No announcement yet.

Barlow and Watt investigate the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the first place I heard about the c5.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by JennyL View Post
      I'm so grateful that they're posted(though I sadly missed the missing ep #1).
      Just to repeat - it's still available here:

Originally posted by JennyL View Post
      I was dismayed with proffered solution(or one of them, I gather): the dark portents of the Masonic idea (I only got as far as the end of ep 4) but after all, it was-what? 1973? given everything, they did their homework and it showed. Kudos from me.
      In the end I thought they were reasonably sceptical about all the proffered solutions. Considering how much rubbish they were fed by a hoaxer and (probably) by one of their own researchers I don't think they acquitted themselves too badly.

Comment

It seems strange to me that this hasn't been picked up for official DVD release by the company Network DVD. After all, some of the programmes they see fit to release on disc are incredibly obscure, and are certainly not anything high profile enough to warrant a cover on the Radio Times like B&W did back in the 70s.

All the best
        Andrew

Comment

I was extremely impressed by it on the whole. On no real evidence I had expected it to be a rather "hokey" and unsophisticated production. Now that I've seen it, I think of it more as the "Forsyte Saga" of Ripper documentaries - and more sophisticated than any of the more recent ones I've seen. Also much funnier (in parts) than I'd expected - particularly the portrayals of Anderson, Mrs Maxwell and Dr Dutton (but did Anderson really smoke huge cigars?).

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
            That's the first place I heard about the c5.
            So maybe if you can erase just that memory, you can finally be free again Stan...

No C5... or C6.... or C7.......just unsolved murders....like they really are.....now thats the ticket.

Cheers Stan

Comment

I just loved the whole thing. (It may be that this was shown on the CBC back in the day because, I must say, some of it seemed to echo in my memory.) Anyway, it's a fine production. As others have said, if it were available on DVD, I'd snap up a copy.

Comment

I saw it on PBS here in USA.

Sorry Mike, I've been imprinted like a baby duck.
                This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Apart from Bob, another vendor is selling DVDs of the series for $17 - about £10 in proper money.

I know, cos I've just bought one.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Actually, I'd rather buy it from Bob because he is one of "us". But, Bob, I have two questions:

1) Are your copies legal; and,
                    2) Will they play on North American machines?

And, thank you, Stan. I hadn't realized that it was shown on PBS. No matter where I've lived in Canada, we always seemed to be able to pick up a PBS channel, so perhaps that's where I saw it.

Comment

I got them off of a torrent site last week. They're pretty good except for the timecode bar in some episodes. I wish there were pristine copies available.
                      “A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent." - William Blake

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        but did Anderson really smoke huge cigars?
                        ... whilst quaffing brandy at the same time

Nice little cameo by the actor, whoever he was. He got the "good and smug and unctuous" (Watt's description, not mine!) aspect of Anderson's character - as scripted - just right.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          Nice little cameo by the actor, whoever he was.
                          It would be interesting to see a cast list. I got the impression that most of the parts were taken by unknowns. I think there were only two actors I recognised in the whole five hours - Christopher Benjamin and Kenneth Colley.

Comment

Hi Chris

Here is the cast list:

Jack the Ripper: With Stratford Johns, Frank Windsor, Frank Duncan, Alan Cullen. The highly popular detective pair from the series Softly, Softly, Barlow and Watt, try to solve the old mystery of Jack The Ripper in this documentary series.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                              Hi Chris

Here is the cast list:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071001/

Thanks, but IMDB seems to have covered only a small proportion of the cast - no Anderson, alas!

Comment

Working...
                              X