The Original Nightstalker-Unsolved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ausgirl View Post
    This has been one of my "pet" cases for the past several years, and I do haunt a few discussion sites - glad to find another venue, particularly here.

Some exciting things that have come about relatively recently include the identification of background sounds in the "Gonna Kill You" call as being dialogue from the film "Breaking Up," which was airing the night of January 2, 1978, when the EAR telephoned the victim.

It may only be a small detail, but in a case this old and frustrating.. well, people here would surely understand how exciting that might be.
    That's mindblowing! I mean, in the grand scheme of things it's not going to solve the case or anything, but I remember reading the original thread where people were dissecting the audio. Some speculated that EAR/ONS made the call from a clinic or a hospital because they could hear a woman in the background calling for a doctor. Turns out it was a line from a movie!

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
      That's mindblowing! I mean, in the grand scheme of things it's not going to solve the case or anything, but I remember reading the original thread where people were dissecting the audio. Some speculated that EAR/ONS made the call from a clinic or a hospital because they could hear a woman in the background calling for a doctor. Turns out it was a line from a movie!
      It's not yet clear (to my knowledge anyway) as to which end of the line the background dialogue was on, though - EAR's or the victim's - but at least that area of speculation has a definitive answer now.. very exciting!

What's frustrating (but quite understandable) in this case, is that few people are willing to openly discuss suspects, as there's a chance the EAR is still alive and out there somewhere... If he is, I have little no doubt he'd be very computer-savvy and keeping an eye on discussions...I'm sure his ego would demand it.

Comment

The gap in murders between 1981 and 1986 bothers me.

I don't see him being in a mental hospital because he probably wouldn't have appeared to be crazy plus, by this time, his stay in that type of facility would have to have been voluntary.

Nor do I see him in prison because I think authorities would have put two and two together regarding a convict inside for that time frame and asked him for a DNA sample by now.

The military is a possibility.

I have wondered if he eventually slowed and quit because his wife or mother found him out and threatened to turn him in if he didn't stop. Maybe the last murder was one he thought he could sneak in.

The other possibility is that he did kill in that interum and the murders were just not recognized because he was in another area or altered his m.o. somewhat.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Over Seas? Are there any similar unsolved crimes in other countries during this time period?

Comment

I don't think he ever was identified but if he ever comes on radar there will be DNA evidence. Prince Vlad of Wallachia had a tried and trusted method of dealing with people such as him.

Best regards.
            wigngown 🇬🇧

Comment

I should have posted this previously. A detailed link which goes over almost every attack. Forget the sites poi aspect, but as far as detailed description of the attacks and m.o. are concerned it is extremely good.

http://www.thequesterfiles.com/html/..._aka_the_.html

btw yesterday Sac Police dept held a press conference on the case. Nothing new of great importance other than an enhanced composite sketch.

edit:

Link to the press conference here:

https://www.facebook.com/KCRA3/video...4273918236514/

Comment

Just bumping this thread in case posters don't realise the Golden State Killer of the other thread is the Original Night Stalker. He has been identified & is in custody.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/u...er-serial.html

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
                  Just bumping this thread in case posters don't realise the Golden State Killer of the other thread is the Original Night Stalker. He has been identified & is in custody.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/u...er-serial.html
                  Unbelievable really, and supposedly he had a finger missing and not one survivor noticed.

Also, he was locked up for stealing a hammer and dog repellent spray in the late '70s/early '80s.

Many of the victims had dogs and they didn't make a sound, which confused the police, and the survivors mentioned he had a foul smell: no one guessed that the reason was he had sprayed himself with some dog repellent spray. Had they done so, they may have researched the local newspaper archives and found a man had been arrested for stealing it and a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
                    Unbelievable really, and supposedly he had a finger missing and not one survivor noticed.

Also, he was locked up for stealing a hammer and dog repellent spray in the late '70s/early '80s.

Many of the victims had dogs and they didn't make a sound, which confused the police, and the survivors mentioned he had a foul smell: no one guessed that the reason was he had sprayed himself with some dog repellent spray. Had they done so, they may have researched the local newspaper archives and found a man had been arrested for stealing it and a hammer.
                    I believe it was part of a finger, and he always wore gloves. That will explain it!

Comment

If, as it seems, Joseph James DeAngelo is the EAR/ONS, then it seems that there are no further murders after 1986, at least not of the same type as those perpetrated by the EAR/ONS.
                      Although it is still early days, it appears we may just have a prime example here of how serial killers CAN stop. Some still have a problem accepting this, so it would be welcome with a prime practical rebuttal à la the EAR/ONS. Hopefully, it can once and for all clear away a number of misconceptions.

I heard a reporter suggesting today that a possible reason for the EAR/ONS stopping his reign of terror could be how the news spread in the mid 1980:s of DNA and how it could reveal identities. Perhaps so.

It will be interesting to see how things develop. I have grown tired of armchair sleuths telling me that a serial killer will never stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                        If, as it seems, Joseph James DeAngelo is the EAR/ONS, then it seems that there are no further murders after 1986, at least not of the same type as those perpetrated by the EAR/ONS.
                        Although it is still early days, it appears we may just have a prime example here of how serial killers CAN stop. Some still have a problem accepting this, so it would be welcome with a prime practical rebuttal à la the EAR/ONS. Hopefully, it can once and for all clear away a number of misconceptions.

I heard a reporter suggesting today that a possible reason for the EAR/ONS stopping his reign of terror could be how the news spread in the mid 1980:s of DNA and how it could reveal identities. Perhaps so.

It will be interesting to see how things develop. I have grown tired of armchair sleuths telling me that a serial killer will never stop.
                        hi fish
                        bingo. its one of the biggest myths in criminology along with they don't change MO/sig.

they do stop on there own. Kemper just off the top of my head.

if the GSK did stop on his own it might have to do with aging, and or having daughters to take care of.
                        "Is all that we see or seem
                        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                          hi fish
                          bingo. its one of the biggest myths in criminology along with they don't change MO/sig.

they do stop on there own. Kemper just off the top of my head.
                          Kemper's a bit of a special case, in that he gave himself up within hours of killing his mother, for whose death he would have been the prime suspect. I'm sure they exist, but there can't be too many serial killers out there who commit matricide.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Not matricide, no - but I think we have seen the first of a significant number of apprehensions of serial killers based on DNA, long after their active periods. I have always thought that there will be many of them out there who simply either burnt out or found it too risky to continue killing, and who did what clever killers do - leave the scene of the crime and blend in with the crowd.

Comment

Well, it'll be interesting to find out, Fish, that's for sure.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                                Kemper's a bit of a special case, in that he gave himself up within hours of killing his mother, for whose death he would have been the prime suspect. I'm sure they exist, but there can't be too many serial killers out there who commit matricide.
                                yes-
                                Its rare that serial killers kill members of there own family but it happens (homolka killed her own sister) and I agree its rare they stop on there own but they do.

kemper may or may not have been a prime suspect, but it definitely dosnt preclude he couldnt have gotten away with it. plus he said he turned himself in because he was tired of it, it was becoming too much, something along those lines.

but i see your point. neverthe less he stopped on his own.
                                and apparently so did the GSK. and any uncaught serial killer coud have also, but i admit-its rare.
                                "Is all that we see or seem
                                but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                                quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X