No announcement yet.

The worst suspect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would not be upset by the naming of any suspect definitively as Jack The Ripper

Comment

As I've noted before, without incontrovertible DNA evidence there is no remotely reliable way, at this juncture, of providing a remotely decisive argument against any suspect. And as the Russell Edwards Dr L saga perfectly illustrates, even DNA evidence might be effectively challenged.

I mean what other evidence could anyone have apart from highly circumstantial? Evidence of a confession might be useful, although we supposedly already have that with the Maybrick Diary! And, of course, both Druitt and Kosminski seem to have attracted the suspicion of family members. And then, of course, there's Cream and Bury's "confessions".

Contemporary cast iron witness testimony, uncovered by research? That would need to be capable of being challenged, I.e by confronting the witness. And how would you do that when they're all deceased? Oh, mind you, we do have Lawende/Levy/Schwartz's definite ID of Kosminski,for possibly not Kosminksi, but someone else! And then have there's the Grant Grainger ID as well, possibly by the same witness.

A killer whose committed "similar" crimes: Bury. Local with surgical knowledge, with a penchant for setting fires: Thompson. Committed other serial killings: Chapman...

And that's before we even consider whether all of the victim's were killed by a single individual, or whether we're dealing with one killer, two killers, gang, local conspiracy...

Mind you, I'm beginning to think that the worst suspect might be Pierre's suspect, especially given all of the negative/sceptical comments! Something tells me that's a little doubtful, though!
      Last edited by John G; 09-25-2015, 12:29 AM.

Comment

As I have said before, Lewis Carroll's handwriting is a match for the Dear Boss letter. Google it :-). Perhaps he made his escape down a convenient rabbit hole.

Cheers
        C4

Comment

Uhuh - but the suspect recently proposed in his book by the poster Prosector, Francis Craig, also had handwriting that's a fair 'match' for the Dear Boss letter. I suspect there'd be quite a few, actually.

Comment

I don't know that there is a 'worst' suspect - plenty of fanciful ones though. I find it interesting that many have felt the need to look for an answer here that requires a 'special' person or persons - as if only a perpetrator outside and beyond the mundane existence of most people living in London at the time can account for the existence and apparent invulnerability of 'Jack'. A famous crime should have a famous author, right?

I suppose it's entertaining, if nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Sally View Post
              Uhuh - but the suspect recently proposed in his book by the poster Prosector, Francis Craig, also had handwriting that's a fair 'match' for the Dear Boss letter. I suspect there'd be quite a few, actually.
              I was joking - many people would have similar handwriting, being taught a style at school (a round schoolboy's) hand, as opposed to the other styles used by clerks, lawyers' clerks etc etc before typewriters were in common use.

Best wishes
              C4

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                Hi,

People have a lot of theories about JtR-suspects and they have their own favourite suspects.

But if you seriously would suggest the worst or least favourable suspect - a suspect that you wouldnīt like to be JtR - who or what type of JtR would that be and why?

Pierre
                In keeping with the actual question asked, I really wouldn't like one of my great grandfathers to have been the ripper.

I don't understand how it could make anyone pleased or proud to know they shared any DNA with such a vile brute. But it takes all sorts I suppose. And you couldn't meet a nicer lady than Ed Stow's better half, Ms Lechmere, for instance.

Love,

Caz
                X
                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
                  I was joking - many people would have similar handwriting, being taught a style at school (a round schoolboy's) hand, as opposed to the other styles used by clerks, lawyers' clerks etc etc before typewriters were in common use.

Best wishes
                  C4
                  Didn't somebody suggest Carroll was the Ripper based on anagrams? Or was that my imagination?

Have we had Bram Stoker yet? Surely we have - makes perfect sense....

Actually, his birthday was on 8th November I think - I hope that isn't a clue...

Comment

Lechmere.

Comment

caz:

I don't understand how it could make anyone pleased or proud to know they shared any DNA with such a vile brute. But it takes all sorts I suppose.

Well, there will be three ways of tackling such news. You either enjoy your newfound fame, you feel sick about the distant connection or you stay totally indifferent.

I really canīt say which is the better choice. Can you?

And you couldn't meet a nicer lady than Ed Stow's better half, Ms Lechmere, for instance.

That is absolutely true - Sue is a gem and a half!

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                        caz:

I don't understand how it could make anyone pleased or proud to know they shared any DNA with such a vile brute. But it takes all sorts I suppose.

Well, there will be three ways of tackling such news. You either enjoy your newfound fame, you feel sick about the distant connection or you stay totally indifferent.

And you couldn't meet a nicer lady than Ed Stow's better half, Ms Lechmere, for instance.

That is absolutely true - Sue is a gem and a half!
                        Yes she is a very nice person I have met her on several occasions but like you and Ed she is totally obsessed in the belief that her relative killed Nichols and was JTR.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

Hardly a choice though, Fish. You'd feel how you'd feel.

I'm happy for Sue that she's made of the right stuff to take the accusations so well. Must have excellent genes.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Although to be fair, most people don't really seem to be accusing Crossmere of anything much. I see the whole thing rather like a case of mass hysteria - but on a really small scale.

Comment

I suppose that having a notorious ancestor implies a connection to fame of a sort - I think some people would like that - even if the ancestor in question was a criminal.

Comment

I would be very disappointed if Dan Leno turned out to be JTR. I would hate to think of the Ripper slaughtering Nichols and then doing a clog dance.

Comment

Working...
                                X