Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Observer 30 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by rjpalmer 40 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Observer 41 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 50 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Observer 60 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 29 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (14 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (9 posts)
General Discussion: The Weapon - (4 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (3 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Pub Talk

Old 03-14-2018, 07:50 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
For those who believe in such experiences (and I have an open mind), they need to clarify what they mean by 'ghost' - e.g. there's a difference between 'tuning in' to some deceased person's 'vibrations' and actually seeing a spirit who is still alive in another dimension, or however they want to phrase it.
Noted, and a good point. I have an open mind, too. But, well, that's why this sort of thing is "paranormal", right? It includes everything from hearing strange noises at night to getting a "bad feeling" (to quote Luke Skywalker) about something, to seeing a figure, to the far more extreme end of the scale like violent interactions with apparitions.

My friend always said she did not know the librarian had died there, as it was years ago. She said the lady seemed as solid as anyone, but did not respond in any way if you spoke to her. Maybe just a residual "re-run" of things that had happened in the past? Still paranormal, I think.
---------------
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:52 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
Hi, Abby,

Actually, "Christ crucified" is a fairly common expression among some Protestant and Fundamentalist Christian groups. I have heard it before, and I think they are putting the emphasis on the death and sacrifice of Jesus. Catholics, and other mainstream churches, are more likely to emphasize the resurrection, perhaps.

Found this on the web:
http://www.ccf-nyc.com/
What she said. I can readily see how if you're not a Christian, or haven't been exposed to a lot of Christians, that might look negative or wrong, but really it's an expression of Christ's humility, and love for humanity. The central idea of Christianity is that Christ chose to die, horribly, for the sake of all humanity, when he could have chosen otherwise.

Last edited by Ginger : 03-14-2018 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-14-2018, 07:53 AM
Sergeant

It is odd how so many Christians seem to glorify the passion play and death more then the "resurrection" itself....and before the Christians jump all over me.. I said MANY.. not ALL... if you truly take offence to my statement stop and ask yourself which camp you are in!!

Steadmund Brand
Old 03-14-2018, 09:01 AM
Casebook Supporter

Hi Stead

Speaking as an agnostic, I've always been a bit puzzled by the emphasis on the resurrection. I thought good deeds were their own reward. Admittedly, though, it is a bit off-putting. The late comedian Dave Allen had a line about turning up for his first day at a church school. "When the door was opened the first thing I saw was a bloke nailed up on the wall."
Old 03-14-2018, 12:40 PM
Detective

It used to bother me a bit because I never thought it made sense. I wondered if the rest of the sentence had been painted over at some time in the past, despite the conditions of the lease, or by the church itself.
One thing puzzled me, the boss was as sharp as they come. Yet with Ferkins and Frank among his staff, he moved in next to a pub. The Anchor. I was dragooned very early on. I remember Frank telling the landlord's wife my pint should be on the house as it was my birthday.
She said of course and asked how old I was. Like the idiot I am I told her the truth, 18. She pointed at me and said "you've been drinking in here for the last two years!"
The Anchor eventually closed. Almost certainly because we moved again. It became the Livingstone Dance Academy, itself featured in a local newspaper because of alleged poltergeist activity.
All the best.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:48 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
It is odd how so many Christians seem to glorify the passion play and death more then the "resurrection" itself....and before the Christians jump all over me.. I said MANY.. not ALL... if you truly take offence to my statement stop and ask yourself which camp you are in!!

Steadmund Brand
All too true.

But there are a lot of similar issues with some churches (not all of whom are christians) the ceremony takes presedence over the thing being observed.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Commisioner

well I guess Jesus's death and resurrection is the ultimate "paranormal" experience.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 03-14-2018, 06:21 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
Noted, and a good point. I have an open mind, too. But, well, that's why this sort of thing is "paranormal", right? It includes everything from hearing strange noises at night to getting a "bad feeling" (to quote Luke Skywalker) about something, to seeing a figure, to the far more extreme end of the scale like violent interactions with apparitions.

My friend always said she did not know the librarian had died there, as it was years ago. She said the lady seemed as solid as anyone, but did not respond in any way if you spoke to her. Maybe just a residual "re-run" of things that had happened in the past? Still paranormal, I think.
Hi pc
I love old libraries! Worked in one but never saw a ghost but I can see how itís a repository of old images. Iíve heard a lot of stories about the rerun or imprinted type ghost. Fascinating.

Iíd be remiss however if I didnít point out that the actual ghost sighting it always
seems to be a friend. No one yet posted has actually said theyíve seen one.... yet.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 03-14-2018, 07:50 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Iíd be remiss however if I didnít point out that the actual ghost sighting it always
seems to be a friend. No one yet posted has actually said theyíve seen one.... yet.
I told my only ghost story back in your thread about ghosts, several years ago.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:52 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
I told my only ghost story back in your thread about ghosts, several years ago.
I canít find it. Tell it again.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline