Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    How do we know his labouring was occasional?
    Abberline's 12 Nov report of his statement says "Hutchinson is at present of no regular employment"

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
      Abberline's 12 Nov report of his statement says "Hutchinson is at present of no regular employment"
      ‘At present’.

How long does a man have to be out of ‘regular employment’ to lose track of the days of the week?

Comment

• Perhaps if the beer was in a pewter tankard for instance, it may have been hallmarked [maybe given as a gift]. Charles Bentley was one such maker. Which the killer, if it was blotchy may feel might lead to him,[if initialed,hallmarked].
        Also, this is a picture of a Victorian kettle of fish, used to poach fish in water.
        Looks a little like the object under Mary's bed

Comment

• Sorry for repeating myself but I find the idea that a man of probable means [Gold chain etc] would go up a notorious street in the middle of the night, and then into a room up a darkened court with a prostitute while all the time being followed by a man who stooped down to have a look at him very unlikely indeed.
          If just for his own safety. How did he know it wasn't a trap? And Hutch wasn't Mary's accomplice ready to mug him of his parcel and chain etc once up the court.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            We know from the Tabram case that fish'n'chips could be bought from a chandlers' shop in Thrawl Street until well past 1AM.
            Isn't that just where Hutchinson first encountered Astrakhan Man? I've always wondered if Hutchinson's "American cloth parcel" was actually a greasy parcel of fish and chips. It would have had to be very hot to need a strap, though.

There were also two bakeries (fish and potato pie?) North and South of the Queen Ann pub, and a restaurant (of some sort) directly opposite Dorset St, according to Goad.

Since Whitechapel was apparently known for the odour of fried fish that pervaded the air, it's a fair bet there were several plaices(!) selling fish and chips within spitting distance.
            Not to mention that Kelly's last meal could even have been cooked in any lodging house kitchen.

Comment

‘At present’.

How long does a man have to be out of ‘regular employment’ to lose track of the days of the week?
              Don't know. I find it hard enough to keep track enen when working.

Comment

Isn't that just where Hutchinson first encountered Astrakhan Man? I've always wondered if Hutchinson's "American cloth parcel" was actually a greasy parcel of fish and chips. It would have had to be very hot to need a strap, though.

There were also two bakeries (fish and potato pie?) North and South of the Queen Ann pub, and a restaurant (of some sort) directly opposite Dorset St, according to Goad.

Since Whitechapel was apparently known for the odour of fried fish that pervaded the air, it's a fair bet there were several plaices(!) selling fish and chips within spitting distance.
                Not to mention that Kelly's last meal could even have been cooked in any lodging house kitchen.
                I doubt the chippies would have been open in the early hours, though.

Comment

• I don't know if American cloth could be mistaken for paper but what I do know is I have never known fish and chips being served in anything with a strap on it.
                  Last edited by Darryl Kenyon; 12-02-2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Don't know. I find it hard enough to keep track enen when working.
                    Me too (before I saw the light and took early retirement).

But the point at issue is whether an intelligent young man, reliant for a period on casual work, would lose track of time.

I think probably not.

Comment

I doubt the chippies would have been open in the early hours, though.
                      At 1:40a.m. on the morning of the murder, Joseph and Elizabeth Mahoney returned home to their rooms at 37 George Yard Building after having enjoyed the bank holiday out. After getting Joseph settled, Elizabeth left again to fetch some supper from a chandler’s shop on Thrawl Street, returning within five minutes. - Wescott, Tom. The Bank Holiday Murders.

Ohhh... could be the same one.

The testimony of James Brown, a dock labourer, of 35 Fairclough Street, is more problematical. At about 12.45 on Sunday morning Brown was returning from a chandler’s shop at the junction of Fairclough and Berner Streets to his home when he saw a man and a woman standing at the corner of the board school. The woman was facing the man and standing with her back to the wall. The man was bending over her, his arm resting on the wall above her head. As he passed them Brown heard the woman say: ‘Not tonight, some other night.’ The man’s height was about five feet seven inches and he was wearing a dark overcoat, so long that it nearly came down to his heels. Brown did not think that either of the two were drunk. - Sugden, Philip. The Complete History of Jack the Ripper.

That one is open quite late it seems.

There are also supper runs by some of the witnesses to the later non-canonical murders.
                      Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

I seem to remember reading accounts of people bringing plates to these places as if their food would be put on the plate there and then, and they carry it back somewhere to eat.

Foreigners are not unknown to bring food containers with them. A strap would likely have been a fixture used often if it was for carrying wrapped food. A soggy newspaper fish and chip package would indeed look like designer cloth if oily and at night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Batman View Post
                          At 1:40a.m. on the morning of the murder, Joseph and Elizabeth Mahoney returned home to their rooms at 37 George Yard Building after having enjoyed the bank holiday out. After getting Joseph settled, Elizabeth left again to fetch some supper from a chandler’s shop on Thrawl Street, returning within five minutes. - Wescott, Tom. The Bank Holiday Murders.

Ohhh... could be the same one.

The testimony of James Brown, a dock labourer, of 35 Fairclough Street, is more problematical. At about 12.45 on Sunday morning Brown was returning from a chandler’s shop at the junction of Fairclough and Berner Streets to his home when he saw a man and a woman standing at the corner of the board school. The woman was facing the man and standing with her back to the wall. The man was bending over her, his arm resting on the wall above her head. As he passed them Brown heard the woman say: ‘Not tonight, some other night.’ The man’s height was about five feet seven inches and he was wearing a dark overcoat, so long that it nearly came down to his heels. Brown did not think that either of the two were drunk. - Sugden, Philip. The Complete History of Jack the Ripper.

That one is open quite late it seems.

There are also supper runs by some of the witnesses to the later non-canonical murders.

Chandlers shops, yes, but fried fish shops?

I can’t imagine McCarthy serving fish and chips at 2 in the morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Batman View Post
                            I seem to remember reading accounts of people bringing plates to these places as if their food would be put on the plate there and then, and they carry it back somewhere to eat.
                            Correct.
                            A soggy newspaper fish and chip package would indeed look like designer cloth if oily and at night.
                            A newspaper bundle containing fish and chips wouldn't be mistaken for American cloth with a (presumably leather) strap around it.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Chandlers shops, yes, but fried fish shops?

I can’t imagine McCarthy serving fish and chips at 2 in the morning.
                              You probably had a choice of three suppers.

Fish

Potatoes

Fish and Potatoes

Probably the staple diet of Dorset St and late night drinkers going home.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                                Correct.A newspaper bundle containing fish and chips wouldn't be mistaken for American cloth with a (presumably leather) strap around it.
                                Shiny looking material. I think it could.

Comment

Working...
                                X