

But really Sam do you not agree that what 5 years over whether someone should be forced to bake a cake is a totally useless exercise in human endeavour?

Capitalism has an answer to this, open up "Rainbow Bakery" in the vicinity and let the market decide.

I'm still really trying to get my head round the concept of a "Christian Bakery" tbh.
                  My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Originally posted by DirectorDave View Post
                    But really Sam do you not agree that what 5 years over whether someone should be forced to bake a cake is a totally useless exercise in human endeavour?
                    A bit excessive, I'd agree.
                    I'm still really trying to get my head round the concept of a "Christian Bakery" tbh.
                    Perhaps they sell loaves and fish?

Which reminds me of a pun I heard this morning. Someone complained about election candidates pretending to be Christians in order to gain a temporary political advantage. They should be more honest with their voters because, after all, "a Christ is for life, not just for dogmas".
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Steer clear of the Victoria sponge cake because it's been dipped in vinegar.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        Steer clear of the Victoria sponge cake because it's been dipped in vinegar.
                        I once wrote a compendium of liturgical texts, but the index failed to mention the reed on which the sponge was placed. I was rightly accused of being unable to organise a hyssop in a breviary.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Great one. I can only offer what the Lancashire man who was present at the time said :

"Ecky homo!"

Comment

Saw an interesting tweet on this subject of the anti-gay Baker. He apparently felt that doing their cake was "being forced to participate in their wedding."
                            Fellow asked on Twitter-- "If a bakery selling a cake for a gay couple is participating in their wedding, then wouldn't a gun shop selling a gun to a killer be participating in a murder?" Hmm....

The Baker also refused to sell them a non-special occasion cake as well, which makes his argument that their request was against his religion dubious, I think.
                            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                            ---------------
                            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                            ---------------

Comment

Pat, do we know that the baker was anti-gay? He was anti-gay marriage, but was he anti-gay?

Comment

Some reports say they had been regular customers, it was only when it came to the wedd8ng cake he said “no”.
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X