No announcement yet.

City Of London Police Group Photo 1887

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you see any of their collar numbers, Pat ?

Comment

Ripper Street Photo

Hi Jon, No I tried enlarging it but it lost clarity. As its at the beginning of programme I assume it is H Division?

Pat....................................

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
        Hi all,

Attached is the 1887 Police Group Photo of the City of London Police kindly provided by Stewart Evans.

The Officers involved indicates its 6th Division Bishopsgate.

I have put names of those Officers identified, ones question marked are ongoing.

Please be wary that this research is no way complete and would have been made easier if the collar numbers were clearer and men didnt grow beards.

However, I hope this helps some.

Monty

As I understand the man at centre has been identified as Foster and Collard most likely to his right; I thought I would share these two rather nice cabinet cards which I believe show the two men for interest's sake.

Comment

Very interesting photograph indeed.

Am curious to know what medals Sturgeon has?

If I may hazard a guess the second one appears to be the Khedive Star, which suggest the first one is the Egypt Medal and the last one being the 1887 Jubilee Medal. Does anyone else have an opinion?

Beards, being bearded myself I would hazard that the two bobbies on Sturgeons left having taken a considerable amount of time to grow those belters would have been unlikely to shave them off completely without regretting it instantly!!

Comment

How on earth did I miss your post SimonLMoore?

Lovely images.

Please PM me if you see this.

Many thanks
            Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

The above cabinet card of Collard does not really look like either man on either side of Foster. The one to Foster's left more so, but not exactly. The guy in the second from the top row, far left looks more like Collard. My opinion.

JM

Comment

Would be interesting to know how many Bobbies were stationed at Bishopsgate. There appears to be about 42 officers in this photo. Assume that some additional ones would have been out on the beat at the time (unless of course the beats were covered briefly by other areas so the photo could be taken?). There is also of course the men who were on nights, to be taken into consideration.

Exactly how many of the collar numbers can be made out?

Would be interested to know whether an 882 is amongst them, as if so I can put a name to him -Joseph PHIPPS. I`m currently researching him and all the information I've discovered so far would pretty much confirm that he was a Bishopsgate Officer, from 1871 to at least 1891.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by The Station Cat; 07-15-2019, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Just mulling this over, I would hazard that these officers are only one rota. Assuming they worked 8 hour shifts (don't think they had rest days in those days), 3 rotas days afternoons, nights. Would suggest that this photograph was taken early afternoon when the day shift had finished there shift and the afternoon shift had taken over. The night shift being at home asleep? Granted it seems a little top heavy for Sgt's by todays standards but perhaps a rota looked something like this?

One Rota
                  22 Constables
                  11 Sgts (2 custody, 4 beat, 5 front desk/admin - perhaps?)
                  3 Uniform Insp
                  2 CID Insp
                  5 Detectives (perhaps a DS in there as well)

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                    Would be interesting to know how many Bobbies were stationed at Bishopsgate. There appears to be about 42 officers in this photo. Assume that some additional ones would have been out on the beat at the time (unless of course the beats were covered briefly by other areas so the photo could be taken?). There is also of course the men who were on nights, to be taken into consideration.

Exactly how many of the collar numbers can be made out?

Would be interested to know whether an 882 is amongst them, as if so I can put a name to him -Joseph PHIPPS. I`m currently researching him and all the information I've discovered so far would pretty much confirm that he was a Bishopsgate Officer, from 1871 to at least 1891.
                    He helped secured the Mitre Square scene. He is in the group photo.

Monty
                    Monty

Comment

He helped secured the Mitre Square scene. He is in the group photo.

Monty
                      REALLY, how exciting!!!!!!

Which one is he?

Where does the information about him secure Mitre Square come from?

Any additional information you can offer me Monty would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comment

Apologies Gordon,

i misread Phipps for Phelps. I need new glasses.

Monty
                        Monty

Comment

Apologies Gordon,

i misread Phipps for Phelps. I need new glasses.

Monty
                          Ha,ha,ha no worries Neil. I did have a sneaking suspicion that this might have been the case.......

However, given other information I've uncovered about PHIPPS, I am in no doubt that he would have had some involvement at Mitre Square, post Eddowes murder. I can be pretty much 100% certain that he would have patrolled Mitre Square, on a regular basis. He served his entire service 20+ years at Bishopsgate and only lived around the corner in the King's Block.

He also appears numerous times in the Old Bailey records and local papers, am slowly piecing together his story. Once I've completed my research I'll post it on the forum.

Comment

Working...
                          X