No announcement yet.

Casebook Examiner #7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had no clue that Leon Goldstein's physical description fitted the man allegedly having bought grapes for Stride, according to Packer. Did Albert Bachert perhaps have an agenda against the IWEC?
    I didn't expect Le Grand and Bachert collaborating with each other either. It would have been stuff fit for a Hollywood movie script.
    Best regards,
    Maria

Comment

You're not giving anything resembling credence to the well and truly debunked stories of Matthew Packer, are you Maria? Let's not forget that Goldstein came forward on his own accord to admit that he was the man spotted with the bag on Berner Street.....

That slightly off-topic comment aside, I haven't had the chance to look right through Examiner #7 yet, but from what I have seen, again it looks excellent - congrats to all involved.

Cheers,
      Adam.

Comment

Nope, Adam, I wasn't giving credence to anything Packer claimed even before reading all the recent articles on Berner Street. Similarly, don't tell me that you have any suspicions pertaining to Leon Goldstein?!
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

Originally posted by mariab
          Did Albert Bachert perhaps have an agenda against the IWEC?
          More like a passionate hatred of them and all things anarchy.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
            More like a passionate hatred of them and all things anarchy.
            Just like I thought. (I hate being right all the time.)
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

Maria:

Leon Goldstein's only "crime" was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The fact that he came forward to the police to clear his own name is a further point in his favour, and fortunate for us as well, or else we'd probably still have theorists running around saying that it was the mystery man carrying the black bag down Berner Street wot dunnit....

Cheers,
              Adam.

Comment

Good that we agree then, Adam.
                Best regards,
                Maria

Comment

I haven't finished reading all of this issue yet, but Jane's article was great... very informative... a must read for anyone interested in the life and times of the women of the East End.

Looking forward to the rest.
                  Best Wishes,
                  Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by JMenges
                    Tom writes:

"might have some American readers scratching their heads is the fact that the book has clearly been written for an English audience"

This is probably because this title, and a new one seems to come out every year or so, is really an updated, American version of Fido's 1993 UK imprintThe Chronicle of Crime. He said to me that Barnes and Noble bought the rights to the book and has someone other than Fido updating it. According to Fido, he has nothing to do with the book True Crime, nor does he make much if any money off of it, and is as surprised as anyone else when he sees a new edition on the shelves.

Still, its a good book if you cannot get your hands on The Chronicle of Crime. I was able to find Carlton Books Ltd's 2000 paperback (336 pages) for $8.50 at a local used book store, so they are out there.

JM
                    Jonathan,

Since you're apparently now the executive editor, would you be so kind as to include this information in CE8 on my behalf. I'm delighted and relieved to learn that Martin Fido had no part in the nonsense that got under my skin. In fact, had I known that, I would have given it an extra star.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Will do, Tom. I believe Martin mentioned this on a podcast, but maybe off-air. I'll see if I can locate his exact words on True Crime and include that in the next issue.

I've not been named Executive Editor.

All the best.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges
                        I've not been named Executive Editor.
                        Me either. I heard it was Suzi Hanney.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Suzy Hanney is the new editor for special features. Diddles is the new executive editor for Casebook Examiner.
                          Best regards,
                          Maria

Comment

I have finished the fine interview with Rob House. Although I don't cotton to suspect books in general, this is one I will certainly purchase as it deals with (for the first time in book form) probably the most prominent contemporary suspect in this case.

The information about the political and social climate in Eastern Europe and East London will be most valuable to those of us who have only a periperal understanding of that topic.
                            Best Wishes,
                            Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Working...
                            X