Sergeant Stephen White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Richard

How can you date this event to September 30th, and why do you say that White was on Berner St? On the other thread you express doubts.

Comment

• As noted in the other thread, Sgt. White was almost certainly describing the scene of Alice McKenzie's slaying, Castle Alley.

John
      "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
      Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
        As noted in the other thread, Sgt. White was almost certainly describing the scene of Alice McKenzie's slaying, Castle Alley.

John
        I've always thought Castle Alley the best fit (of a bad selection) for White's claim of a sighting.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• The Truth about the Whitechapel Mysteries told by Harry Cox
          Ex-Detective Inspector, London City Police. Specially written for "Thomson's Weekly News" 1906

There were several other officers with me, and I think there can be no harm in stating that the opinion of most of them was that the man they were watching had something to do with the crimes. You can imagine that never once did we allow him to quit our sight. The least slip and another brutal crime might have been perpetrated under our very noses. It was not easy to forget that already one of them had taken place at the very moment when one of our smartest colleagues was passing the top of the dimly lit street.

I wonder if Henry Cox was talking about White in this last sentence here?

Pat................

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            The Truth about the Whitechapel Mysteries told by Harry Cox
            Ex-Detective Inspector, London City Police. Specially written for "Thomson's Weekly News" 1906

There were several other officers with me, and I think there can be no harm in stating that the opinion of most of them was that the man they were watching had something to do with the crimes. You can imagine that never once did we allow him to quit our sight. The least slip and another brutal crime might have been perpetrated under our very noses. It was not easy to forget that already one of them had taken place at the very moment when one of our smartest colleagues was passing the top of the dimly lit street.

I wonder if Henry Cox was talking about White in this last sentence here?
            Yes, I think it's very likely. White is described in very similar terms in newspaper articles quoted on the first page of this thread - "One of the smartest detectives the force has ever known."

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Hi Richard

How can you date this event to September 30th, and why do you say that White was on Berner St? On the other thread you express doubts.
              Hi Robert,

I say White was on Berner Street on September 30, because that is what Ripper Casebook, which you support, tells us.

http://wiki.casebook.org/index.php/Stephen_White

If White was indeed on Berner Street on the day of the double murder, it is probable that his encounter occurred at the location of one of the double murders for that day. This would be either near the gateway to Dutfield’s Yard in Berner Street, or an entrance to Mitre Square. I believe it to be a far more believable premise than Castle Alley. Although I am confident that he was at Berner Street, Sept 30th, I have doubts as to where he was during the time of either of the double murders. Or where he was for any of the murders. Regardless of which murder, or day, it seems as if White met an actual East End inhabitant, Francis Thompson.

Respectfully,
              Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/

Comment

• Yes Richard, he was there during the daytime. I thought you meant that he could be pinpointed as working there around the time of the murder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  Yes Richard, he was there during the daytime. I thought you meant that he could be pinpointed as working there around the time of the murder.
                  I see what you mean Robert. Sorry for such a long explanation, since we were both on the same page on this. I have nothing to pinpoint him to a location at the time of any of the murders.
                  Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X