WT Stead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WT Stead

Anyone see that doco on Stead and his "Maiden Tribute" articles for the Pall Mall Gazette the other night?

Best wishes,
    Steve.

Hi Steven,
    Can you tell us what programme it was on and whether it will be repeated? He was quite a character Stead,one of the first journalists to understand the importance of a "scoop".Not saying he was not well intentioned,but he certainly went about things in a heavy handed way at times!
    Best
    Norma

Comment

I didn't get to see the show but would that be about the articles he wrote in about 1885 which eventually led to the age of consent being lifted from 13 to 16? Or something else entirely?

Cheers,
      Adam.

Comment

Norma,
        Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the programme. I'll have a trawl round the schedules in a bit and see if I can't find a repeat.

Adam,
        Yes, that's the stuff.

Best wishes,
        Steve.

Comment

It was part of a series called "Victorians Uncovered" on the History Channel. I couldn't find a repeat within the next couple of days but I'm sure they'll bung it on again before too long. Anyway it was very interesting and one to look out for.

Best wishes,
          Steve.

Comment

Thanks very much Steven, I will look out for that !
            Stead had a sort of "link" to Druitt in the sense that ET Cook,the man he made his editor on the PMG ---when Stead went down,lived and was once a neighbour of Druitt"s at Blackheath and as a child and young adult he was his contemporary and in the same year at both Winchester and Oxford and presided over the Oxford Debating Society in which Druitt took part .Cook became editor after Stead conducted his questionable" honey trap" to expose the abuse of minors and raise the age of consent from 13 to 16 .
            Norma
            Last edited by Natalie Severn; 08-16-2010, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
              Thanks very much Steven, I will look out for that !
              Stead had a sort of "link" to Druitt in the sense that ET Cook,the man he made his editor on the PMG ---when Stead went down,lived and was once a neighbour of Druitt"s at Blackheath and as a child and young adult he was his contemporary and in the same year at both Winchester and Oxford and presided over the Oxford Debating Society in which Druitt took part .Cook became editor after Stead conducted his questionable" honey trap" to expose the abuse of minors and raise the age of consent from 13 to 16 .
              Norma
              Thanks, Norma. I didn't know that.

Best wishes,
              Steve.

Comment

Working...
              X