Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.
Ripper Notes: Status of Ripper Notes? - by C. F. Leon 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by rjpalmer 7 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 8 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 11 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (10 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (3 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (2 posts)
General Discussion: Do you think it will be solved? - (1 posts)
Ripper Notes: Status of Ripper Notes? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Police Officials and Procedures > General Police Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-10-2016, 01:14 PM
Hamrammr Hamrammr is offline
Constable
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Posts: 74
Default Swanson's notes on Stride's murder

Hi,

I was recently looking at Swanson's report on Stride's murder, and saw that one section of his margin notes (he can't seem to leave the margin alone) is scribbled out. Has anyone deciphered this? I've had a go and it seems to mention 1.35am twice, the other words would take longer to work out. Just wondered if anyone had already done this and could save me the time.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...psnv6thvxu.jpg
__________________
"We want to assemble all the incomplete movements, like cubists, until the point is reached where the crime can commit itself."
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-10-2016, 03:02 PM
Errata Errata is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tennessee, U.S.
Posts: 2,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrammr View Post
Hi,

I was recently looking at Swanson's report on Stride's murder, and saw that one section of his margin notes (he can't seem to leave the margin alone) is scribbled out. Has anyone deciphered this? I've had a go and it seems to mention 1.35am twice, the other words would take longer to work out. Just wondered if anyone had already done this and could save me the time.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...psnv6thvxu.jpg
I get some other words... I think the first sentence is something like

---- ----- back to back began at 1:35 and by that time the ----- ---- ---- ---- murdered.

And that's all I can get without actual study. Probably not helpful. And it might not be "back to back" but just "--- to back."
__________________
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2016, 04:55 PM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,641
Default

I had a go at this some months ago, but lost interest

I chose to erase the loops with the background colour, or as near as I could get.
Once that was done then you would be left with partial letters that can be interpreted by simply standing back and squinting.

I didn't finish the process though..

__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Pandora Pandora is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
I had a go at this some months ago, but lost interest

I chose to erase the loops with the background colour, or as near as I could get.
Once that was done then you would be left with partial letters that can be interpreted by simply standing back and squinting.

I didn't finish the process though..

Jon, I tried your method of trying to decipher it, and here's my attempt.

And when I squint, I think I can read the first paragragh as something like this... "(This) (I) (said) to have been at 1:35 : by (that) (time) the (….) had (…..) (definitely) murder."
Attached Images
 
__________________
Cheers,
Pandora.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2016, 06:29 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
Jon, I tried your method of trying to decipher it, and here's my attempt.

And when I squint, I think I can read the first paragragh as something like this... "(This) (I) (said) to have been at 1:35 : by (that) (time) the (….) had (…..) (definitely) murder."
I read that 1st bit o be

"Thus it's said to have been at 1:35"

I'll be back when I've nutter on it a bit further.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2016, 06:32 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,354
Default

The world?? Had (two words I think) murder


Or possibly


He would had (have at a stretch).......... Murder.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,641
Default

It might help to grasp the context if we knew what portion of the report this marginal notes was connected to.

"This is said to have been at 1.35" seems to flow, but with reference to what?

Maybe Hamrammr can help us out here?

Thats a reasonable attempt Pandora, you might have got the gist of that first bit.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2016, 08:44 PM
Pandora Pandora is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
I read that 1st bit o be

"Thus it's said to have been at 1:35"

I'll be back when I've nutter on it a bit further.
Yes that makes more sense, how's this?

(Thus) (it’s) (said) to have been at 1:35 : by (that) (time) the (scoundrel) had (…..) (definitely) murder.
__________________
Cheers,
Pandora.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2016, 08:47 PM
Pandora Pandora is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
It might help to grasp the context if we knew what portion of the report this marginal notes was connected to.

"This is said to have been at 1.35" seems to flow, but with reference to what?

Maybe Hamrammr can help us out here?

Thats a reasonable attempt Pandora, you might have got the gist of that first bit.
Thanks Jon, I did it in rather a rush, so I'll have another crack at tidying it up when I get time.

Your question is a good one, it would be good to know the context of what the surrounding text was referring to.
__________________
Cheers,
Pandora.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Pandora Pandora is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
The world?? Had (two words I think) murder


Or possibly


He would had (have at a stretch).......... Murder.
I think the last letter on the 3rd line is a "y" so something ending with that I think. I may be grasping at straws with "definitely" though.
__________________
Cheers,
Pandora.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.