Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 1 minute ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 22 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 34 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Busy Beaver 1 hour and 13 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Michael W Richards 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (37 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (10 posts)
Witnesses: The mysterious Mrs Kennedy... - (3 posts)
Visual Media: A new BBC One documentary about one of the most infamous serial killers of all time. - (2 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: If Mrs. Maxwell Didn't See Mary Who Did She See? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Old 02-13-2018, 08:32 AM
Constable

Default London slums. Reminiscent of Millers Court

... and Mary Jane Kelly : 1880's - Clarence Rook :
I had unthinkingly neglected to adapt my dress in any way to the occasion, and in consequence was subjecting my friend to uneasiness and possible annoyance. I expressed my regret, and, buttoning my coat, started down the court as young Alf melted into the crowd. It was not a pretty court. The houses were low, with narrow doorways and windows that showed no glimmer of light. Heaps of garbage assailed the feet and the nose. Not a living soul was to be seen until I had nearly reached the other end, and could just discern the form of young Alf leaning against one of the posts at the exit of the court. Then suddenly two women in white aprons sprang into view from nowhere, gave a cry, and stood watching me from a doorway. “They took you for a split,” said young Alf, as we met at the end of the court. “I know’d they would. ‘Ello, Alice !”
A girl stood in the deep shadow of the corner house. Her head was covered by a shawl, and I could not see her face, but her figure showed youth and a certain grace.
“ ‘Ello!” she said, without moving.
“When you goin’ to get merried?” asked young Alf.
“When it comes,” replied the girl softly. The voice that falls like velvet on your ear and lingers in your memory is rare. Wendell Holmes says somewhere that he had heard but two perfect speaking voices, and one of them belonged to a German chambermaid. The softest and most thrilling voice I ever heard I encountered at the corner of one of the lowest slums in London.
Young Alf was apparently unaffected by it, for, having thus accorded the courtesy due to an acquaintance, he whipped round swiftly to me and said, “Where them women’s standing is where Pat Hooligan lived, ‘fore he was pinched.”
It stood no higher than the houses that elbowed it, and had nothing to distinguish it from its less notable neighbours. But if a Hooligan boy prayed at all, he would pray with his face toward that house half-way down Irish Court. “And next door this side,” continued young Alf, “that’s where me and my muvver kipped when I was a nipper.”
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:17 PM
Chief Inspector

Interesting. I looked up Clarence Rook and found he is known for the "Hooligan Nights" series.

This article debates the likelihood that it was Victorian slum reportage, rather than Victorian fiction, but the author insisted it was rooted in fact. I think it seems like a mix of the two.

http://oxfordsociology.blogspot.com/...an-nights.html

I'm guessing something this old may be available at Project Gutenberg or something like it.
---------------

Last edited by Pcdunn : 02-13-2018 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Correcting typo.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:39 PM
Sergeant

"The Hooligan Nights" is a classic, and you really ought to read it, if you're at all interested in the Late Victorian demi-monde.

https://www.amazon.com/Hooligan-Nigh.../dp/B004Q3RHYO

Bizarrely, the verb "to nark (on someone)" makes its appearance here, in 1899, no less, meaning exactly what it does today. I'd always held the unexamined assumption, as I'm sure that most of my generation did, that it derived from the practice of calling a narcotics officer a "narc". It's much older than that.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:33 PM
Constable

I downloaded it free in pdf format. Well worth reading. It's a great period to study, so much is out of copyright!
Old 02-18-2018, 03:10 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
"The Hooligan Nights" is a classic, and you really ought to read it, if you're at all interested in the Late Victorian demi-monde.

https://www.amazon.com/Hooligan-Nigh.../dp/B004Q3RHYO

Bizarrely, the verb "to nark (on someone)" makes its appearance here, in 1899, no less, meaning exactly what it does today. I'd always held the unexamined assumption, as I'm sure that most of my generation did, that it derived from the practice of calling a narcotics officer a "narc". It's much older than that.
Hi Ginger

As you discovered, the original meaning of the slag word "nark" as in "narking" on someone, had nothing whatever to do with drugs, although as you say the present-day presumption is that it does have a link to drugs.

Cheers

Chris
For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/
Old 02-18-2018, 07:17 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
Hi Ginger

As you discovered, the original meaning of the slag word "nark" as in "narking" on someone, had nothing whatever to do with drugs, although as you say the present-day presumption is that it does have a link to drugs.

Cheers

Chris
A learning moment for me, yeah.