Elizabeth Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
    How common was mohair in 1888? I noticed that one parcel was tied with mohair laces while eddowes also had in her possession a pair of men's boots w mohair laces. I assume this means mohair was very common? I also remembering reading that one of the torso parcels was tied with a specific type of marine knot although I can't seem to find it now. What does this knot indicate? Also about the plugging...was this ever in practice in any professions? Did the torso killer learn to plug the anus from working with animals or is it a trick he learned from the previous torsos?
    Hi Rocky,

I may be remembering incorrectly but I believe the anus is plugged shortly after someone has died, either in the hospital if the person died there or by the undertaker's assistant.

Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
      England was the leading producer of mohair in the LVP, so they'd presumably be easier to obtain there than elsewhere. While mohair fabric was considered a luxury item, I believe I have read (I can't find a cite) that there was demand for mohair and mohair blend shoelaces for workmen, as they wouldn't bind up like cotton or leather when they got wet.
      He looks cute in his mohair suit
      and he always keeps his pockets full of spending loot

They don't write them like that any more - thank God!
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Carol View Post
        Hi Rocky,

I may be remembering incorrectly but I believe the anus is plugged shortly after someone has died, either in the hospital if the person died there or by the undertaker's assistant.

Carol
        Very interesting thanks carol. It's in the ripper profile that he possibly works with death bodies so that just brings us back to morticians assistant, morgue worker. And I do imagine a morticians assistant would be used to Standing on the side?

Comment

Debs has found references to plugging as a method used in abortions, and so there is the speculation that Elizabeth Jackson may have been prepared, medically, for such a procedure at the time of her death. While the plugging itself would not have led to an aborted pregnancy, it's used in conjunction with medicinal herbs/poisons. So, from this it has been suggested that Elizabeth Jackson possibly died from a botched abortion. Postmortem exam found no signs of the 'medicine' used since so much of Jackson's digestive system was removed prior to the disposal of her body.

JM
          Last edited by jmenges; 01-10-2015, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
            Debs has found references to plugging as a method used in abortions, and so there is the speculation that Elizabeth Jackson may have been prepared, medically, for such a procedure at the time of her death. While the plugging itself would not have led to an aborted pregnancy, it's used in conjunction with medicinal herbs/poisons. So, from this it has been suggested that Elizabeth Jackson possibly died from a botched abortion. Postmortem exam found no signs of the 'medicine' used since so much of Jackson's digestive system was removed prior to the disposal of her body.

JM
            Hi JM, that was also the doctors opinion that it was an abortion. Maybe there really is something to that

Comment

Reading the inquest what stood out to me was how dark it was in the vault. A few of the workers saw the parcel containing the torso a couple times, with a light and still didn't realize it was a torso. How did Torso get into the vault and why did he leave a torso there? Was he one of the workers or did he a connection to the building before construction began? What was the building before? In my opinion, the Jackson torso could be the best bet for uncovering the murderers identity.

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                Reading the inquest what stood out to me was how dark it was in the vault. A few of the workers saw the parcel containing the torso a couple times, with a light and still didn't realize it was a torso. How did Torso get into the vault and why did he leave a torso there? Was he one of the workers or did he a connection to the building before construction began? What was the building before? In my opinion, the Jackson torso could be the best bet for uncovering the murderers identity.
                Why could it be "the best bet"?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                  Why could it be "the best bet"?

Regards, Pierre
                  I meant the whitehall torso because of the dump site, but I'm not sure why I posted in the Jackson thread. But Jackson is probably a better bet since we know her identity.

Comment

Working...
                  X