Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 8 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by PaulB 1 hour and 15 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by Herlock Sholmes 2 hours ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Michael W Richards 2 hours ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Michael W Richards 2 hours ago.
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - by harry 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (42 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (25 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (12 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (6 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (2 posts)
General Discussion: Do you think it will be solved? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old 09-19-2018, 02:13 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock Houses View Post

This is precisely what he would have encountered after getting off the bus, as evidenced by the two attached photos from that time.
What's happened to the picture house mentioned on page 122 of Woff's book? And why hasn't Woff mentioned the traffic island or the railings?

Woff had access to Hanratty's original statement to his solicitor, did this mention the picture house but omitted to mention the island and railings?

If, as we all know, there were 29 sweet shops, newsagents etc. on the Scotland Road there would only be a need to concentrate the checks on the (few/one) opposite a traffic island and railings, yet neither Foot nor Woff refer to this, so it would seem that the bizzies did not know about the island and railings.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:29 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
What's happened to the picture house mentioned on page 122 of Woff's book? And why hasn't Woff mentioned the traffic island or the railings?

Woff had access to Hanratty's original statement to his solicitor, did this mention the picture house but omitted to mention the island and railings?

If, as we all know, there were 29 sweet shops, newsagents etc. on the Scotland Road there would only be a need to concentrate the checks on the (few/one) opposite a traffic island and railings, yet neither Foot nor Woff refer to this, so it would seem that the bizzies did not know about the island and railings.
I have to confess that SH's claim regarding what JH is reported to have said in court about the traffic island is new to me. Can this please be checked by someone with access to the trial proceedings?

Indeed, what did happen to the picture house? I have an admittedly imperfect memory of someone on the pre-crash Forum doing some digging on the spot in Liverpool, and who discovered that there never was a picture-house opposite Cowley's shop. Which does not mean to say that there were no picture-houses at all on Scotland Rd., and that another of the 29 sweet-shops could well have been situated opposite one.

JH was adept in his construction of both the Liverpool and Rhyl 'alibis' in using his memories of previous, proven, visits to both places. These memories are nearly always muddled, however, and are not, and were not, reliable.

Graham
Old 09-19-2018, 03:58 AM
Sergeant

The pertinent description by Hanratty of his visit to the sweetshop is the one in his original statement.

Hanratty’s description changed after Kleinman visited the sweetshop and interviewed Mrs D, as shown by the interview notes in December when he started talking about the sweetshop being on a corner and opposite lavatories. It is clear to me that Kleinman was feeding back to Hanratty information about the location of Cowley’s shop and Mrs D’s account of the road name asked for by the visitor.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:42 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
The pertinent description by Hanratty of his visit to the sweetshop is the one in his original statement.

Hanratty’s description changed after Kleinman visited the sweetshop and interviewed Mrs D, as shown by the interview notes in December when he started talking about the sweetshop being on a corner and opposite lavatories. It is clear to me that Kleinman was feeding back to Hanratty information about the location of Cowley’s shop and Mrs D’s account of the road name asked for by the visitor.
Nick - I take it from this that you accept there was a visitor to the sweetshop albeit certainly not Hanratty.

Do you believe the visitor told Hanratty of the visit to the sweetshop or do you believe Hanratty got lucky in fabricating his own visit and then built on it with details of the actual visitor supplied by Mrs D via Kleinman?

If the former, the provider and Hanratty made a p*ss poor job of getting the details sorted - although many would say that was normally the case with Hanratty.

If the latter and putting aside the size of the coincidence, Hanratty and Kleinman were certainly running a risk that the true visitor would go to the police once details became public.

For my own part, I've long thought that Hanratty bought the sweetshop alibi from the visitor albeit for the wrong day. He was either sold a pup there or chanced he could still use it. After all, it was hardly a buyer's market!

Best regards,
OneRound
Old 09-19-2018, 07:35 AM
Sergeant

I think there was a visitor asking directions, as Mrs D not only recalled the event but mentioned it to Harding the same day. Asking Harding if he knew the road is what she would have asked Cowley’s brother instead if it had been the Tuesday, when he was serving with her (as I believe you pointed out previously).

Hanratty admitted that he went to Liverpool to get his friends to “stand by their alibi” (in other words, get them to provide him with one) so you would have thought he could have got something. It appears that Swanwick believed he purchased the near-alibi. However I don’t know if the judge would have allowed Swanwick to suggest the ‘information from Kleinman’ alternative without evidence. Although the judge did let Swanwick get away with suggesting underhand action by Kleinman in talking to Anderson and Jones before they gave evidence.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:09 AM
Sergeant

Thanks, Nick.

Yep, I believe Mrs D not asking Cowley's brother is a strong indicator of the day.

Btw, what do we know of attempts - particularly by Foot and Woff - to trace the bus conductor who allegedly told Hanratty he was in the wrong area before he disembarked and headed to the sweetshop?

Best regards,
OneRound