Henry Tabram & Peck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Tabram & Peck

I stumbled across this interesting article from October 12, 1869 in the Islington Gazette.

"A HUSBAND AND HIS PARAMOUR THREATENING TO MURDER THE WIFE – Henry Tabram a costermonger, of Starkey’s Yard, and a woman named Peck, who cohabits with him, were charged with using threatening and menacing language to Martha Tabram, whereby she went in fear that they intended to do her grievous bodily harm.

Mr Ricketts, solicitor, appeared for the complainant; and Mr John Wakeling, solicitor for the defense.

The complainant stated, that owning to the drunken and brutal behaviour of her husband, who had been charged with assaulting her, she and her family of six children were now living away from him, he agreeing to allow her 6s. for their support, but she had received no money for a fortnight. A few days since, the husband and the woman Peck, who lives with him, came to her residence, and seeing her at the window, called her filthy and disgusting names. Her husband told her to come down, and he would hold her whilst his paramour pulled her _______ guts out. They both said they would do for her, and remarked that if they could not carry into execution their threat on that occasion, they would whenever they meet her out."

Although I very much doubt Henry Tabram & Peck held onto that promise for 18 years, and finally did her in as they threatened, remarkably it does seem like foreshadowing to her actual death.
    Cheers,
    Pandora.

Assuming she is the Martha Tabram that was murdered, that is a very interesting find, indeed.
    Gives us a glimpse of everyday violence in quarrels of the Victorian period, in an age when there weren't many social agencies for women and families.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
      I stumbled across this interesting article from October 12, 1869 in the Islington Gazette.

"A HUSBAND AND HIS PARAMOUR THREATENING TO MURDER THE WIFE – Henry Tabram a costermonger, of Starkey’s Yard, and a woman named Peck, who cohabits with him, were charged with using threatening and menacing language to Martha Tabram, whereby she went in fear that they intended to do her grievous bodily harm.

Mr Ricketts, solicitor, appeared for the complainant; and Mr John Wakeling, solicitor for the defense.

The complainant stated, that owning to the drunken and brutal behaviour of her husband, who had been charged with assaulting her, she and her family of six children were now living away from him, he agreeing to allow her 6s. for their support, but she had received no money for a fortnight. A few days since, the husband and the woman Peck, who lives with him, came to her residence, and seeing her at the window, called her filthy and disgusting names. Her husband told her to come down, and he would hold her whilst his paramour pulled her _______ guts out. They both said they would do for her, and remarked that if they could not carry into execution their threat on that occasion, they would whenever they meet her out."

Although I very much doubt Henry Tabram & Peck held onto that promise for 18 years, and finally did her in as they threatened, remarkably it does seem like foreshadowing to her actual death.
      If it was the same Martha Tabram it means that in 1869 she had six children by Henry Tabram. And did she change her name to "Hudson" in an effort to hide from her ex-spouse or his girlfriend Ms Peck?

Jeff

Comment

Good find, well done!
        I like the revenge extracted by Martha, clearly she had connections;-)
        Attached Files
        dustymiller
        aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
          Good find, well done!
          I like the revenge extracted by Martha, clearly she had connections;-)
          Thanks Dr Strange - I'm quite keen to discover more nuggets like this, in some of the newspapers preceding 1888. I'm sure some of the other usual suspects may crop up here and there.

And yes, I am quite sure I would not want to be on the receiving end of "a severe handling."
          Cheers,
          Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
            If it was the same Martha Tabram it means that in 1869 she had six children by Henry Tabram. And did she change her name to "Hudson" in an effort to hide from her ex-spouse or his girlfriend Ms Peck?

Jeff
            Yes, I must say I am not 100% sure it's the same Martha, 6 children doesn't seem quite right - I may have excitedly posted that too quickly.

And I might be daft, but I don't follow your "Hudson" reference?
            Cheers,
            Pandora.

Comment

An interesting find just not very.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Wasn't Martha White (Tabram) born in May 1849? I suppose she could conceivably have had six children by the age of 20 if she'd begun at about fourteen and perhaps had some twins, but I think she'd be breaking some sort of record! She married Henry around Xmas 1869 if I remember correctly.

Comment

This is not the same Martha and Henry. But interestingly enough, Martha would end up doing jail time for harrassing Henry and his family. I believe Henry was dead by 1888 so he's off the suspect list.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

according to her bio, Martha Tabram who died in 1888 married Henry in... 1869.
                    Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Working...
                    X