Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun-Carrying Customers Get a Discount at Texas Barbecue Restaurant

c.d.

Are gun shops giving out free guns if you walk in with a burger?

Comment

Are the owners hoping for an entertaining shoot-out? This says it all about US gun laws, I think. It's a reminder to give Texas a wide berth on my next holiday across the Pacific!

Comment

Open carry and BBQ-- good idea?

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
        Are the owners hoping for an entertaining shoot-out? This says it all about US gun laws, I think. It's a reminder to give Texas a wide berth on my next holiday across the Pacific!
        1) Texan gun law, not U.S.
        2) Barbeque trailer probably means outside dining area (if they have one)
        3) They asked people to keep weapons holstered, but hey, ya gotta have beer with BBQ, right? And beer decisions can lead to brawls...
        4) What does "until need arises" mean, exactly?
        5) It's Texas-- tourists beware!
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

I understand the "right" to a gun... and I can even understand wanting to own a gun...but what is it about U.S gun culture that makes people want to be Yosemite Sam... seriously... that's the rootinist tootinst figure you look up too.....

Steadmund Brand
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

A few points. First, this promotion - by a local BBQ restaurant - is not indicative of "U.S. gun culture". It's indicative only of how the restaurant's owner feels about the recently enacted concealed carry law in Texas. I suspect that the proprietor, Tent Brooks, is motivated primarily by a desire to increase sales (and his knowledge of his customer demographics probably tells him this is a pretty good bet to turn nice profit). Second, its clear Brooks is a gun owner and feels pretty passionately about the new law, and the fact that it's now legal to 'carry' a concealed weapon. This is his way of shouting from the mountain (and making a buck while he's at it). I suspect also that he's motivated in no small measure by the growing "anti-gun" sentiment in the U.S. and he's acting out against that, as well.

It's more accurate to say that there is a gun SUB-culture in the United States, one that happens to have a well-heeled lobbyist group in the NRA. As with all sub-cultures there are fringe elements and extremists. These are people who teach their kids to fire guns shortly after they learn to walk and justify it by saying they are teaching gun safety (I own a rifle and gun safety in my house means my kids don't know where the gun is, where the ammo is, couldn't get to either if they did, and have no interest guns because I rarely mention guns). Many hunt but some just 'shoot'. That is to say, being outdoors and dressing animals doesn't appeal to them as much as, say, going to a range and firing a few thousand rounds at a target shaped liked an 'intruder'. Also in the sub-culture you have collectors, hunters, and people with a moderate interest in target shooting, etc. Any one of these groups has it's share of 'kooks', as well. Most aren't, in my experience.

I think that most people in the United States are NOT a part of a gun-culture, gun-subculture, or gun-anything. Just my two cents.

Comment

^^^^Hear, hear! Patrick is right, most of us don't have guns, and I'm one of them. Does that make me any less of an American? I hope not. . .
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                I understand the "right" to a gun... and I can even understand wanting to own a gun...but what is it about U.S gun culture that makes people want to be Yosemite Sam... seriously... that's the rootinist tootinst figure you look up too.....

Steadmund Brand
                Although this made me laugh hard enough for the cats to puff up in alarm, it's not entirely true.

They all want to be John Wayne. They end up looking like Yosemite Sam, but they were aiming higher.
                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Holy Hannah! If I bring more than one gun can I get me a bigger discount? Hellya, 80 percent off burnt ends!

Let all Oz be agreed;
                  I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

There's that American thaaang

I want to be Foghorn Leghorn. I own a Berreta, a shot-gun, a modified something-or-other & a Purdy something. I was deeply trained by my dad & my ex from the Mississippi Delta regarding the whole American viz-à-viz European right to bear arms so the powers that be can't control us & that's why we are ARMED, etc. I buy my bullets in cash. But I'm from the Deeeep South, y'all.
                    From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
                    "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

Originally posted by Rosemary View Post
                      I want to be Foghorn Leghorn. I own a Berreta, a shot-gun, a modified something-or-other & a Purdy something. I was deeply trained by my dad & my ex from the Mississippi Delta regarding the whole American viz-à-viz European right to bear arms so the powers that be can't control us & that's why we are ARMED, etc. I buy my bullets in cash. But I'm from the Deeeep South, y'all.
                      Nope, anyplace with alligators, you can own a gun. Delta means bayou, bayou means gators. There a gun is no longer a redneck accessory, it's survival.

Louisiana, Alaska, parts of Mississippi and Florida all have wildlife problems significant enough that going armed really only gives humans a sporting chance. I'm all for the animals winning once in a while, after all, they were there first. But if you piss off a moose or a gator, it's only fair that you should get a gun. Not that a gun is going to help a lot unless you empty the magazine in their skull, but it slows them down a bit. Hopefully enough to allow you to flee. You might not win, but a gun at least lets you go down swinging.

Gators bad. Very bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
                        Holy Hannah! If I bring more than one gun can I get me a bigger discount? Hellya, 80 percent off burnt ends!
                        mmmmmm....burnt ends

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                          I am certainly no lover of guns, but after a recent visit to Dallas I would certainly holiday there anytime.

Rgds
                          John

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                            Nope, anyplace with alligators, you can own a gun. Delta means bayou, bayou means gators. There a gun is no longer a redneck accessory, it's survival.

Louisiana, Alaska, parts of Mississippi and Florida all have wildlife problems significant enough that going armed really only gives humans a sporting chance. I'm all for the animals winning once in a while, after all, they were there first. But if you piss off a moose or a gator, it's only fair that you should get a gun. Not that a gun is going to help a lot unless you empty the magazine in their skull, but it slows them down a bit. Hopefully enough to allow you to flee. You might not win, but a gun at least lets you go down swinging.

Gators bad. Very bad.
                            The above is Errata being ironic, isn`t it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                              The above is Errata being ironic, isn`t it ?
                              Ironic but earned hysterics really. I really do hate guns quite a lot.

But I had a bad experience with a gator that made me very grateful for a redneck with a gun. No gators were harmed (I don't think), but I have developed a deep seated resentment, shall we say, for the crocodillid race. They have every right to be what they are, but if I ever get yanked back towards a swamp again my "live and let live" philosophy will likely pop like a soap bubble. I'll probably be screaming "Kill It!" like a terrified little girl. It's not pretty, but there it is.

So if I'm fundamentally okay with with a drunk redneck saving my life with a gun (and he was drunk), then it's hypocritical of me to insist that others cannot have their lives save by a drunk redneck with a gun. At least when gators are involved, who don't respond to the usual battery of human defenses.

Comment

Working...
                              X