Bury's whereabouts in August 1888

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johns View Post
    According to MacPherson, Bury had on him when he was arrested at Dundee Police Station the following...

"Several" gold rings
    2 brooches
    2 pairs of gold earrings
    1 lady's silver watch
    2 silver lockets
    1 silver chain

MacPherson says "this was obviously the remains of Ellen Bury's jewellery"
    Of course some of this could be memento's from the C5 murders if Bury was the Ripper.

Comment

I cannot help but wonder whatever happened to all of the items collected, not just from Bury, but from the victims? I understand the clothing was burned once removed and examined, but what about everything else? Could there still be a box of evidence stashed away somewhere, perhaps in a private collection, or was it all tossed out (earlier or later?), or simply pilfered over time? Would be neat if a stash of such evidence, even if its evidentiary value was gone, turned up one day!

Comment

Originally posted by Single-O-Seven View Post
        I cannot help but wonder whatever happened to all of the items collected, not just from Bury, but from the victims? I understand the clothing was burned once removed and examined, but what about everything else? Could there still be a box of evidence stashed away somewhere, perhaps in a private collection, or was it all tossed out (earlier or later?), or simply pilfered over time? Would be neat if a stash of such evidence, even if its evidentiary value was gone, turned up one day!
        Pilfered is my guess, like the ripper files.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
          Pilfered is my guess, like the ripper files.
          I suppose this means there is hope that's it still out there, somewhere. May turn up again one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Single-O-Seven View Post
            I suppose this means there is hope that's it still out there, somewhere. May turn up again one day.
            Hope springs eternal, but I'm not holding my breath.

Something pilfered in the early 1900s was pilfered by someone long dead. I think the probability is that someone having no idea what the tin matchbox (or whatever othe little momento) was related to (or maybe even knowing) tossed it.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
              Hope springs eternal, but I'm not holding my breath.

Something pilfered in the early 1900s was pilfered by someone long dead. I think the probability is that someone having no idea what the tin matchbox (or whatever othe little momento) was related to (or maybe even knowing) tossed it.
              Your point is a valid one. But some times, great-grandpa's stuff gets held on to just because it was great-grandpa's. Some of it may still be there, waiting to turn up. But I grant that it might just as well have been lost in a fire or destroyed if its context/meaning is lost to those who own it now, as it may never see the light of day.

Comment

Working...
              X