Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Simon Wood 9 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by packers stem 14 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: The Mysterious Fred - by Simon Wood 20 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by packers stem 27 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Joseph Isaacs - by Wickerman 33 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Joseph Isaacs - by rjpalmer 44 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (18 posts)
Non-Fiction: The Mysterious Fred - (13 posts)
Casebook Announcements: Katherine Bradshaw Amin (1980-2018) - (3 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Joseph Isaacs - (2 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Non-Canonical Victims > Torso Killings

Old 06-02-2016, 09:38 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
So the uterus and part of the bladder was secured "with one sweep of the knife"...
Which makes it unlikely that the fetus in a jar was hers. Such a cut would be unlikely to result in an intact fetus of that age.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Which makes it unlikely that the fetus in a jar was hers. Such a cut would be unlikely to result in an intact fetus of that age.
Sorry, Errata, but the "one sweep of the knife" thing was never there in Hebberts text. Debra explained that earlier in the thread.

The similarity of the portions that went missing from Chapman and Jackson as regards the uterus and it´s surroundings is nevertheless striking.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:00 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Sorry, Errata, but the "one sweep of the knife" thing was never there in Hebberts text. Debra explained that earlier in the thread.

The similarity of the portions that went missing from Chapman and Jackson as regards the uterus and it´s surroundings is nevertheless striking.
Yes, I don't mind admitting when I make a blooper.
Part of the bladder and upper portion of the vagina was still attached to the uterus though-I didn't imagine that one.

I am not DJA. He's called Dave.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:45 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra A View Post
I for one can think of someone who should learn from that.

But that would predispose that he was able to realize when he is wrong.

Which in it´s turn means that he would need to be able to tell correct information from faulty information.

Farewell, hope!
Old 06-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra A View Post
Part of the bladder and upper portion of the vagina was still attached to the uterus though-I didn't imagine that one.
I have now received back some clarification on other matters I raised with Dr Biggs. The first was in relation to the cut uterus of Jackson. I am going to post what he says but as usual you will no doubt reject it in favour of your own explantion !

Q "The Uterus had been opened on the left side by a vertical cut 6 in long through the left wall; inside uterus were the placenta, cord and membranes.

Any thoughts ?

A. I would suggest that there are two possibilities: either somebody was deliberately trying to open the uterus to get to the foetus, or the uterus was inadvertently cut open during whatever other dismemberment / mutilation / etc. was going on. Either are possible, and I don’t think you can really determine intent with any degree of confidence by looking at the injury… let alone reading someone else’s description of it"

The I posed the question regarding the ensiform cartilage the answer to which I think is already known but I wil post it in any event.

A. The ‘ensiform’ cartilage (or process) is another term for the xiphisternum, which is the little protuberance at the bottom of the front of the ribcage in the midline. So the cut described is essentially an opening up down the middle of the front of somebody’s abdomen from as far as you can go at the top (the bottom of the ribcage) to as far as you can go at the bottom (the top of the pelvis).

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Old 06-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
I have now received back some clarification on other matters I raised with Dr Biggs. The first was in relation to the cut uterus of Jackson. I am going to post what he says but as usual you will no doubt reject it in favour of your own explantion !

Q "The Uterus had been opened on the left side by a vertical cut 6 in long through the left wall; inside uterus were the placenta, cord and membranes.

Any thoughts ?

A. I would suggest that there are two possibilities: either somebody was deliberately trying to open the uterus to get to the foetus, or the uterus was inadvertently cut open during whatever other dismemberment / mutilation / etc. was going on. Either are possible, and I don’t think you can really determine intent with any degree of confidence by looking at the injury… let alone reading someone else’s description of it"

The I posed the question regarding the ensiform cartilage the answer to which I think is already known but I wil post it in any event.

A. The ‘ensiform’ cartilage (or process) is another term for the xiphisternum, which is the little protuberance at the bottom of the front of the ribcage in the midline. So the cut described is essentially an opening up down the middle of the front of somebody’s abdomen from as far as you can go at the top (the bottom of the ribcage) to as far as you can go at the bottom (the top of the pelvis).

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Thank you Dr Biggs.

So, Trevor. What 'intent' have you seen me ascribe to the opening of the uterus and removing the foeutus?

On the other hand, isn't it you that has been claiming it is some sort of obstetric procedure?

Last edited by Debra A : 06-03-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
I wish I could find it because when I found it I thought it was important enough and that action of someone may have given us a clue as to the death. I will continue to look.

"A vaginal incision is a surgical cut through the vulva and vaginal region, generally for performing a hysterectomy, episiotomy or a corrective operation to restore prolapse of the uterus, bladder or vaginal canal. During surgeries involving a vaginal incision, tissue between the anus and vagina are spliced open while the patient is under anesthesia. At that point, the doctor is able to access the inner pelvic region for the purpose of adjusting or removing a baby, fibroids, a diseased uterus or a bladder"

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
WiseGEEK to the rescue, eh?

FYI - episiotomy is an incision into the muscle between vagina and anus, carried out during difficult childbirth and is not a 'vaginal wall' incision. The vaginal wall forms a passage leading from the vulva to the cervix and uterus.

The Rainham torso had the uterus of someone who had never borne children Dr Hebbert tells us, and Dr Biggs tells confirms that there are observable differences between the uterus of a woman who has had children and one who hasn't, in terms of size and shape, confirming that Dr Hebbert was well within his capability in saying she had never borne children just by measurement of the uterus.
The fact that she had never borne children makes it also unlikely (but not totally impossible) that she had a prolapse of the uterus that needed correction, taking into account the predicted age range she fell into.
It is also a fact that none of these procedures required 'back street' work and if genuine problems, would all have been done in reputable hospitals or infirmaries.