Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Joshua Rogan 1 minute ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Abby Normal 2 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 4 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Abby Normal 11 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 13 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: Walter Dew's account...... - by RockySullivan 48 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (36 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (21 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - (11 posts)
Research Related: Henry Kelly - (5 posts)
Non-Fiction: Walter Dew's account...... - (4 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > General Suspect Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-08-2017, 06:13 AM
The Station Cat The Station Cat is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 526
Default John Pizer and his Constable alibi?

Is it known, whether the name of the Constable John Pizer spoke to on the night of the Nichols murder was ever ascertained?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-08-2017, 06:20 AM
TomTomKent TomTomKent is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Station Cat View Post
Is it known, whether the name of the Constable John Pizer spoke to on the night of the Nichols murder was ever ascertained?
I think so. Of the top of my head they remembered the night because they were watching a coal fire when he spoke to them?

If I am wrong, I will be really interested to find out, as it is one of those things I am sure I read somewhere and have taken for granted since.
__________________
There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-08-2017, 07:15 AM
The Station Cat The Station Cat is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTomKent View Post
I think so. Of the top of my head they remembered the night because they were watching a coal fire when he spoke to them?

If I am wrong, I will be really interested to find out, as it is one of those things I am sure I read somewhere and have taken for granted since.

That's what I thought as well, but I can't find any reference to this mysterious Constable ever being named? Which beggars the question, was this something else made up by the press which has passed into Ripper Lore as fact?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,172
Default

well thicke was the one who knew him and arrested him as leather apron, but don't think he was the one who alibied him.

ive always been a little suspicious about that alibi though. it was for the Nichols murder correct?

didn't he also have an alibi for the chapman murder?
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Joshua Rogan Joshua Rogan is online now
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,767
Default

Here's Piser's relevant evidence, from the Telegraph;

"Where were you before two o'clock on Friday morning? - At eleven p.m. on Thursday I had my supper at the Round House.
[Coroner] Did you go out? - Yes, as far as the Seven Sisters-road, and then returned towards Highgate way, down the Holloway-road. Turning, I saw the reflection of a fire. Coming as far as the church in the Holloway-road I saw two constables and the lodging-housekeeper talking together. There might have been one or two constables, I cannot say which. I asked a constable where the fire was, and he said it was a long way off. I asked him where he thought it was, and he replied: "Down by the Albert Docks." It was then about half-past one, to the best of my recollection. I went as far as Highbury Railway Station on the same side of the way, returned, and then went into the lodging house."

At the end of his evidence, the coroner says;
"It is only fair to say that the witness's statements can be corroborated"

Presumably that includes the PC, but he isn't specifically mentioned. Being in Holloway Road, would that mean he was from G division?

Last edited by Joshua Rogan : 11-08-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2017, 07:50 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Here's Piser's relevant evidence, from the Telegraph;

"Where were you before two o'clock on Friday morning? - At eleven p.m. on Thursday I had my supper at the Round House.
[Coroner] Did you go out? - Yes, as far as the Seven Sisters-road, and then returned towards Highgate way, down the Holloway-road. Turning, I saw the reflection of a fire. Coming as far as the church in the Holloway-road I saw two constables and the lodging-housekeeper talking together. There might have been one or two constables, I cannot say which. I asked a constable where the fire was, and he said it was a long way off. I asked him where he thought it was, and he replied: "Down by the Albert Docks." It was then about half-past one, to the best of my recollection. I went as far as Highbury Railway Station on the same side of the way, returned, and then went into the lodging house."

At the end of his evidence, the coroner says;
"It is only fair to say that the witness's statements can be corroborated"

Presumably that includes the PC, but he isn't specifically mentioned. Being in Holloway Road, would that mean he was from G division?
Thanks JR
I know that in sugdens book he covers this quite extensively but I lent it out and cant check, but I believe sugden names the constable and that sugden is very confident that the alibi was strong and that pizer couldn't have been the ripper.

I don't know though. I have never totally illiminated him and still think the alibi is suspicious and that it cant rule him out for pollys murder.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-08-2017, 08:11 AM
Joshua Rogan Joshua Rogan is online now
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Thanks JR
I know that in sugdens book he covers this quite extensively but I lent it out and cant check, but I believe sugden names the constable and that sugden is very confident that the alibi was strong and that pizer couldn't have been the ripper.

I don't know though. I have never totally illiminated him and still think the alibi is suspicious and that it cant rule him out for pollys murder.
My copy is handy....but I can't find anything. Sugden does mention the incident but no names as far as I can see.
It was really the lodging house keeper that supplied the alibi though; the PC chat happened early enough for Piser to have made his way to Buck's Row, but he was apparently in bed by then. He had to pay for his bed a second time as it had already been let out again, so that may have made it stick in the deputy's memory.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-08-2017, 08:12 AM
Debra A Debra A is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Yorkshire England
Posts: 3,101
Default

I don't know the name of the PC but just for interest during research I found that the Round House, also given as 'Crossmans' in some newspapers but crucially Crossingham's in at least one paper. It was in fact a lodging house in Holloway Rd, registered keeper Albert Crossingham, brother of William Crossingham.
__________________
,,`,, Debs ,,`,,

I am not DJA. He's called Dave.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-08-2017, 08:43 AM
The Station Cat The Station Cat is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Here's Piser's relevant evidence, from the Telegraph;

"Where were you before two o'clock on Friday morning? - At eleven p.m. on Thursday I had my supper at the Round House.
[Coroner] Did you go out? - Yes, as far as the Seven Sisters-road, and then returned towards Highgate way, down the Holloway-road. Turning, I saw the reflection of a fire. Coming as far as the church in the Holloway-road I saw two constables and the lodging-housekeeper talking together. There might have been one or two constables, I cannot say which. I asked a constable where the fire was, and he said it was a long way off. I asked him where he thought it was, and he replied: "Down by the Albert Docks." It was then about half-past one, to the best of my recollection. I went as far as Highbury Railway Station on the same side of the way, returned, and then went into the lodging house."

At the end of his evidence, the coroner says;
"It is only fair to say that the witness's statements can be corroborated"

Presumably that includes the PC, but he isn't specifically mentioned. Being in Holloway Road, would that mean he was from G division?

Interesting, so the Constable alibi would appear to have come from the Coroner's hearing, assuming the Telegraph reporter is documenting it accurately. Curious how this was just taken as read and that the Constable(s) aren't named and thus Pizer's evidence collaborated, lets face it he wouldn't be the first witness to have lied on the stand.........
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Station Cat View Post
Interesting, so the Constable alibi would appear to have come from the Coroner's hearing, assuming the Telegraph reporter is documenting it accurately. Curious how this was just taken as read and that the Constable(s) aren't named and thus Pizer's evidence collaborated, lets face it he wouldn't be the first witness to have lied on the stand.........
its always seemed to be a rather flimsy alibi to me.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.