Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Simon Wood 9 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by packers stem 14 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: The Mysterious Fred - by Simon Wood 20 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by packers stem 27 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Joseph Isaacs - by Wickerman 33 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Joseph Isaacs - by rjpalmer 44 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (18 posts)
Non-Fiction: The Mysterious Fred - (13 posts)
Casebook Announcements: Katherine Bradshaw Amin (1980-2018) - (3 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Joseph Isaacs - (2 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Non-Canonical Victims > Torso Killings

Old 06-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

In the above situation, it would be perfectly possible for the uterus, cervix and vagina to appear normal to naked eye examination at post-mortem (i.e. no abortion or vaginal delivery would have taken place).
I am very happy to be told I'm wrong, but I find it extremely hard to believe that an attempt to manually dilate a cervix would not leave changes visible to the naked eye.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWeatherwax View Post
I am very happy to be told I'm wrong, but I find it extremely hard to believe that an attempt to manually dilate a cervix would not leave changes visible to the naked eye.
Dont shoot me I am only the messenger.

I think you have to take into account Victorian Doctors were just that, not gynaecologists like we have today.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Last edited by Trevor Marriott : 06-01-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:52 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Me to, progress is being made at last !
Dr Biggs has confirmed what I said, not you!

I am not DJA. He's called Dave.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWeatherwax View Post
I would have thought it might have damaged the cervix of a woman who'd never given birth before and wasn't already in labour?

Old 06-01-2016, 04:05 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra A View Post
Dr Biggs has confirmed what I said, not you!
I beg to differ, but let not argue over trivialities.

The balance of probabilities now swings towards Jackson not being murdered.

And you passed no comment on the likely cause of death of the Whitehall Torso who perhaps died in the same way thus ruling out murder.

Or perhaps the 1887 female torso who was found to have had an incision made in her vaginal wall and perhaps bled to death.

To me that looks very much like something which could have something to do with procuring an abortion.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Old 06-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
I beg to differ, but let not argue over trivialities.

The balance of probabilities now swings towards Jackson not being murdered.

And you passed no comment on the likely cause of death of the Whitehall Torso who perhaps died in the same way thus ruling out murder.

Or perhaps the 1887 female torso who was found to have had an incision made in her vaginal wall and perhaps bled to death.

To me that looks very much like something which could have something to do with procuring an abortion.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
No. Dr Biggs has confirmed that there is no proof that Elizabeth's death was abortion related and that the foetus being removed from the abdomen has nothing to do with the cause of her death from 'an operation' as you suggested. Both Errata, me and others have said that an instant death could be the only explanation but that an abortion had not been performed as Bond concluded.
Dr Biggs doesn't seem familiar with the horrific and often violent methods inflicted on women to procure abortion and the damage done and often evident in cases where they describe a 'sound' or other implement (knitting needles have been mentioned) being introduced into the uterus often causing severe damage. The Coroner did advise the jury that some experienced criminal abortionists might not cause visible damage but I don't think that was the norm.

And if further proof was needed that you never read posts properly I have also said that the Whitehall case could be abortion related but there is no proof as there was no uterus or even pelvis or pelvic organs found, so that would be even more speculative to suggest abortion in that case.

Last edited by Debra A : 06-01-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
I would have thought it might have damaged the cervix of a woman who'd never given birth before and wasn't already in labour?
Debra

What you think is irrelevant, its what the medical experts say that counts.

Perhaps when you become a forensic pathologist or a gynaecologist then you may be in a position to challenge someone of equal standing.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Old 06-01-2016, 04:19 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
No. Dr Biggs has confirmed that there is no proof that Elizabeth's death was abortion related and that the foetus being removed from the abdomen has nothing to do with the cause of her death from 'an operation' as you suggested. Both Errata, me and others have said that an instant death could be the only explanation but that an abortion had not been performed as Bond concluded.
Dr Biggs doesn't seem familiar with the horrific and often violent methods inflicted on women to procure abortion and the damage done and often evident in cases where they describe a 'sound' or other implement (knitting needles have been mentioned) being introduced into the uterus often causing severe damage. The Coroner did advise the jury that some experienced criminal abortionists might not cause visible damage but I don't think that was the norm.
Its a waste of time with you, you wont listen. You think you know best. You have your own agenda, no matter what is put before you its not right and doesn't sit with your theory.

First you say you like his conclusions, then you are pulling them apart. How are you more knowledgeable in Victorian abortion methods than Dr Biggs ?

Three words I say again with regards to these torsos and in particular Jackson "balance of probabilities"

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Last edited by Trevor Marriott : 06-01-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
I don't recall any vaginal incision mentioned in the Rainham case, perhaps you can reference it as I must have missed it. I can't see why an incision in the vaginal wall of a woman who definetly wasn't pregnant and had the uterus of someone who had never borne a child is indicative of an abortion. I seem to recall there were signs she had just menstruated too?

Old 06-01-2016, 04:40 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Its a waste of time with you, you wont listen. You think you know best. You have your own agenda, no matter what is put before you its not right and doesn't sit with your theory.

First you say you like his conclusions, then you are pulling them apart. How are you more knowledgeable in Victorian abortion methods than Dr Biggs ?

Three words I say again with regards to these torsos and in particular Jackson "balance of probabilities"

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
What are you talking about! I agree with Dr Biggs , he has supported what we have been telling you, perhaps that is why you are cross now?

I am merely pointing out that the historical record is full of women who an attempt at violent means to procure abortion has done severe damage. Dr Biggs is describing a very well carried out attempt that leaves no trace, which would be the rarer method I feel. That's just my opinion. You can put it to him if you like, if he has proof that I am definitely wrong then so be it. I wasn't aware he was a medical historian so apologies for doubting his expert opinion on historical abortion practices.