James Mason in Hanbury Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Mason in Hanbury Street

For my own purposes I have reprocessed the section from "The London Nobody Knows" of James Mason visiting 29 Hanbury Street with the image colour enhanced and sharpened. (see frames below)
    If any one would like a copy I have it in the following formats and sizes:
    AVI - 10564 Kb
    WMV - 9904 Kb
    MPG - 5216 Kb
    The images below are from the AVI version
    If you'd like a copy, message or mail me and I'll gladly send
    Chris
    Attached Files

Looks good Chris - Thanks! Who were the "neat freaks" living there at the time I wonder. Too bad we don't get to see into any of the rooms or over on Cadosch's side.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Wow, Chris. This looks quite good, based on the stills. It looks almost like it was filmed just yesterday.

Best,

Cel
      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

I would strongly suspect that there was footage shot that was edited out. Wonder where that is. It would likely be quite a find if extant.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Did anyone ever find out who the makers of the film were and whether any edit floor footage actually exists ? does anyone know who the lady in the film is ? In 67, was the property still in multiple occupancy or was she the sole owner and dweller with family ?

Comment

The old lady in the film was most likely to have been Kathleen Manning, as she was there in 1969.

I believe she lived there with her husband. I also believe she was the last resident.

John Bennett may be able to verify that.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Cheers Monty. A further question, in the footage, Mason claims that it has changed little since 1888. If it has changed at all, what change exactly has taken place. I seem to recall a photo taken from a higher point overlooking the yard, to the right of the door as Mason enters the yard. I cant however find that so i cant do the comparison directly with the film. Reading one of the witness testimonies of the time, it is described as a large yard, however the footage seems to contradict this.

This footage is so brilliant, it is so eerie and takes us back to 1888 in all ways possible. Shame they didnt visit Mitre Square, Berner Street et al.....or did they ? maybe the editors floor has more to reveal ????

Comment

I have just had a dig around and apparently the film was directed by Norman Cohen, however he is well dead so its no point tracking him down. I wonder what happens to old film edits ? any ideas ? national archives ?

Comment

For me, that episode of 'London Nobody Knows' totally encapsulated the sheer seediness and hopelessness of the East End prior to redevelopment. Watching that film always gives me shivers. And I speak as someone who actually had his hand on the knocker of 29 Hanbury Street, obviously prior to its demolition. I think this was in 1970 - it was a hot, humid day and I'd done the 'Ripper Walk' all on my lonesome. I've posted this bit of personal knowledge elsewhere on these boards. I bottled out and scarpered before I ever found out if anyone was still actually living there. The sign "W Brill" was still in place, I am sure. I have a feeling that the building next door to No 29, looking at it from the street, had alreadly been demolished.

The last time I visited the East End it was like it was another world - vibrant, buzzing, and more than anything alive with the wonderful perfume of Asian food. Oh, and safe, too.

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Working...
                  X