Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Bridewell 5 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Bridewell 16 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by GUT 17 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by Bridewell 24 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Observer 39 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Bridewell 42 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (22 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (19 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (11 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (8 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (6 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (6 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > General Suspect Discussion

Old 10-28-2017, 06:23 PM
Detective

Default Anyone interested in researching 1881 registered voters ?

There is a view that Jack :
• Lived close to where the murders occurred. Geographic profiling places Flower & Dean Street at the epicentre.
• Was white, aged 25 -35 y.o, pale skin, moustache, around 5’7”, stocky (based upon the more credible witnesses PC Smith, Lawende, Marshall.)
• Had some surgical knowledge
• Was not working class (Elizabeth Long described him shabby genteel)
• Was employed
• Likely to live on his own
• Was known to victims who felt comfortable with him (as seen by Lawende’s description)
• Is not a known suspect but an average person

I would take this further and say it’s likely he may have been a registered voter.

Therefore, I’m trying (when I have some spare time) to try to find more detail on the 1,400 registered voters who lived in the Tower Hamlet area in 1888.

I’m using Ancestry.com to try and match the name in the voter list with someone from 1881 or 1891 Census or marriage banns who lived in that street.

It’s difficult as many people had the same name back then, and people changed address often.

I’ve completed 100 names – so a long way to go. I started on Fashion, Middlesex, Brusfield, Lamb, Crispin Streets as close to the epicentre.

My hope is we may find some new “people of interest” who fit the above profile.

Is anyone interested in joining me on this research ? It’s time consuming but also interesting in who you uncover (who would have thought there were so many “potato salesmen” at that time).

I know many will disagree with some or all of the above hypothesis. However, I think they are valid assumptions.

This could also be a useful exercise to find out more about who actually lived in this area.

Attached is an updated spreadsheet in a zip file

Craig
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1888_Voters_Tower Hamlets_Spitalfields_1891_281017.zip (70.5 KB, 35 views)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:30 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarnett View Post
Craig,

When do you think the 1888 electorals would have been compiled?

Gary
Hi Gary
Just realised I never replied to this ....
I'm not sure exactly when the electoral records were compiled. Below is blurb from Ancestry.com.
I gather they were updated every year. This explains why people may be at different addresses

Historical Background
Electoral registers are lists of individuals who are eligible to vote during the time the register is in force (usually one year). Registration for voters in England has been required since 1832, and registers were typically published annually, though some years had two. Registers were not published during the latter years of World War 1 (1916–1917) or World War 2 (1940–1944).
Restrictive property requirements denied the vote to much of the population for years, though these were eased somewhat in 1867 and 1884 through the Second and Third Reform Acts. They were finally removed, for men, in 1918, when most males age 21 and older were allowed to vote. The franchise was extended to some women over the age of 30 in 1918, but it was not until 1928 that the voting age was made 21 for both men and women.
Thus, the number of names listed in the registers increases with the expansion of suffrage in England, and the 2 million images in this database list more than 100 million names.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote