1940's murders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940's murders

Does anyone know of any 40's murders other than Haigh/Heath/Cummins etc anything unusual/unsolved ?
    Many thanks

Hi Veronica,

Are you just looking for British multiples as per your examples? Otherwise, there are thousands.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Brain not working properly today...Was the Lower Quinton 'Black Magic' murder '40's....?..Seem to recall POW's being suspected......
      Steve

Comment

Hi Steve

Thanks for the repy

No got books on the Witchcraft murders with Charles Walton & Bella in the Well etc even had a look at Times archive but not much there any ideas ?

Comment

Hi Stan

Thanks for the reply yes looking for either but must be unsolved if possible also noticed your in the States, do you know anything about Harvey Glatman & San Diego serial killer in the 1930s ? about 6 women killed never solved very little online about either case would be grateful for any info

Comment

Glatman was in the 50s and is solved.

I have at least one book that gives an account of the San Diego case but it sounds so sketchy that I wonder if I should believe it ever really happened. If it did, the methods seem different enough that I'm not sure why they thought it was one killer. Maybe they had a description that matched or something.

The top cases from the forties, in my view, would be Black Dahlia, Lord Errol, Harry Oakes and Texarkana Phantom. There are other "good" ones as well.

Stan Reid

Comment

Wasn't there something about a girl hung from a tree in the San Diego one ?? they all sounded quite gory but i cant find anything on them, did find some old newspaper stuff which seems to authenticate them but very confusing ...

Comment

Brighton

Originally posted by Veronica76 View Post
                Does anyone know of any 40's murders other than Haigh/Heath/Cummins etc anything unusual/unsolved ?
                Many thanks
                There was the murder of Mrs. Florence Elizabeth Buckley, aged 47, whose body was found on a flat roof behind her dance studio (she was a dance instructress) on November 2, 1940. She lived at Mitre House, Brighton. Screams, growing fainter, were heard that night when a search was being made for her as she had been missed.
                SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Hi Stewart

Tyou so much for this never heard of this one and im always on the lookout for new ones, what was the cuase of death ?
                  I did have a book on Brighton murders but it didnt have this one

Comment

Wasn't there something about a girl hung from a tree in the San Diego one ?? they all sounded quite gory but i cant find anything on them, did find some old newspaper stuff which seems to authenticate them but very confusing ...
                    The account I have says that the crimes were brought up after the Short murder.

Yes, supposedly a girl named Louise Teuber was found hanging in a tree. Some were said to be tortured, some raped - some were said to be killed by strangulation, some by stabbing and some by beating. I don't really see a pattern except that all the victims were female, even then, there were likely men beaten and stabbed to death there too in that time period.

Stan Reid

Comment

Odd

Hi Stewart
                      Tyou so much for this never heard of this one and im always on the lookout for new ones, what was the cuase of death ?
                      I did have a book on Brighton murders but it didnt have this one
                      It was an odd case, she used the studio as a club. There had been several people in the room that night and a witness, Mrs. Buckley, left at 10.00 pm. Some of the injuries could have been caused by the fall from the window opening onto the roof, but not all of them. Some might even have been caused by the wheel of a vehicle. It was thought that she was carried to the window by more than one person. The verdict of 'murder by persons unknown' was returned by the jury.
                      SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Hi Stewart

Sounds strange, so did she actally have a definate cause of death ? and was she possibly involved in things she shouldn't have been ?...........

Comment

Something new every day

Good heavens

I've just come across this thread...when I first left school my very first job was at Mitre House, Brighton...

And I knew nothing of the Buckley case until now. I suppose I'd better gen up on it!

All the best

Dave

Comment

What about Dr John Bodkin-Adams in Eastbourne? A number of his wealthy female patients met their Maker while he was attending them, but he was acquitted at his trial, so the murders are technically still unsolved.

Graham
                            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I think the Lord Errol case is a classic.Pretty much like a high society film. It would be great for a a group discussion.

Comment

Working...
                              X