• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
    So what?

Cheers John
    My exact response.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
      "It has the same structure as the GOGMAGOG-letter."

Looking at the image of the letter, could someone explain to me the above statement, I honestly do not see the similarity

Steve
      They both use words made up of letters.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• 'Old Subscriber' is using a pseudonym, just like Jack. Pierre obviously noticed this glaring similarity. God knows how many of these 'I'm Jack and I know all about these murders' were sent by nutters to provincial newspapers, both large and small. It must have been such a complete irritant. A bit like...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
          'Old Subscriber' is using a pseudonym, just like Jack. Pierre obviously noticed this glaring similarity. God knows how many of these 'I'm Jack and I know all about these murders' were sent by nutters to provincial newspapers, both large and small. It must have been such a complete irritant. A bit like...
          Trolliere?
          G U T

Comment

• The Ripper must have reincarnated as The Zodiac Killer, since according to this thread, anyhoo, they both used coded messages and they both got away with their crimes!
            And the questions always linger, no real answer in sight

Comment

• What has the GOGMAGOG letter got to do with the Ripper? Answer **** all.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                They both use words made up of letters.
                HI GUT,

The writer is using the same structure in both letters.

GML = GOGMAGOG-letter. OSL = Old Subscriber letter.

Addressing “SIR”, asking him to let him/allow him to speak:

GML SIR, - Let me, in the interest of “the children”,
                OSL SIR, - Allow me, through your valuable paper,

Giving recommendations:

GML say a few words
                OSL recommend

Ironically predicting future events given that they take his advice:

GML I can promise them a pleasant one
                OSL and then, I think, this wholesale murderer, will be caught

Regards, Pierre
                Last edited by Pierre; 01-08-2016, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                  "It has the same structure as the GOGMAGOG-letter."

Looking at the image of the letter, could someone explain to me the above statement, I honestly do not see the similarity

Steve
                  Hi Steve, I hope you are well.

Sure. I can explain it to you.

Giving recommendations:

GML say a few words
                  OSL recommend

Regards, Pierre

Comment

• Originally posted by RavenDarkendale View Post
                    The Ripper must have reincarnated as The Zodiac Killer, since according to this thread, anyhoo, they both used coded messages and they both got away with their crimes!
                    One could surely learn a lot from the Zodiac case. But we can not with a very high certainty generalize from that case to this one. Only discuss hypotheses.

Regards Pierre

Comment

• I think I have found him

Following on from Pierre's brilliant explanation of the similarity in structure of the GM and OS letters as set out above, I have used his forensic technique of textual comparison and believe I have identified the author of both letters!!!!

I'm so excited I can hardly breathe. There can hardly be any doubt about it.

It was none other than Mr Edward Fairfield, a clerk working in the Colonial Office, of 64 South Eaton Place in South-West London.

See the below letter from Mr Fairfield, published in the Times of 1 October 1888 - which I shall refer to as the EFL letter - which follows the exact same structure as identified for us by Pierre in the GM and OS letters.

1. Addressing “SIR”, asking him to let him/allow him to speak:

The EFL Letter begins:

"Sir, - Will you allow me to ask a question..."

Same as the GM and OS letters (the lower case of "Sir" can be explained by the Times' house style).

2. Giving recommendations:

EFL - Don't disperse the residents of Dorset St and Flower and Dean St.

3. Ironically predicting future events given that they take his advice:

EFL - "If she is systematically dispersed, two results will follow....."

It may be noted that Mr Fairfield seems to be obsessed by prostitutes in Whitechapel and, moreover, in referring to Dorset Street, his letter contains the name of the exact street in which the murder of Mary Jane Kelly would occur. More than this, in referring to Flower and Dean Street, it also contains the name of the street in which Elizabeth Stride lived!

Being published in the Times of Monday 1 October, it is likely that the letter was written on Saturday 29 October, within hours of the Double Event. Did Fairfield in his state of righteous indignation and excitement feel the need to go out and murder two women in Whitechapel immediately after having dashed off his letter to the editor of the Times?

Have I not only found GOGMAGOG and AN OLD SUBSCRIBER but also none other than the Ripper himself???
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by David Orsam; 01-08-2016, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• Interesting letter.

Almost a prequel to WE Gladstone's.

The Vestries were attempting to upgrade the sewerage and water supplies.
                        Often hampered by stupid laws.
                        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• What you always wanted to know about history but we're etc

This means....0000000. How does P research contribute In anyway to a meaningful historiographical discourse?? Really? By which historical methodology in existence since the Reformation or whatever?
                          From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
                          "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

• Holy ****

I'm a detective now?! I still know nothing! I'm still wandering?? The true killer probably won't be known for another 100 years.
                            From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
                            "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                              Hi Steve, I hope you are well.

Sure. I can explain it to you.

Giving recommendations:

GML say a few words
                              OSL recommend

Regards, Pierre
                              Given that the Poster has decided to post the same post twice, let us be polite and answer it with the respect it deserves

Point 1

A large percentage of letters to Newspapers both in 1888 and today start with either "Sir" or "Dear Sir" the sentences which follow are also a common form used in many letters, they are introducing the ideas in the letter.

There is therefore nothing out of the ordinary in such statements that would allow one to suggest that they are from the same writer.

Point 2

Most letters to a paper will make a recommendation of some sort. that is the point of writing a letter to a paper. To put across a point of view and make suggestions.

Point 3

There is nothing ironic in those lines, it is just the posters view, his opinion, a creative imagination.

There appears to be nothing connecting these two letters at all, other than they are letters to Newspapers.
                              The poster insists on there is, however the explanation given fails to add any substance to that view.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosemary View Post
                                This means....0000000. How does P research contribute In anyway to a meaningful historiographical discourse?? Really? By which historical methodology in existence since the Reformation or whatever?
                                It doesn't.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X