Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
    Hardly in the dark, it was daylight at that time.
    Thanks.

London is considerably north of where I live.

But in Tennessee, USA., 5:30 a.m. is always dark. In the summer, it might be beginning to come light at 5:30, but would still be mostly dark.

So, I've learned I can't relate things like that.

Again, thanks.

Comment

sunrise

Hello Curious. Sunrise on that date seems to have been 5:23.

The best.
      LC

Comment

Interesting. Thanks.

I went to http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html

and found that sunrise in 2009 on Sept. 8 was 6:24.

Any idea why an hour's difference? (We have Daylight Savings time locally. Does London also? And is that the right direction for the time difference? --- need more coffee!)

curious

Comment

time

Hello Curious. Good point. Humankind's fiddling with the clock is a very likely explanation for that 1 hour difference..

The best.
          LC

Comment

Since the thread is What Does it Mean and pertains to the language being used, perhaps the GSG should be added to the phrases here that are being looked at for their intentions.

In my opinion much of the humor Ive read from the LVP is subdued, kind of tongue-in-cheek or sarcastic. Perhaps thats to maintain the dignity and composure that went along with Victorian morality. Even the cartoons in the local papers poked sarcastic fingers at the police during the Ripper series, and we have at least one prominent author who wrote a letter that was presented as having been written by Jesus Christ.

With that in mind, I believe a possible meaning can be extracted from the graffito message, and if Im correct, it would link the apron and the GSG pretty conclusively.

Best regards all.

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
              "You would say anything but your prayers". It seems the kind of thing one would only say to someone only after having spent some considerable time with them and getting to know them a bit, meaning Jack strolled around with Liz for some time chatting her up...
              In fact, it suggests a much longer period of familiarity, Ken - indeed, it sounds exactly like he sort of knowing leg-pull you'd use on a well-established acquaintance. I'm not pushing any agenda here. It really does strike me as that kind of remark.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I agree with Sam on this one. I'm familiar with this expression, and it does suggest to me a degree of friendship and even affection. It also suggests they knew each other well and it's a very local expression.

Comment

Anyone care to take a guess what "Not tonight. Some other night." could be referring to?

Or how about some of the things MJK said to her man like,

She laughs after he whispers something and she says, "alright."

He responds "You will be alright for what I have told you."
                  I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

As far as "Not tonight. Some other night." goes, it says to me she is firmly stating she is not seeking business at that time, or at least, not with that person. The remark "You will be alright..." says to me he was giving her a 'tip' or 'tip off', perhaps trying to solicit her services without any actual cash!

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
                      Since the thread is What Does it Mean and pertains to the language being used, perhaps the GSG should be added to the phrases here that are being looked at for their intentions.

I believe a possible meaning can be extracted from the graffito message, and if Im correct, it would link the apron and the GSG pretty conclusively.

Best regards all.

I'd like to hear what you have in mind.

curious

Comment

Hi.
                        In the case of Stride, I believe it is extremely likely that she had already serviced a client in the yard , before 'broadshouldered approached, which may explain why the cashous were in her hand, and it could well be that when her client left the yard and moved off, BS approached. which may have been a similar scenerio with Chapman. the previous victim.
                        'No not tonight , some other night ' may have been a refusal for sexual intercourse, but the sweetmeats may have been used for the aftermath of oral sex.
                        'You will be alright , for what I have told you', words allegedly spoken by Astrakan, seem rather a strange way of phrasing to me, could it be non english?
                        Regards Richard.

Comment

Working...
                        X